Low HR Training

Minimalist-ish shoes for long slow runs (Read 1097 times)

Bob/Anyone:

Do you wear socks with your Saucony Hattoris?  If so, what kind.  I assume thin, but what materail?

What socks are best for the natural style running?

Chris

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Bob/Anyone:

Do you wear socks with your Saucony Hattoris?  If so, what kind.  I assume thin, but what materail?

Not so far. At the outlet store they gave me a very thin sock to use when trying them on. I have some thin summer weight running socks that I could use without feeling to tight. But it hasn't been cold enough to warrant using them.

Not sure yet about choice of socks. Have only run in heavy winter weight New Balance socks I've had for a few years - probably bought at TJ Maxx or equally discounted place. I would think one would want to use a weight appropriate to the season and that, once landing light enough, brand differences shouldn't matter. Not sure about toe socks, e.g. Injini's (sp?) never had them and not sure I would try them until I can get more than 50 mi in a regular pair of socks. To expensive to hole them more quickly than that I would think.

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

kfmfe04

Kind of in-between barefoot and minimalist shoes, but I just ordered a pair of huaraches from unshoes a couple days ago - specifically, the Pah Tempe.  If they are like what I expect, they should work great for me (I don't wear shoes normally: just Tevos).  I tried BF running a while back and loved it, but I need some protection against super-hot pavement.

According to the owner, unshoes were initially meant for trail runners/hikers, but it turned out that most of his customers are road runners.

The rubber is vibram (same as the vibram five fingers) and the Newflex 10mm is almost as light and flexible as the older 4mm and 6mm soles.  There is, supposedly, a slight loss of surface feel vs 4mm/6mm, but you get more cushioning.  I think the weight comes out to around 5 oz, and since the tops are open, you get cooling from above and they won't smell like VFFs - or, at least if they do, they are an easy rinse with cold water.

Also, the owner, Terral Fox, is very responsive.  I had trouble with PayPal shipping overseas and he resolved the issue with 3 hours of my e-mail.  The only thing is, the current turn-around time is around 4 weeks.

Here are some reviews of the Pah Tempe:  part 1 and part 2.

- Ken

Age:42, MAF:138, 168cm/5'6", 62.2kg/137lb (from 73kg/161lb), BF: 14.9%

Goals:  MAF10k@56:50, 59kg/130lb (32 days to go)

Stage: Trying to get back to MAF Base Building after muscle strain injury

My Training Log

Bob/Anyone:

I don't wear socks with the Hattoris. Not sure if my Hattories are a half size small, or if they are supposed to fir pretty tight, but I wouldn't really be able to get them on over a pair of socks comfortably.