Low HR Training

Nonrunners welcome? (Read 30 times)

Hilltopper72

Hilltopper

He actually preaches that?  Everyone else preaches that variability is good.  Maybe the whole world is wrong and he is right.

The cadence topic mystifies me.  I've averaged lap splits from 165 to almost 200 just running naturally.  Strange how when you speed up your stride length and cadence both increase and the inverse is true when slowing down.  Hills vary your stride, cadence and footstrike as well.  Seriously, how is it even possible not to heel strike going downhill?  And why is it bad?  I know some heel strikers that are 100x the runner that I am who get injured less than me.  (I'm told I'm a midfoot striker by people who have observed that actually seemed to care)

I think cadence is relative too.  I think what he means is that your cadence is correct(for you) because you are running at the correct speed.  I didn't mean to say that your cadence has to be 180 exactly or anything.

SD_BlackHills

I think cadence is relative too.  I think what he means is that your cadence is correct(for you) because you are running at the correct speed.  I didn't mean to say that your cadence has to be 180 exactly or anything.

Ah, gotcha.  I know a handful of guys who buy into that 180 bullcrap.  They literally will run their tempo paces (probably 7:30 or so) at 180 and their recovery runs at 180 (about 9:00 pace).  Basically, they argue that running 180 at all paces in all conditions is ideally 180 for everyone.  Whatever guys!

I think this happened because Jack Daniels noticed that a typical elite runner had a cadence of about 180 in races and put it in one of his books.  Then Runners World picks it up and all of the sudden it's some kind of rule of thumb.

Hilltopper72

Hilltopper

Ah, gotcha.  I know a handful of guys who buy into that 180 bullcrap.  They literally will run their tempo paces (probably 7:30 or so) at 180 and their recovery runs at 180 (about 9:00 pace).  Basically, they argue that running 180 at all paces in all conditions is ideally 180 for everyone.  Whatever guys!

I think this happened because Jack Daniels noticed that a typical elite runner had a cadence of about 180 in races and put it in one of his books.  Then Runners World picks it up and all of the sudden it's some kind of rule of thumb.

Yep I agree too.  How many people are elite runners?

nido

My brother does the 180 cadence.

A couple of months ago I read Katy Bowman's book Move Your DNA, which was frustratingly uneven. She seemed to throw everything at the wall just to see what would stick.

She really emphasized how unnatural pavement is and that our feet evolved to run and walk on uneven surfaces. Obviously, if you want to run fast in races on pavement, you would benefit from training there and it might be the case that on such an artificial surface one can do artificial things like run at a steady cadence (or steady hr). But we seem to naturally want to adjust our cadence, stride length and hrs in response to changes in environmental stimuli.

I recognize that science often shows that our intuition is wrong. But it really seems that sometimes the tail is wagging the dog. To a hammer everything looks like a nail and to a scientific instrument everything is reduced to the value it measures. Yes, we can measure steps- or heartbeats-per-minute. But that does not necessarily mean that we want to run at a constant cadence or hr. Obviously I am here because I think that there is a lot of value in building an aerobic base by keeping my hr below some level. But I got myself into trouble by gullibly trying to keep my hr constant on tricky downhills even when my brain was telling me to slow down.