Low HR Training

Losing the Blubber...cooling the core... (Read 2314 times)

BeeRunB

Date 4/21/2010 6/30/2011 7/22/11 7/29/11 8/5/11
    lbs. 184 174 164 164 166
    waist 42" 38.75" 36.88" 36.50" 36.38"
    %bodyfat 31.0% 25.7% 22.6% 22.0% 21.8%
    fat lbs. 57 45 37 36 36
    lean lbs. 127

calculator

Putting some of the "lean" back on that I lost during that quick weight loss. What exactly the "lean" is comprised of (besides muscle) would be speculation, but water, glycogen, and peace of mind (.1 pound per "tranquilijule" regained) wouldn't be far off the mark. Waist and body fat are heading in the right direction. I sit here looking at my Richard Simmons poster,  playing solitaire with my "Deal-A-Meal" cards, and peruse FruitOfTheLoom.com dreaming of the day when I go out and buy my first pair of  briefs with a 34" waist. A mockingbird sings in the tree and sounds remarkably like Jack Lalanne singing his top-40 song "Tow, Tow, Tow 65 Wood-Pulp Filled Boats Gently While Swimming Handcuffed Shackled In Lake Ashinoko." (reached #33 on the Billboard Fitness Charts).

--Jimmy

BeeRunB

date lbs. waist %BodyFat

Fat

lbs.

lean

lbs.

4/21/10  184  42.00"  31.0%  57  127
       6/21/10  176  38.88"  25.8%  45  131
       7/5/10  173  38.50"  25.3%  44  130
       7/21/10  166  37.50"  23.7%  39  127
      8/3/10   162  36.25  21.6%  35  127
       12/21/10  174  39.00"  26.1%  45  129
      4/21/11 181 41.00" 29.2% 53 128
      5/23/11 177 39.75" 27.3% 48 129
       6/30/11  174  38.75"  25.7%  45  129
       7/22/11  164  36.88"  22.6%  37  127
       7/29/11  164  36.50"  22.0%  36  128
      8/5/11 166 36.38" 21.8% 36 130
      8/11/11 165 36.00" 21.1% 35 130

calculator

The least amount of blubber on the waist and lowest

bodyfat since I started my ride on the Yo-Yo in 2010.

There was a time back in the 90's when I weighed

230. Can't imagine carrying that 65 pounds around.

Maintaining lean pounds, which is good. Cool

bertrand

The least amount of blubber on the waist and lowest

bodyfat since I started my ride on the Yo-Yo in 2010.

There was a time back in the 90's when I weighed

230. Can't imagine carrying that 65 pounds around.

Maintaining lean pounds, which is good. Cool

Wohoo awesome. The most i reached was 235 lbs and this time is not so long ago.  i was at 208.7 this morning. I really wish i can reach one day the weight loss you had.  Congrats.

Bertrand

PR: 5k  31'15'' (220 lbs)

BeeRunB

Wohoo awesome. The most i reached was 235 lbs and this time is not so long ago.  i was at 208.7 this morning. I really wish i can reach one day the weight loss you had.  Congrats.

Thanks, Bertrand.

My initial weight loss back in the late 90's was about 40 pounds. I then eventually  got another 15 off with fast walking. I had reached my limit of speed with walking (maybe if I would have gotten into race walking, I could have gotten faster with that technique, ever see how fast those Olympic walkers are? Faster than I can run), and ended up starting to run in 2003. I've hovered in the 170's with a few spikes into the the low 180's, but have managed not to put all that 65 back on.

They say not to weigh yourself everyday, but I do. I just don't freak if I weigh 3 extra pounds one day because I ate some rice noodles that sucked up two pounds of water. When I don't weigh myself everyday, I tend to go off course, and sweep it under the rug. Especially in winter when I crave the muffins and things of that sort.  I hope to make it through the winter this year without resorting to a diet of sugary treats.

