Low HR Training

OT: Torn Meniscus Anyone?? (Read 615 times)

Great news, CfKid! ITBS is a tough one, so be careful. I had a bout once myself. It ultimately cleared up when I pulled a hamstring and couldn't run for a month Smile This was when I first started running. I also developed peroneal tendonitis about 3 months after that. In retrospect, I believe both injuries were caused by wearing "stability" shoes. Another running store watched my gait on a treadmill and said I was neutral and didn't need stability shoes. I haven't had either problem since. Something to consider. Good luck on your recovery.
    Greg- your experiences sound very familiar. My wife's (former) doc had her use inserts to help with the ITBS, and this caused a stress fracture! By the time the stress fracture healed, the ITBS was gone. It was probably the time off from the stress fracture that helped also heal the ITBS I use both motion-control and stability shoes in a rotation. I need a narrow-sized shoe. Last spring (2007), I bought a comparable motion-control shoe to the one I normally use (but not narrow), and developed ITBS. Once I stopped wearing the non-narrow shoes, the ITBS slowly faded away. I blamed it on LHR training at the time since I had justed started that, but it turned out it was the shoes.
    C-R

Good news Cf. I had this about 10 years past and what worked for me was crosover stretches bending from the waist (same stuff they used to make us do at soccer practice), same stretch leaning sideways into a wall/support, and gentle massage. I did this and took off a few weeks and have not had the issue return. If I recall this is a classic overuse injury and mine came after my first marathon where I tried to resume training too soon. I have since built miles very slowly. Glad it wasn't a tear.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Master of Inconsistency

Just wanted to wish you luck with your rehab Mark Take care, Greg

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

I'm going to go for a short, flat, Sub MAF run tomorrow morning. Doc said to take it easy, not to stop. Don't worry, I'll take it easy. Thanks for all the advice and wishes everyone!

run-easy-race-hard

Best of luck - you'll get through this smoothly I'm sure. Just don't do anything that makes pain worse. Mix in some elliptical while you are rebuilding.
              Best of luck - you'll get through this smoothly I'm sure. Just don't do anything that makes pain worse. Mix in some elliptical while you are rebuilding.
              Good thought Jesse, thanks! I did survive this morning. Just made sure to stretch before and after. I felt twinges a few times, but no actual pain.