Low HR Training

Can I actually do this? New member question (Read 330 times)

C-R

Hi - new member here and quite intruiged by the LHR training method. I just received a new HRM for my birthday and am trying to figure out how to best use it to help my running. I'm reading Maffetone and I am comfortable with the suggested MAF for me (138). I'm returning from a severe injury from last year in a marathon and am still building my fitness (almost up to my goal of 30-40 mpw - injury free). So prior to reading this thread on LHR, I did this the old fashioned way of building miles slowly and trying not to overdo anything. So far so good. Another aspect of this is to sign-up for a race and keep the date as a motivator. Well my race is the Indy Mini on May 3rd. So here is the question - the 12 weeks of base and no race is too tight for my current timeline. Should I wait to start a LHR program until after? Will any LHR be benificial to me for this period? I plan to run a marathon later in the year and possibly another half or two which seems LHR will help. Would love to hear your thoughts? Thanks. BTW - I'm one of these types that has a 5k and 10k pace that does not correlate to half or marathon times so I think I might be looking in the right place for improvement.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

run-easy-race-hard

I'll give you the simple answer: if this race means a whole lot to you and you absolutely don't want to waste this opportunity, then you could be setting yourself up for disappointment and this would not be the approach to use. If you look at the race as a way to set a baseline and not as a major occasion in and of itself, then go for it - try a MAF approach, see how you do with MAF alone, and make your adjustments for the next one.
      C-R

Jesse, Thanks. Seems logical. I'm not hung up on "racing" the mini and I'm more interested in races later in the year. With that being said, I looked at my current training regime and I may be in luck. In an effort to return slowly and not push too hard and get injured, many of my current runs have a HR near my MAF (between 5 and 10 BPM above). I believe I can reduce my HR load without feeling like I am coming to a complete crawl and still stay at the proper HR levels to remain aerobic. Looks like I will give it a shot and will simply have to remind myself to stay below my MAF for my runs for the next 12 weeks. Appreciate your candor on this one. BTW - I'm also an aero but work another technical, but unrelated, area - energy. That gave you some quick street cred with me. Big grin I will lurk and post here to see if I can keep learning.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

run-easy-race-hard

Jesse, Thanks. Seems logical. I'm not hung up on "racing" the mini and I'm more interested in races later in the year. With that being said, I looked at my current training regime and I may be in luck. In an effort to return slowly and not push too hard and get injured, many of my current runs have a HR near my MAF (between 5 and 10 BPM above). I believe I can reduce my HR load without feeling like I am coming to a complete crawl and still stay at the proper HR levels to remain aerobic. Looks like I will give it a shot and will simply have to remind myself to stay below my MAF for my runs for the next 12 weeks. Appreciate your candor on this one. BTW - I'm also an aero but work another technical, but unrelated, area - energy. That gave you some quick street cred with me. Big grin I will lurk and post here to see if I can keep learning.
          Sounds good, and a fellow aero (even if just by training) is always welcome! It appears that it may not make much difference anyway, so you may see improvement just by being a touch more rested before your race.