What I discovered this summer was frozen fruit. I'll pick up bags of frozen blueberries, cherries, mango, etc., and I'll have a small bowl for a snack. Quite refreshing. Like popsicles without all the extra junk. Along with normal fruit, it's the only sweet thing I eat these days.

Keep going! You can do it!

wbr

Hey Jimmy,

You can throw the frozen fruit into a blender with some bananas, ground flax seed, and almond milk and make a healthy smoothie. Make a big batch, divide it into small, freezable containers, and put them in the freezer. Then whenever you get a craving for something sweet, it's ready for you.

Bob

bertrand

They say not to weigh yourself everyday, but I do. I just don't freak if I weigh 3 extra pounds one day because I ate some rice noodles that sucked up two pounds of water. When I don't weigh myself everyday, I tend to go off course, and sweep it under the rug. Especially in winter when I crave the muffins and things of that sort.  I hope to make it through the winter this year without resorting to a diet of sugary treats.

What I discovered this summer was frozen fruit. I'll pick up bags of frozen blueberries, cherries, mango, etc., and I'll have a small bowl for a snack. Quite refreshing. Like popsicles without all the extra junk. Along with normal fruit, it's the only sweet thing I eat these days.

Keep going! You can do it!

Ahah i can't help it too and weigh myself everyday. It just became a habit but like you it helped not to pay too much attention and get scared if you had a bigger meal one day or so. 

As for smoothies i love them too i never try with flax seed but i will definitely give it a try. I tend to do those as snack when my son is back from school.

Bertrand

wbr

Be sure and grind up the flax seeds (I use a coffee grinder) or they will pass right thru undigested. You can sprinkle them in salads, oatmeal, or soups and they don't really affect the taste. They are very good for you.

Dimat

Any of you guys consider strength training? Something like Starting Strength? You all ready have the cardio down which is the hard part. Learn to do compound movements Correctly and build up some strength so your lifting heavy and it's all cake. Remember if your not going below parallel your not squatting.

Seriously the program I listed above is somthing I always use when I come off a lay off to get my weights back up quickly but like I said learning to do the movements correctly is key.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Seriously the program I listed above is somthing I always use when I come off a lay off to get my weights back up quickly but like I said learning to do the movements correctly is key.

Where is it?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

BeeRunB

My strength training consists of yoga, heavy yardwork, and some things that fit in the category of resistance training ("get your hand off my muffins, girl'). I never think of, or call, running cardio. My private name for it, which will now no longer be private, is "fleeing."

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

My strength training consists of yoga, heavy yardwork, and some things that fit in the category of resistance training ("get your hand off my muffins, girl'). I never think of, or call, running cardio. My private name for it, which will now no longer be private, is "fleeing."

The yoga and yard work  are not in  my scheme of things. Fleeing I get.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Dimat

Starting Strength is a book written by Mark Ripptoe. In it he mentions one of his programs that he uses to take a beginner to an intermediate lvl as fast as possible. The book itself describes how to do the exercises correctly. It's a progression that has you adding weight everytime your lift.

Now most people who do this are not dieting. It's recommended that you indeed eat alot. You want to get strong as possible. Intermediate as he defines it being as, this isn't an exact as I can't remember it and have the book put up, basically when you are unable to make a day to day progression if your older squats may only improves twice a week as you start getting to heavy weight.

The lifts consist of Squats, deadlift, bench, military press, power cleans. It's in a A B format

A. Squat      B. Squat

Bench          Press

Deadlift        powerclean

3 sets of 5 with any where from 2 - 5 minute break between sets (remember your building strength not size)

You do this three times a week.

You add weight each day you lift. I recommend especially if your just learning the lifts Correctly that for the squat just start with the bar the start with 10 pounds then when it starts getting heavy 5 pounds. This will get you anywhere from 30 pnds then 15 pounds a week. It adds up fast.

Deadlift, just start with 45's then add 20 pounds moving down as it starts getting heavy.

Bench and military press I recommend starting light also again the weight adds up pretty quickly

Powercleans like the squats are pretty difficult to learn so start with the bar.

