Low HR Training

ARTICLE: Taking No Carbs Before Or During Training Boosts Endurance (Read 761 times)

BeeRunB

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

very interesting. Blew it already today, just finished a banana with peanut butter...LOL

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Good or bad, thats pretty much what I have been doing for over a year now. I find that I am carbohydrate intolerant and try to limit my intake of carbs. I rarelt ingest any carbs before a workout and only drink water when I'm going on a med-long to long run. I drink a protein shake to help with recovery after a workout.

I always figured that if I was MAFfing and training my body to burn fat, why would I want to take in a bunch of carbs? I've read that your body will burn through the carbs first if they are available, so why make them available.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I never feel the need to eat during a run or any race up to half marathon (haven't tried marathon, I think in that one it could be wise to drink some carbs). this is really just how I always was.

I read the article and I find this near the end of it interesting:

Do a depleted double. Exercise at 70-75 percent of maximum for 30 minutes to one hour without carbohydrate supplementation. Don't refuel primarily with carbs. Later in the day, do a second workout for one to three hours and include high-intensity work such as intervals.

I did that once, two runs one day and during that day I didn't refuel with carbs and so on. I actually hardly took any carbs in and did not even try to replace the lost calories because it was impossible anyway without eating carbs.

then next day I was still not to eat carbs in the morning, instead I was to run an easy 1 hour and then a few intervals right after the 1 hour run. trust me it sucked really hard in the intervals. the easy run before it was ok-ish, I had no problem keeping HR at around 175-177 (kept it below 180 to keep it easy). it did feel a bit weird as I felt a bit dizzy at times. the intervals were really bad though, my legs were pretty much dying, burning, all that. a bit of dizziness but that went away. the muscles were the bigger problem.

I don't know if it was a good idea for anything Smile I immediately reloaded the glycogen after all this and I did run a good half marathon a few days after that...I truly surprised myself how easily it went oxygen wise! but muscles felt weird/weak/burning for a while if I was running faster than 8 minute mile - during the race and in the following few weeks after race too. I attributed it to cold weather but not sure anymore if it was that. because they're fine now and we still have cold winter here.

if it wasn't the cold then maybe it was this glycogen depletion thing. I don't know. I'll just say I won't ever do intervals while nearly (not fully) glycogen depleted.

BeeRunB

I find it to be very important to carb up after these runs (all my runs are carb-free these days, and usually with no breakfast)--protein up, yes--but if I don't get in adequate carbs throughout the day, overall performance starts to suffer. I'll take in some nutrition during a half marathon (sports drink) after 30 minutes or so.

Good article.

--Jimmy

Its pretty interesting. I can race every distance except the marathon with no breakfast and no gels/gu's. The only marathon (out of the 5) that I have run successfully the whole way, I let in and took Gu's along the way. But didn't train with them. 

I find it to be very important to carb up after these runs (all my runs are carb-free these days, and usually with no breakfast)--protein up, yes--but if I don't get in adequate carbs throughout the day, overall performance starts to suffer. I'll take in some nutrition during a half marathon (sports drink) after 30 minutes or so.

Good article.

--Jimmy

I find it important too. especially if you are supposed to do intervals. so the muscles don't start eating themselves I guess Surprised this is why I reflected on that part in the article

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I will skip the banana before my next run.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Its pretty interesting. I can race every distance except the marathon with no breakfast and no gels/gu's. The only marathon (out of the 5) that I have run successfully the whole way, I let in and took Gu's along the way. But didn't train with them. 

I always use Gu in marathons as well. After 30-40 minutes, I start with them. My first two marathons, I ate pancakes an hour before the race in the first, and french toast about 2 hours before the second (if memory serves correct). I don't think it helped. The first, I hit a major early wall, the second, I had some cramping in my abdomen.

After some reading, I never take carbs closer than three hours to any race now, and not until after 30--40 minutes into it. I'll get up early on a Marathon day, and eat 3-4 hours before. Except for the breakdown at the Seattle Marathon (clear overtraining and ultimate incorrect pacing), I haven't had a problem with walls and cramps since.

