Low HR Training

ARTICLE: Taking No Carbs Before Or During Training Boosts Endurance (Read 757 times)

I need to do some more reading on a TKD, but I think that is correct.

A site by Lyle McDonald for you to check out.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2013 Goals:

5k = sub 21:00

HM = sub 100 minutes

Run = 3650 / 2 miles

Bike = 3500 miles

Swim = 150 miles

Race 1st HIM

Honestly, if your MAFfing, you should have plenty of energy with a low carb diet. As long as I stay easy as in LHR work, I'm not fatigued at all.

I was talking about hard intervals, not MAF...it is pretty obvious that with MAF work it doesn't matter. I'll be definitely curious to see your experiences as to whether this 60g carb intake will work for you for hard runs too.

I was commenting more on Jimmys posts, not yours, when Jimmy wrote "Seems everytime I've tried to eat a lower % carb diet (e.g. going from 60-20-20 to 45-30-25), my speed at the same HR tanks." My macros are something like this 65-30-5 (f,p,c) to 60-30-10. I use these macros when its base time and I'm trying to drop weight. When its race prep time, you can't drop weight and train hard anyway, at least I can't.

From Joel Friel (Triathletes Bible) "The body uses for fuel whatever it is given the most of. If you eat a diet high in carbohydrate, which at some times in the year is necessary (more on that at another time), it will prefer to use sugar for fuel. If you feed it more fat while reducing carbohydrate it will learn to use fat for fuel. That’s a good thing since it augments your aerobic endurance training". Again, it works out great during base building, but not so good for hard high intensity workouts. That is the time is refers to when he says a high carb diet is sometimes necessary.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2013 Goals:

5k = sub 21:00

HM = sub 100 minutes

Run = 3650 / 2 miles

Bike = 3500 miles

Swim = 150 miles

Race 1st HIM

that's OK Smile, I was replying mainly to this:

"

With my upcoming intensive training I will be switching to a TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Diet) where I will consume 50-60 grams of high GI carbs about an hour before a workout to help with my glycogen stores for the increased intensity work. I also take about 30-50 grams of protein within 0.5 hours of the workout to aid the recovery process.

I've never really trained hard on a low carb diet before, so we'll see how it goes with the TKD diet.

"