Low HR Training

Core Training Anyone? (Read 428 times)

tracey_lee

Do any of you put in any core training? I have always felt this to be very important to any running but I was wondering what your take is on it while base building?

Thanks!

T

BeeRunB

Absolutely. I do yoga, yardwork, and very light weights (never to exhaustion)---just 2 times a week.

If I don't do yoga, eventually I will start to have muscle imbalances between the back and hamstrings

and will end up with pain. The workout I do doesn't affect my base-building---again, just

follow your MAF tests. If you are developing areaobically while doing anything deemed

anaerobic, then you are probably okay. You can't avoid some anaerobic stuff anyway.

I have to do yardwork, and I have to lift bags, shovel, sweep, etc. I overdid it once with

yardwork when I first moved into this place and it did affect my running. I keep it in

balance now.

Mark Allen started doing strength training at some point as he got older. During the base period.

--Jimmy

Shondek

I think the jury is still out as to the benefits of core training,if any.So I decided to do yoga about 8 months ago and I can highly recommend it.I do it every morning after my run (5am).The best time to do yoga is between 4am and 6am.The book I use is Light on Yoga and the bloke starts you from absolute beginner to wherever you want to end up.If you follow it every day you should complete the course in roughly 6.5 years I have to repeat some weeks so I'm giving myself 8 years.Cool

The main benefits I found were increase in strength,no need to yell eeeyaaahhh!!! when I pick something off the floor,lower back pain gone,more flexibility in hamstrings but a long way to go and a generally more healthy attitude to life.Probably a similar to LHR running.

One last thing which is weird I no longer have to use deodorants as I no longer have BO,which my wife will testify.So it seems Yoga cleanses you from the inside out .Money saved there pays for the book and running shoes.

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Yoga-B-K-Iyengar/dp/0007107005/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320580153&sr=8-2

BeeRunB

The best time to do yoga is between 4am and 6am.

Why?

Shondek

Why?

Ehhhh!! ??Something to do with the mind being more alert  and on an empty stomach in a peaceful environment  which for someone like me starting out with mainly the standing Asanas ,I feel this time is best;certainly helps the rest of the day.

I have no trouble sleeping at night so I guess someone with a stressful work place(not me I'm self employedSmile)late at night would be another good time,I dont see late at night......Unless I'm clubbing of course!!

I think in yoga the mind takes precedence,whereas some runners tend to give it to the body.

BeeRunB

Ehhhh!! ??Something to do with the mind being more alert  and on an empty stomach in a peaceful environment  which for someone like me starting out with mainly the standing Asanas ,I feel this time is best;certainly helps the rest of the day.

I have no trouble sleeping at night so I guess someone with a stressful work place(not me I'm self employedSmile)late at night would be another good time,I dont see late at night......Unless I'm clubbing of course!!

I think in yoga the mind takes precedence,whereas some runners tend to give it to the body.

I do yoga right after a run. I'm all warmed up, muscles are loose, and  my stomach is empty.