Low HR Training

So now that I understand HR during racing better, will you help me understand GU and similar during marathons? (Read 705 times)

run-easy-race-hard

hmmmm...I can't tell if I'm enlightened or more confused. Big grin I don't take any calories at all in a long run until nearing the 2 hour point typically. Then, I tend to take a packet of something every 30-45 minutes. On my over MAF report on sunday, I reported gastrointestinal distress with shot blok and sports bean use. After ducking behind some bushes, I did take another GU roctane about 15 minutes later, and it worked very well even pepping up my legs a bit. Now, I'm not sure if I'm dependent on them or not. I have two more 20's left. I'll have to play around during them.
    It really doesn't matter so much if you're dependent on them. You're still developing your fat-burning system and you're putting in the last several miles over MAF (and maybe even more than that) so you're probably still getting much benefit from them. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a personal decision as to whether you want to wean yourself off of reliance on calories to get through training runs or races. It's helpful if you show up at a race where the sports drink is ultima and hence you don't have access to the carbs you had hoped for.

run-easy-race-hard

From a dietary standpoint, would you recommend Maffetone? I need some major transition/correction with my diet, b/c I am carb dependent, I believe, and i realize this is contrary to the Maff method, esp., as you point out, one of the goals is to become an "efficient fat burner". Do you have a general carb/fat/protein ratio you follow? Thanks.
      Aside from what I recommend about no carbs within the short time before a race, you don't want my advice on nutrition. I just eat whatever I want for the most part, generally avoiding trans fats and only eating things high in saturated fat that are really good.

run-easy-race-hard

In light of formationfliers post, maybe ignore my "carb loading" madness. Black eye Big grin
        No, there's nothing wrong with what you said. The only piece I would avoid is the carbs just before the race. I don't carb-load and I don't think it's necessary if you've trained yourself to burn fat efficiently, but it's a standard approach to preparing for a race and I doubt you'll see negative effects from it even if you do burn fat efficiently.
        Shiksa

Yeah, I think at this point in my training/running life, I will rely on them towards the end of my long runs/races. One thing I haven't ever mentioned here is that I am a nursing mother. I think that is an odd aside for a mixed forum like this one, but it does affect my health (not adversely) and overall calorie intake. Getting adequate calories is not as straightforward on any given day. Blush

Stacy
          I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

run-easy-race-hard

Yeah, I think at this point in my training/running life, I will rely on them towards the end of my long runs/races. One thing I haven't ever mentioned here is that I am a nursing mother. I think that is an odd aside for a mixed forum like this one, but it does affect my health (not adversely) and overall calorie intake. Getting adequate calories is not as straightforward on any given day. Blush
            No doubt, I would certainly agree with that - many more factors at play!
              Along the lines of a few of the posts here, one thing you should avoid, whether in training or racing, is taking in the carbs in the short time prior to the race. This will put your body into carb-burning mode right away and that's not what you want. If you've been doing MAF training for a while, you will be an efficient fat burner, even up at the higher heart rates. I will conjecture that disciplined MAF training really works to skew the RQ vs HR curve so that you're burning higher and higher percentages of fat (compared to before MAF training) even at HRs right up close to the anaerobic threshold. At least this is the only explanation I have as to why I can run full marathons just below AT without taking in any calories and without hitting the wall, whereas just a few years ago, I couldn't finish a 20 mile training run without gels and sports drink.
              Questions/caveats. 1. I think eating 90 minutes - 2 hours before running allows your body time to get past the rush. If I have time, I'll eat a bagel a couple hours before a long run or marathon 2. I'm not sure that eating after about 45 minutes causes any negative reaction in fat-burning. By then your body's made the shift. (Having said that, I still follow Jesse's advice and generally don't eat during runs except 3. On a recent 20-mile training run I used a couple GUs. I didn't feel any different during the run, but I feel like I recovered quicker. Cld be purely mental, but that's my experience. 4. I think not drinking water before and during a run is a fool's errand. In marathons, I drink a lot but stop an hour before the start, then I'll start again after about 15 minutes. I find it helps avoid stops during the race, although there are some manic moments waiting in that long freaking potty line before the race starts and hoping I get in and out before the gun goes off.

run-easy-race-hard

save - I agree with all. In races I wait until 40 or 45 minutes in before I take in anything with calories. And, no doubt, hydration is always necessary!