Low HR Training

MAF and treadmill training (Read 43 times)

solarisrunner

I am a fairly new runner having started in early 2014 with some on and offs. In 2015 I ran my first half and finished with a slow time of 2:32.  After the race I didn't run too much until January of this year. Since January I have logged close to 800 miles and finished 4 half marathons. The first one being the same that I ran in 2015. This time I finished in 2:21. I ran another half marathon three weeks later and finished in 2:09. This was a downhill course with approximately 3000FT elevation drop. Fast forward to my last half I ran last week and finished with a time of 2:01.

Anyhow, I am really interested in MAF training as I want to eventually get my half times down to around 1:50 or even lower to help give me some confidence when I sign up for my first full.  I started a low heart rate training program in January called 80/20. A program introduced by Matt Fitzgerald. It incorporated mostly easy runs with two speed workouts per week. I don't know that I saw many results from this program. Sure I was a bit faster in May than I was in January though this could be contributed to the fact that I was running four days a week and had done so for the past four - five months.

In July of this year I started running at MAF which for me is 145bpm.  Because of the summer heat/humidity I took my runs indoors on the treadmill as I couldn't get my heart rate under 145 without a very slow snail walk.  I run with a Garmin Forerunner 230 which has a built-in accelerometer. However, I am having a big problem with accuracy and it is quite frustrating as I cannot gauge any progress.  My pace seems to be directly related to my arm swing. Either my arm swing is slow or the watch is off its rocker.  I generally warm up with the treadmill on 5.2mph which is about 11:30 min per mile.  At the end of the warm up I usually speed up closer to 11:00 min per mile.  However, like I mentioned my arm swing is directly related to what the watch sees. Sometimes when I am at 5.4 miles per minute the watch says I am going sub 11 and sometimes it says I am going nearly 12 or over.  So at the end of the run, lets say I ran 5 miles.  The watch shows for the mile splits:  10:57,  11:55,  11:47, 12:05, and 11:49.   All without my adjusting the pace on the treadmill.  And each run is different.

How on earth am I supposed to get an accurate reading so as to see if any progress is being made?

BeeRunB

If the treadmill is going 11:00 pace, then it doesn't matter what your watch says. Your splits were 11:00 each. On my aerobic runs on the treadmill, I just use a HRM and don't bother with a watch or splits except for the warmup mile, which I remember then enter it into my log. The rest of the run is whatever total time and distance the TM says I ran. Average pace for the run is easy to figure out. For MAF tests and intervals on the TM, I use a Garmin set to "indoors". When set to this, the watch doesn't measure distance.  Never a problem with accuracy in terms of splits (I use the treadmill for the distance data).

I do know that if your watch picks up a satellite indoors, and it can, then your arm swing will add distance to the run even though you're not running anywhere. So figure out how to set it to indoors when you're inside. That might help. On my old Garmin 305, I just hold the bottom left button down until a menu pops up with the choices for indoors or outdoors.

Now, it's possible that your watch is fine and your treadmill isn't running evenly. But I'm sure you'd notice if it was speeding up or slowing down when set to the same speed.

Hope this helped.

solarisrunner

Thanks for the reply.  My watch does have an indoor running mode which disables GPS when used. However, it uses the built-in accelerometer to guesstimate distance and of course speed. Which is the problem I am having.  Not an option to disable the accelerometer as well.

BeeRunB

Thanks for the reply.  My watch does have an indoor running mode which disables GPS when used. However, it uses the built-in accelerometer to guesstimate distance and of course speed. Which is the problem I am having.  Not an option to disable the accelerometer as well.

Strange there is no option on a Garmin watch to boop the time manually. There's no lap button?

For any run requiring collecting split info, like an MAF test, just work off the  clock on the TM, or some clock that shows the seconds. Just write down the time as the mile split occurs. You could still use the garmin for HR info and to keep yourself at a HR. Perhaps there is an app for a phone you could use, or on a laptop. Polar HR monitor straps aren't too expensive on Amazon and might be able to synch up with a phone app. Most TM's will pick up on a Polar.

There are also simple, inexpensive HR monitor watches that have a lap button that yo can operate manually that might be good for indoors.

BeeRunB

p.s. did a brief search for HRM phone apps for Garmin and Polar straps. There are some. It might be a solution for indoors for you. 

adamgreen21

I am a fairly new runner having started in early 2014 with some on and offs. In 2015 I ran my first half and finished with a slow time of 2:32.  After the race I didn't run too much until January of this year. Since January I have logged close to 800 miles and finished 4 half marathons. The first one being the same that I ran in 2015. This time I finished in 2:21. I ran another half marathon three weeks later and finished in 2:09. This was a downhill course with approximately 3000FT elevation drop. Fast forward to my last half I ran last week and finished with a time of 2:01.

Anyhow, I am really interested in MAF training as I want to eventually get my half times down to around 1:50 or even lower to help give me some confidence when I sign up for my first full.  I started a low heart rate training program in January called 80/20. A program introduced by Matt Fitzgerald. It incorporated mostly easy runs with two speed workouts per week. I don't know that I saw many results from this program. Sure I was a bit faster in May than I was in January though this and try this link could be contributed to the fact that I was running four days a week and had done so for the past four - five months.

In July of this year I started running at MAF which for me is 145bpm.  Because of the summer heat/humidity I took my runs indoors on the treadmill as I couldn't get my heart rate under 145 without a very slow snail walk.  I run with a Garmin Forerunner 230 which has a built-in accelerometer. However, I am having a big problem with accuracy and it is quite frustrating as I cannot gauge any progress.  My pace seems to be directly related to my arm swing. Either my arm swing is slow or the watch is off its rocker.  I generally warm up with the treadmill on 5.2mph which is about 11:30 min per mile.  At the end of the warm up I usually speed up closer to 11:00 min per mile.  However, like I mentioned my arm swing is directly related to what the watch sees. Sometimes when I am at 5.4 miles per minute the watch says I am going sub 11 and sometimes it says I am going nearly 12 or over.  So at the end of the run, lets say I ran 5 miles.  The watch shows for the mile splits:  10:57,  11:55,  11:47, 12:05, and 11:49.   All without my adjusting the pace on the treadmill.  And each run is different.

How on earth am I supposed to get an accurate reading so as to see if any progress is being made?

Gratitude for the answer. My watch has an indoor running mode which incapacitates GPS when utilized. Be that as it may, it utilizes the underlying accelerometer to approximate distance and obviously speed

annrickson

Interesting discussion

jimmywest

This topic is familiar to me, as I study in a medical college and study physiology. Not so long ago, I wrote a paper about the effect of physical exercises on the human body. I was helped by service https://www.nursingpaper.com/nursing-homework/ ,where professional writers found a lot of interesting information for me on this very topic, which helped to improve my academic performance and get good grades

ErnestineHas

Very interesting for me.

Nestor Hernandez

Thanks a lot for sharing this, I personally find this very impresive, The most I've run before is 3 kilometers back when I was in peak shape in 2019. I heard that someone from my favorite wallpaper store in phoenix az is an accomplished marathon runner having won over 6 of them!

lauryfriese

Touched by the story you shared. Candy Crush

jenniferdehner9

Thank you for this information.

netic24499

No reason provided
                            runnerclay

Consistently Slow

😀

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/