Low HR Training

Fasting and MAFfing (Read 400 times)

I know some with think this is kooky, but has anyone ever done "The Master Cleanse"? In short, it is a 10 day fast that consists of drinking only lemon, cayenne pepper, maple syrup and water for the 10 day (or more) period of time. I was thinking of doing it, but trying to think through the health factors involved, and thought I would check in to see if anyone has tried fasting while doing MAF. Thanks.
    GMoney

Yep. I did it on a goof in the summer of '07 while the wife and kids were out of town. Apart from motherf'er caffieine withdrawal headaches on days 1 and 2, I didn't experience any problems. The salt water flushes are disgusting, however, both to drink and in their prolonged after effects. Tight lipped While I was "cleansing," my energy levels were fine and I was able to do plenty of running (including some intense stretches on the AT), yard work (digging out stumps), and other vigorous outdoor activities with no problems. I lost a good bit of weight over the 10 days, but I certainly did NOT experience any other beneficial effects from it that I noticed. All in all, I found my "Master Cleanse" experience to be neither remarkable, spiritual, nor worth repeating. Have you fasted before? If not, give Van Aaken's suggestion of just a once a week one-day fast a shot first and work up from there. If you have and you're looking for something different, go ahead and give "Master Cleanse" a whirl. No matter what you do though, be certain to follow the directions for breaking the fast in all respects. All the bad experiences I heard about with "Master Cleanse" involved people who took shortcuts to breaking their fasts.
        Thanks for the response. Yes, I have fasted before in varying degrees. I have had trouble getting past day 3 on the Master Cleanse and have usually broken the fast at this point. I just get a little loopy and can't think clearly. Thanks for the input and your experience on the Master Cleanse.
        Rudolf

yes I have done fasting, juicefeasting and mastercleanse stuff many times, but at that stage I was not MAF I was simply running and the running was getting easier each day, faster (hm thinking about it I will repeat the stuff again and strictly monitoring HRM, kinda doing MAF or better say MAF-10 test each day and see how the pace improves. I also found much higher flexibility and the urge to practice yoga and could do positions I have done 20 years ago, but not since. Mentaly and emotionaly it was great, the clarity and focus, less need of sleep etc. Long term effect however depends what is eaten after cleanse not only on the first day but whole week etc. Personaly I do not like maple so I was using honey instead, the honey dismissal by MC guru is not true, it works with honey and in my view even better. If during summer I would not use the caeyenne. The SWF are great, I used to teach this in yoga courses decades ago under the name Shankprakshalana the SWF is in my view simplified lazy western version. Definitely no problem with running, If You used to fat burning regime should be easy. I also had great result with liver-gal bladder flush, but thats not directly running related.
            I have done the Master Cleanse. Once was enough. Wasn't MAFfing then. I have also done water fasts and juice fasts. Eventually I came across a valuable resource for my fasting experiences. It is Joel Fuhrman's book, Fasting and Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease. He basically promotes physician supervised water fasts. The book has good information on the physiology of fasting and guidelines for safe fasting. The next Lenten season I will probably do another water fast. I may experiment with MAFfing then.
            GMoney

Eventually I came across a valuable resource for my fasting experiences. It is Joel Fuhrman's book, Fasting and Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease.
              I can also vouch for Dr. Fuhrman's book - though it's tilted more toward therapeutic fasting to help cure specific conditions rather than as a generalized "detoxificaition" program. Mark's take is right on point, and I think Fuhrman's book is a far superior resource to Burroughs'.
              RER

I can recommend one thing: avoid fasting.
                  I can recommend one this: avoid fasting.
                  'cause?
                  RER

'cause?
                    I think it's unhealthy for most people.
                      I can recommend one thing: avoid fasting.
                      Hi David, What's your view on Intermittent Fasting? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting ) I am currently experimenting with a schedule where I have my normal breakfast and a larger than normal lunch. Late in the afternoon I have a snack of raw almonds and 1/2 to 1 ounce of 100% cacao (unsweetened chocolate) to get some fat into the system. Then right after work I go to the gym for a one hour MAF session on the treadmill. And then only consume water until breakfast next am. I don't do this everyday, usually just three times a week when I go to the gym. On the nights that I do eat dinner, I try to finish as early as possible and then only drink water until breakfast next am.