Low HR Training

Newbie Question: Running at MAF - Interpreting "Want Speed? Slow Down!" (Read 34 times)

SD_BlackHills

SD, it really sounds to me like it's the watch. If your heart doesn't feel like it's racing faster and your breathing isn't labored, then it must be the watch blipping out as watches will do. Have you tried taking your pulse manually for 10 seconds when this happens (the multiply by six)? If your pulse is truly 170 when this happens, then it's not the watch.

You have surprisingly little HR drift, which indicates either good aerobic development or low body fat and good heat dissipation, or a combination.

Wow, do I feel dumb.  I don't know why I didn't think to check my HR manually.  I probably sub-consciously ruled it out because it's been so cold out and taking my gloves off would not be fun.  Technically I could pull my phone out and use it to start a 10 second timer.  I'm used to doing this because I've actually been relying on the manual method when I lap swim because my watch can't do it.  There is a handy digital timer on the wall there that's always counting down.

I probably have "OK" aerobic development, but still could use a lot of improvement as I'm very new to MAFing.  I have been running regularly for almost 2 years now though so even though I haven't been building my base even close to properly, it still must have developed somewhat.  My BMI tends to fluctuate in the 21's so I don't have a lot of excess body fat.

SD_BlackHills

This morning, I was cruising along for several miles at about 142-143 bpm range as displayed by my watch. Perfect. But all of the sudden it spiked to 166, then 168 then 171. Great, here we go again...

Instead of slowing down like I normally do, I checked my heart rate manually and came up with 144 (24 count in 10 seconds). So, I took the watch off my wrist and it continued to read in the upper 160's for about a full minute even though it was off my wrist. So I stopped my workout, saved it, let it sync to garmin connect and started a new workout. Started jogging again and ran for another full hour at a readout in the low 140's without issue.

I've posted my experience on the Garmin VivoActive HR forums.  Best case scenario would be other users of this watch, would report similar issues and it would be corrected via a firmware update. I'm not holding my breath for that.

Supposedly, the Scosche Rhythm armband may work with the VivoActive HR.  I might try that.