Low HR Training

Training plan? (Read 223 times)

Runningraja

So I'm running 2 marathons, one on June 22 and one on Oct 13. Im doing pure Maf running right now, and trying to figure out what I should do for my marathon ramp ups. As I see it I have three options for my first one, then depending on how that goes, I'll do the same or change for the second. 1. Just keep ramping milage up at Maf pace until taper and throw done speed work on then. 2. Do pure Maf till week marathon -18 and then do pfitz 18-55 3. Do pure Maf till week marathon -12 and them do pfitz 12-55 The milage will all be the same, but what are your guys thoughts on plans?

I just read some stuff on the Hanson plans.  They seem pretty interesting to me.

I'll be running my first marathon on May 5, 2013.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:48:09; HM 1:43:26; 10K 44:51; 5K 21:27

I found greatest success with a 12-16 week base period where I got my miles (all MAF) up to 70-100 mpw, then after  added in some long MRP runs (ala Pfitzinger) and a few lactate threshold tempos (ala Pfitzinger), and a few tune-up races. These uptempo WO's about 8-10 weeks out from the big race. Most importantly, doing a proper 3 week taper of mostly MAF with just a few miles at MRP. Getting to the race rested is very important.

The key is to improve your aerobic speed. Once you get your volume up it improves fast. The MRP and LT tempos aren't killers, like intervals can be for some people.

Other strategies by others here have been to do a high volume base period at MAF, and just get to racing with all MAF in between. The races being all the speedwork they do. Not bothering with a taper, if they are doing all MAF in between races.

As you raise your volume, monitor your MAF tests. They should be improving.

Good luck!

--Jimmy Cool

log   prs      Crusted Salt comic #142

lesterbsb

Hi mates, I guess this topic is kinda abandoned, but i´ll try anyway.

I started reading stuff on low HR training, Maffetone´s method, etc. I´m not a beginner runner, but last year I got stuck after gifted on an ITB injure. I´m running minimalists, 5 fingers, since january 2013.

But there´s one thing is vague enough, that´s almost making me get rid of this low hr training: the lack of coaches or some source to help me schedule a training program. Yes...its written everywhere that it´s particular to my goals...so Every trainning plan is !!! And my goal is 42k under 3h15.

What I do need and cannot find answers after a couple of weeks on  search is :

- How long should I run daily at this begining (12 weeks of basebuild)

- How much should I increase running time weekly?

- What trainning variations should I be submitted (short runs, long runs, speed runs....)

- After those 12 weeks, how should I train?

This method appears to be so cool, but it´s impressive neither Phil Maffetone has more than 1 coach he knows who follows his method ! Why????? It´s damn hard to find someone to prepare you with this low hr approach, and I´d be extremely thankful to find someone to guide me through this process (or send me a coach´s name)

many thanks to all of you, keep running !

Lester

lesterbsb

Hi mates, I guess this topic is kinda abandoned, but i´ll try anyway.

I started reading stuff on low HR training, Maffetone´s method, etc. I´m not a beginner runner, but last year I got stuck after gifted on an ITB injure. I´m running minimalists, 5 fingers, since january 2013.

But there´s one thing is vague enough, that´s almost making me get rid of this low hr training: the lack of coaches or some source to help me schedule a training program. Yes...its written everywhere that it´s particular to my goals...so Every trainning plan is !!! And my goal is 42k under 3h15.

What I do need and cannot find answers after a couple of weeks on  search is :

- How long should I run daily at this begining (12 weeks of basebuild)

- How much should I increase running time weekly?

- What trainning variations should I be submitted (short runs, long runs, speed runs....)

- After those 12 weeks, how should I train?

This method appears to be so cool, but it´s impressive neither Phil Maffetone has more than 1 coach he knows who follows his method ! Why????? It´s damn hard to find someone to prepare you with this low hr approach, and I´d be extremely thankful to find someone to guide me through this process (or send me a coach´s name)

many thanks to all of you, keep running !

Lester