Low HR Training

MAF test (Read 499 times)

2011 Redding (CA)

Flower, Thanks for the kind words. Much running success in the future ... and best wishes for injury-free conditions. The Eugene Marathon is only 3-4 years old, but I did run the earlier edition (called the Nike/OTC Marathon) quite a few years, and the courses are very similar. For the past couple of years, I've had the best success with running only three days a week: Mon (10 miles), Wed (10 miles), and Fri (17, 19, or 21 miles on alternating weeks). During the winter months (Nov-Feb) the training is 90% LHR pace and a little bit of tempo pace. Although I normally plan to run 10-12 marathons each year, I focus on two in the month of May. The rest are to travel with the family a bit ... and see other parts of the country. Of course, Marathon Maniacs like to brag a lot, so I try to do well in all marathons (race them rather than use them as training runs). On "rest" days, I often walk with my wife, ride my bicycle, or just plain loaf. Many contemporary writers suggest that the largest benefits from training occur on the "rest" (recovery) days. It allows the body to absorb the training, much like the body must absorb good vitamins and good food to be effective. Makes sense to me.

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)

wbr

Remember, it's total exercise, not just running. If you run 90 minutes, then do elliptical one hour+ the next, you haven't done an easy day. Try making your easy days 30 minutes total exercise, or rest completely. --Jimmy
      Jimmy, If I alternate 60 minute & 30 minute days, should this time include warm up & cool down or is that in addition? Bob
      BeeRunB

Jimmy, If I alternate 60 minute & 30 minute days, should this time include warm up & cool down or is that in addition? Bob
        I include my warm-up time as it is running. My first 15 minutes of running, I gradually get up to my target HR for the run (118-128). I don't include my cooldown, as I just walk very slowly for 15-20 minutes after runs oof 1 hour or more. If you're going to run to cool down, I would count it. If you're going to run an hour in the a.m. and then do a brisk walk where your HR gets up there, then the walk will add stress, whether you count it or not. You might take a running day off, but do an hour of bike--it might oor might not inhibit proper recovery. That's the essence of it. Everything adds up. Your MAF tests, the way your body feels, and your overall training times (and race times as well) will tell you if it's too much. I've been using 30 minute recovery runs, with a very easy 5-10 minute walk after. In the past, my recovery days were 45 minutes or more, and sometimes doubles. This time around, I'm progressing just as fast with just 30 minutes once, so why increase it? --jimmy