Low HR Training

Newbie question (Read 454 times)

Dimat

I just started running a couple weeks ago. My goal is to run 30 minutes 3 times a week, increase mileage within that time. I'm doing this just for general health. I do lift heavy 3 times a week and like to swim a couple times a week also although my swimming leaves alot to be desired but I enjoy it.

So my question will LHR work for me? It sounds really appealing and I feel I get enough of a anaerobic workout from lifting. I mentioned how bad I was at swimming? Lets just say I don't really count that in my workout and usually do it after I lift.

Just messing around with my heart rate monitor I did one run with a couple 2 minute breaks at 171 pulse. Lowered my range from 154 to162 and 4th run was able to keep my pulse easily at around 160 and took a 2 minute break 12 minutes into my run than ran 8 more minutes with the last 2 sprinting 30 seconds jog 30 repeat to see what my HR would get to. I actually didn't mean to sprint for 30, I just ran all out and it worked out.At the end of the run I felt I probably didn't need to take the 2 minute break. I'm 42 and weigh 214.

Last paragraph was probably was useless info but added it just in case. Anyways do you think the Maffetone method would work and give me good results?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

. My goal is to run 30 minutes 3 times a week, increase mileage within that time.

I'm 42 and weigh 214.

180-42= HR 138 MAFF max. Did  you read FAQ?Your goal appears to be to broad.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

If you're looking for general health, the Maffetone Method is just fine--health is the core of the method. You're MAF would be in the neighborhood of 133-138, depending on how you figure it. For beginners, I usually suggest that if you run and can't keep your HR at or under your MAF, then you should probably walk for awhile, until you can't walk fast enough to get your HR to MAF. It's a great way to build your legs and aerobic system before you start running. If you can run and stay at your MAF, then run. That's also a great way to start out. It keeps you from overdoing it, and running into the problems a lot of beginners run into (over-training and injury). Check out Dr. Phil's website for more information, if you haven't already.

--Jimmy

Dimat

180-42= HR 138 MAFF max. Did  you read FAQ?Your goal appears to be to broad.

I haven't actually used the method yet. My weight isn't really and issue to me. I generally weigh about 225 when I start getting to the top of my lifts. I'm adding the cardio(running) just for general health but I would like to be fast aerobically during 30 minute time frame that I will be running in. Of course it would be nice to have another weight loss tool in my arsenal.

I guess I can add that I've fought running for years (I used to run half marathons, 10k's and 5k's 20-24 yrs ago) but finally decided to bite the bullet and do it after many false starts through the years. Problem I've always had is running to fast and getting discouraged and quitting. I'm actually pleased that after just four runs how much I've improved using my HM as an aid to pace myself and looking forward to my Monday run.

I did read the FAQ and it mentioned that for 15 miles or less this might not be a good method but since it was written years ago I posted my question.

I am curious to see how fast I improve running with my heart rate so slow and am hoping I am actually running the whole time rather than walk/run. I have a nice 1.5 mile course near my house so it will be easy to track my distance.

My intention is to run then lift in the morning or if I can lift in the afternoon that would let me add more running on swim days if I felt like it.

BtW that boiler plate post was just a wall of text and unreadable.

BeeRunB

I haven't actually used the method yet. My weight isn't really and issue to me. I generally weigh about 225 when I start getting to the top of my lifts. I'm adding the cardio(running) just for general health but I would like to be fast aerobically during 30 minute time frame that I will be running in. Of course it would be nice to have another weight loss tool in my arsenal.

I guess I can add that I've fought running for years (I used to run half marathons, 10k's and 5k's 20-24 yrs ago) but finally decided to bite the bullet and do it after many false starts through the years. Problem I've always had is running to fast and getting discouraged and quitting. I'm actually pleased that after just four runs how much I've improved using my HM as an aid to pace myself and looking forward to my Monday run.

I did read the FAQ and it mentioned that for 15 miles or less this might not be a good method but since it was written years ago I posted my question.

I am curious to see how fast I improve running with my heart rate so slow and am hoping I am actually running the whole time rather than walk/run. I have a nice 1.5 mile course near my house so it will be easy to track my distance.

My intention is to run then lift in the morning or if I can lift in the afternoon that would let me add more running on swim days if I felt like it.

BtW that boiler plate post was just a wall of text and unreadable.

That initial boilerplate got scrunched when Eric the RA engineer switched something in the code. A lot of posts that were well put together got turned into hard-to-read blobs..

My point about walking is that if you can't run and keep your HR at or under MAF, then your aerobic system is in sorry shape. A lot of beginners come into running carrying a lot of extra weight with aerobic systems that are almost nil--so I usually suggest walking. It's actually how I started out. I became such a good walker that when I started running I didn't have any problems with health and actually raced half-decently. It's a way to prepare your body.

Good luck with your health goals.Cool

--Jimmy

Dimat

Well I did my first 30 minute shuffle today. I walked a couple times but it was like 10-20 seconds a shot. I finally stopped walking and would give my heart a little time to come down. I only topped at 144 and my average was 136 bpm for the run, I mean shuffle. I did approx 2 miles in 30 minutes. Pretty slow I could have walked faster than that but I figured even though I was shuffling it was closer to running with the pushing off and so forth.  Hopefully I'll see some improvement soon.

I didn't go the gym right afterwards although I might later. If anything the run was a good warm up before lifting. I do think I'll swim tomorrow after I run.

Dimat

How long is it recommended to build a base before doing any faster runs?

Well I did my first 30 minute shuffle today. I walked a couple times but it was like 10-20 seconds a shot. I finally stopped walking and would give my heart a little time to come down. I only topped at 144 and my average was 136 bpm for the run, I mean shuffle. I did approx 2 miles in 30 minutes. Pretty slow I could have walked faster than that but I figured even though I was shuffling it was closer to running with the pushing off and so forth.  Hopefully I'll see some improvement soon.

I didn't go the gym right afterwards although I might later. If anything the run was a good warm up before lifting. I do think I'll swim tomorrow after I run.

3x 30mins a week will sooner or later be too little running to improve further. but if you want it ONLY for health reasons then this is enough, no need to "improve" or "get faster" or do "faster runs". so decide what your goals are.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

If anything the run was a good warm up before lifting. I do think I'll swim tomorrow after I run.

30. I like to lift weights – do I need to stop?

Weightlifting is anaerobic, so in theory it can interfere. I kept up my upper body weightlifting, with somewhat heavy weights and still saw great progress. Lower body may be more of a problem.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/