Once the race is going, if you haven't sabotaged your fat-burning (i.e. PANCAKES 1 HOUR BEFORE THE RACE--look up Foolish Beginner Marathoner's Mistakes on Wikipedia and I'm listed there), then carbs during won't effect it and will only help (still need carbs to burn fat).

As C has said, gotta make sure you're getting enough after the workouts and in the uncrucial periods. Seems everytime I've tried to eat a lower % carb diet (e.g. going from 60-20-20 to 45-30-25), my speed at the same HR tanks. Heck, even 6 hours a week is a lot of working out, it can drain your stores, let alone the 10+ I and others here have done, or are doing. I also get cranky. Man oh man, do I get cranky. I still make the mistake of not eating enough from time to time (or letting the ratio slip into too much protein and too little carb)--it's not pleasant. The whole world becomes irritating. Have to call the Keebler Elven ParaCookiemedics and binge myself back to niceness.

--Jimmy

I don't get cranky from low carb diet but yeah I find performance does suffer.. though I was trying to do glycogen depletion so it was like only about 20% of the calories were carbs on the day when I ran a lot without replacing the carbs...so the effect was extreme.

BeeRunB

I don't get cranky from low carb diet but yeah I find performance does suffer.. though I was trying to do glycogen depletion so it was like only about 20% of the calories were carbs on the day when I ran a lot without replacing the carbs...so the effect was extreme.

Geez, maybe it's not the carbs  and I'm just a cranky  old poop. I just figured it HAD to be the carbs. I was an altar boy. I loved my mother. What happened to me?!!

Cooljimmy

Honestly, if your MAFfing, you should have plenty of energy with a low carb diet. As long as I stay easy as in LHR work, I'm not fatigued at all.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

Honestly, if your MAFfing, you should have plenty of energy with a low carb diet. As long as I stay easy as in LHR work, I'm not fatigued at all.

How low is low for you, BT?

--Jimmy

How low is low for you, BT?

--Jimmy

Maf (140) plus a couple for LHR. 60 net grams or less for carbs. When I say net, I subtract any fiber grams from the total carb intake, apparently they do not count. I try to get 25 grams of fiber a day so the total carb intake could be around 85 grams.

I've been doing a CKD (Cyclic Ketogenic Diet) while running, swimming and biking for quite some time with very little fatigue. With my upcoming intensive training I will be switching to a TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Diet) where I will consume 50-60 grams of high GI carbs about an hour before a workout to help with my glycogen stores for the increased intensity work. I also take about 30-50 grams of protein within 0.5 hours of the workout to aid the recovery process.

I've never really trained hard on a low carb diet before, so we'll see how it goes with the TKD diet.

MTA: I also plan on ingesting some GU's on long runs to see what works best for my stomach. I'm planning on trying an Olympic distance and maybe a Half Ironman distance triathlon this fall, so I know I will need to be fueling during those events.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

Maf (140) plus a couple for LHR. 60 net grams or less for carbs. When I say net, I subtract any fiber grams from the total carb intake, apparently they do not count. I try to get 25 grams of fiber a day so the total carb intake could be around 85 grams.

I've been doing a CKD (Cyclic Ketogenic Diet) while running, swimming and biking for quite some time with very little fatigue. With my upcoming intensive training I will be switching to a TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Diet) where I will consume 50-60 grams of high GI carbs about an hour before a workout to help with my glycogen stores for the increased intensity work. I also take about 30-50 grams of protein within 0.5 hours of the workout to aid the recovery process.

I've never really trained hard on a low carb diet before, so we'll see how it goes with the TKD diet.

MTA: I also plan on ingesting some GU's on long runs to see what works best for my stomach. I'm planning on trying an Olympic distance and maybe a Half Ironman distance triathlon this fall, so I know I will need to be fueling during those events.

Thanks. I'll make researching those diets part of my Borg-ian journey.

Just to be super clear: 60 net grams per day? Not counting carbs for the workout?

--Jimmy