Low HR Training

MAF-test question (Read 423 times)

I did my second MAF test today. I find my results a bit confusing. Am I doing something wrong here?

I did the test at our local track. It's 4km from my house, so I use the 15 min bike ride as part of the warm up. The first time I went there for my first test I actually got lost and spent some 20 minutes getting there. That's why I only jogged one warm up lap for the first test. For the second test it took me 14 minutes on the bike, so I did four laps of warm up, or 13 minutes. So I'd think my dodgy results can't be from too little warm up.

My HRM doesn't have a lap function to record intervals, wich is really annoying by the way. That means I have to stop for 2-3 seconds at the finish/start line to stop my exercise and start a new one. Click - click, click - click. And then continue. Could this affect my results?

1st MAF-test 8.7.2011

Temp: 27 C

Warm up: 20 min bike ride + 3 min jog

1. 12:56

2. 13:08

3. 12:55

4. 13:04

5. 13:10

6. 13:19

2nd MAF-test 30.7.2011

Temp: 20 C

Warm up: 14 min bike ride + 13 min jog

1. 11:35

2. 11:53

3. 11:59

4. 12:13

5. 12:05

I've noticed that when I burp, and for some reason I do at every second lap or so, my heart rate temprarily drops (with up to ten bpm, climbing back up in 10-15 sec). I try not to let this affect my pace - but I guess it might though. But could burping while testing really mess up the numbers like this? Any ideas?

Running Blog: On my two feet

BeeRunB

What's wrong with your numbers?

They look fine to me.

The 5th mile is a little faster than the fourth in the second test, but that can happen outdoors.

You've progressed some, and the second test was in cooler weather.

It was faster than the first test.

Looks fine.

Burping won't affect your test. Profuse farting will cause you to be up to 1 second faster for a five mile test due to the gains from the minute propulsion from each little (or big) explosive event (the energy adds up).

--Jimmy

bertrand

Burping won't affect your test. Profuse farting will cause you to be up to 1 second faster for a five mile test due to the gains from the minute propulsion from each little (or big) explosive event (the energy adds up).

--Jimmy

Big grin

Bertrand

PR: 5k  31'15'' (220 lbs)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

They look fine to me.

The 5th mile is a little faster than the fourth in the second test, but that can happen outdoors.

You've progressed some, and the second test was in cooler weather.

It was faster than the first test.

Looks fine.

--Jimmy

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Tennesotans

--Jimmy

We need to put that in the LHR toot-torial....

(I promise to grow up one day)

They look fine to me.

I taught they would line up nicely from faster to slower. Instead in the first test the thrid mile was the fastest, and in the second test the fifth mile was faster than the fourth.

I understand from your responses this is quite normal, and nothing to get hung up about.

If farting can make you go faster, exessive burping could slow you down - the propolusion being directed in the opposite direction. Big grin

Running Blog: On my two feet

BeeRunB

If farting can make you go faster, exessive burping could slow you down - the propolusion being directed in the opposite direction. Big grin

True, but burping has more variables. Such as:

--the head swivels, thus you can burp to the right, left , down, or up. If left or right and there is a cross wind, and you are taking  a corner where the turn is with the crosswind, and you burp against the crosswind, you can make the turn faster.

--you can burp with your mouth closed (not possible with the release valve of the aforementioned cause of forward propulsion)

--you can form inspirational words using the air from the pharyngeal release, like "strength", "grace" and "fit." It is a well known anecdotal fact that well-timed inspirational words can give a runner bursts of speed they didn't know they had. This practice of burp affirmations can actually take the loss of speed due to a full frontal burp and turn a blah race into a PR (affirmations are not possible with the release valve of the aforementioned cause of forward propulsion, although there is sect of repatriated, disenfranchised Americans who formed a small commune in the Himalayas in northern India, who created and practice a spiritual discipline called Sphincter Yoga, who have learned to say the word "fartyboo" with the aforementioned release valve as a way to make group "peristalsis meditation" a little more fun).

--JCool