You can find this program all over the web. They will sometimes substitute power cleans for Pendlay rows. This isn't what is recommended by Rippetoe and he will tell you if you are doing something else your not doing the program. I've done both. I recommend just learning how to do powercleans, like all the other lifts it works your whole body and does wonderful things for your back and delts..

Sometimes you stall and think you've hit your limit. Most of the time you aren't eating enough. Somtimes it's just mental. For example when I hit 230 squatting. I got under the bar, unwracked it and said, Oh Crap I can't do this." Made a half-hearted attempt (3/4 squats people do thinking they do correctly) and wracked the bar again. I actually did this two separate days before deciding no matter how heavy it felt I was going to do it. I did it with no problem. Mental....

I mentioned eating..... You will put on some extra pounds, being older you don't want to go overboard. When it was time to take it off I switched to another somthing else as I was able to lift as much as I could on the program and started swimming.

Now I hate running. It's hard, really hard! So I swam. I don't actually swim that well as I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum but it was alot easier than running. Except the breathing part. Running you can take a breath whenever you want, swimming you need to wait until the next stroke as your face in down in the water the rest of the time. Nothing like sucking down water, choking while your in the middle of a 15m pool thats 10 feet deep.... Anyways to continue I shed the weight easily. I admit I cut some calories and still kept the exercises listed above in my new program and continued to them heavy. (I worked to hard to get them that high to lose the benefit of that effort which was impressing all the other guys in the gym with the weight I could move. Women don't care, they just care what you look like.)

Anyways I've bounced around alot of programs and this is one of the best I've found.

1. it's easy

2. You improve every time you go to the gym

3. You get results

Like I said you guys that are able to run these long distances have it made. You already have the hard part down. Now you just have to learn to do these lifts correctly, start adding weight to the bar and watch the results. You will gain size as it's a by product of getting strong but it's not a bodybuilding program.

Here is a thread I just found about the program

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&page=1

forum by Mark Rippetoe

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum.php

Excell program where you can plug your starting numbers in and it will tell you what you need to do for warmups and what you need to do each day.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3382978/Starting-Strength-Logbook-Calculator

bertrand

Dimat i will probably start strength exercises after my marathon. Right now i went from beeing non runner completely out of shape to beeing able to run half marathon without much trouble. I want to keep improving MAF till chicago marathon. I am not sure aerobic training is compatible with strength training btw so i will keep working on aerobic first.  One thing i had in mind was to be able to do 100 push up in a row. a few month ago i could do 15 good form (before that i could even do less) I dont train those anymore but i suspect that with the weight loss i might be able to do the same amount at least. I would also like to be able to do 10 pull ups good form and i could only do 1 with a lot of trouble. Those are 2 goals i have in mind and i would like to accomplish.

As for running i decided i will try to get better 5k and 10k time after the marathon and i think the strength training would fit well with that training schedule.

I really would like to build more muscles but i want to lose that tremendous amount of fat even more.

Bertrand

Dimat

Sure aerobic training is compatible with strength training, vice-versa I'm not so sure.. TBH I'm not sure if aerobic training would be contra-indicated for anything in the long run.  In moderation of course, if you want to lift big weights you don't want to burn alot of the fuel that you could be using to get stronger nor push yourself into over training.

Most guys do HIT to lose weight because the results are faster and lets face it it's easier to do 20 minutes of that instead 40 minute runs. The only reason I want to do aerobic training is for general health. This Lh stuff is making running a bit easier (I'm still running so it must be) But if you guys already have the base and are doing the long runs then once you start lifting heavy it should be so easy for you to lose weight.

On the other hand the amount of running you do will impede strength gain. This probably isn't an issue since your main focus is running. Although I'm looking at a post from jimmyb with a lean mass of 130 and a weight of 166.  In my eyes he would look alot better with a lean mass 180 than he would if he shed that weight and was say 150. Different focus. Although you have to wonder if he is already running at that weight and he turned it into muscle instead of trying to lost weight if his running would be better overall.