Low HR Training

Long Distance or More Races (Read 294 times)

I'm running a marathon in about 8 weeks. I just ran a 20k this past weekend and intended on running one more race before the full one in late October. I was going to run a half marathon, but I found a 30k that I could run in 3 weeks. All my training runs have been below maff except when I have been racing (usually 2 or 3 a month). And my body feels awesome. So the question is, do I run the 30k and another half or just one race? My body has been recovering pretty good from the races that I have been running. If I run the half, it gives me 3 weeks before the full. I feel I have been getting more out of the races then the long runs (I've run 3 20 mile runs so far). Any ideas?

run-easy-race-hard

I always feel that 20 milers are the most productive preparations for the marathon. However, 30k is probably close enough anyway. 3 20s is somewhat light, so I would push for more 20s. But that's just me.
      BeeRunB

I'm running a marathon in about 8 weeks. I just ran a 20k this past weekend and intended on running one more race before the full one in late October. I was going to run a half marathon, but I found a 30k that I could run in 3 weeks. All my training runs have been below maff except when I have been racing (usually 2 or 3 a month). And my body feels awesome. So the question is, do I run the 30k and another half or just one race? My body has been recovering pretty good from the races that I have been running. If I run the half, it gives me 3 weeks before the full. I feel I have been getting more out of the races then the long runs (I've run 3 20 mile runs so far). Any ideas?
        Go with what you really want to do (racing). You'll find out if works well for you as training for the marathon, or not. Just be careful about following up a hard-raced half-marathon or longer race with a heavy week with a 20-miler. Recover. I wish you the best in your marathon. --Jimmy
          I always feel that 20 milers are the most productive preparations for the marathon. However, 30k is probably close enough anyway. 3 20s is somewhat light, so I would push for more 20s. But that's just me.
          I had planned on doing 3 more 20 mile runs which puts me at a total of 6. Would that be enough? I am excited for the 30k because I feel I could get a better idea as to what pace I could run. For the halfs I have been running between 7:20 and 7:30 pace. The last one I ran at 7:20 and felt I had a lot left at the end. Thanks for the input guys

run-easy-race-hard

sounds sufficient and reasonable to me