Low HR Training

HR and bonking (Read 302 times)

I'm trying to interpret my HR data from the last marathon. Usually, I'm able to pick it up and get up and over threshold HR. This last one, not only was that out of the question, but I found I couldn't even maintain the relatively modest HR that I'd held for the first 22 miles. Would one expect to see a spike in HR with a bonk or this?
    BeeRunB

Wow. Your HR stayed 143-146 the whole time. With a 138 at the end. I read your report, and I'm not sure if you started drinking Gatorade too early, and maybe too much. Did you start out too fast for the goal pace? Looks like a wall experience. You couldn't run fast enough to keep your HR up. Dead legs=no glyco. Enjoyed your report. --Jimmy
        Wow. Your HR stayed 143-146 the whole time. With a 138 at the end. I read your report, and I'm not sure if you started drinking Gatorade too early, and maybe too much. Did you start out too fast for the goal pace? Looks like a wall experience. You couldn't run fast enough to keep your HR up. Dead legs=no glyco. Enjoyed your report. --Jimmy
        I'm thinking Wall too. I'm not especially fast but tend to be able to hold my pace for a while. I might have started out a tad quick for the legs, but aerobically 143/44 is actually low for me at the start of one of these. And I was breathing easy throughout. My avg. HR is prior 2 real marathons was 148 and 149. For this, it was 143 -- and it was hotter. I wonder whether one typically sees a jump in HR when they run out of gas (it goes up when i get dehydrated) or if the experience is more like mine. Either that or I beat up my quads so badly that I just didn't have the muscle power available. (The 138, btw, is misleading because I spent at least 2 minutes of that time sitting down in the honeypot. But even at 142, it's weird that I just couldn't get the legs to go.) Or, I suppose, it just wasn't my day because Mars was in Virgo or I didn't tie my left shoe first or wear my lucky undies, or whatever. Whatever, if I can stay healthy, this summer's going to be lots and lots of easy miles.