Low HR Training

Does running slow work your muscles more? (Read 501 times)

tracey_lee

Specifically, I started running using MAF about three weeks ago. So my pace is down between 10:30 - 10:00 depending on the terrain and hills. I have been running for a long time so my feet and legs are used to about 25-30 miles per week. But what I have noticed since running a lot slower, is that my legs and calves hurt more. It's not a joint pain at all...it's all muscles.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is  it all part of the base training and strengthening?

Thanks!

T

Not uncommon for beginners. When running MAF and below, you are using almost exclusively slow twitch muscle fibers.  A little bit of fast twitch will be engaged at MAF, but a very small percentage.  In essence, you are using a whole new set of muscles--not exactly--but in essence. Some will experience soreness from this. Of course, soreness can also come from going past the point you probably should be going. An extreme example is go out and run 26 miles at MAF---you will probably be sore the next day. Some runners can get soreness from a lot less than 26 miles. It's better to think in duration. You are probably spending more time on your feet running the slower paces. Combine that with the new focus on the slow twitch fibers, and there ya go. If the soreness continues, you might consider some heart time running to let your body decide how long you should be running.

--Jimmy

log   prs      Crusted Salt comic #142

tracey_lee

Thanks Jimmy. I usually stick to an hour...then an hour 45 on Saturdays. Just caught me off guard because I was doing the same mileage faster and going longer on Saturdays when I was running before at paces of 8:30 and the muscles were less stressed. But with MAF training my plantar faciitis is almost gone! it's a good tradeoff for sure. And I feel better health wise.

zonykel

If I haven't been running for a while, almost any running will make me sore. But I don't necessarily think running slow makes you sore. I recently ran a race, and I've been sore for a few days (quads & glutes). I can see where running slow could make you sore if a lot of hills are involved.

Specifically, I started running using MAF about three weeks ago. So my pace is down between 10:30 - 10:00 depending on the terrain and hills. I have been running for a long time so my feet and legs are used to about 25-30 miles per week. But what I have noticed since running a lot slower, is that my legs and calves hurt more. It's not a joint pain at all...it's all muscles.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is  it all part of the base training and strengthening?

Thanks!

T

I had that at the start of runs when I did MAF a long time ago but it would go away after 10mins or so, anyway I noticed that if sometimes I did some heel lifts for a few steps while still running, that helped. the sooner I did it after noticing that the calves started going sore the more it helped.

so I think it's to do with running form.

Shondek

Thanks Jimmy. I usually stick to an hour...then an hour 45 on Saturdays. Just caught me off guard because I was doing the same mileage faster and going longer on Saturdays when I was running before at paces of 8:30 and the muscles were less stressed. But with MAF training my plantar faciitis is almost gone! it's a good tradeoff for sure. And I feel better health wise.

How is your warm up T?

Dr Phil recommends splitting your duration into 3;1st 3rd warm up 2nd 3rd in range and last 3rd warm down..Have you tried rolling the soles of your feet on a frozen tin of beans(High carb) wearing a cold wet pair of socks of course

Leo