Low HR Training

Narrow pace spread during MAF test (Read 256 times)

Misplaced runner...

Greetings all, 

So I'm back on the MAFwagon again.  I've decided to commit a minimum of one year to it.  I ran my first MAF test today.  Five miles on the track under a light early morning overcast, a slight breeze, and cool temps - very nice.  At 42 y.o., I have my MAF at 138 plus 5 for running several years with no injuries and moderate improvement last year at the 5 and 10k distance.  So I set my limits on my HRM for 142-144.  A progressive warm-up lasting 15 minutes, then 5 x 1 miles on the track.  My paces were 9:08 min/mi, 9:08, 9:17, 9:17, and 9:20. 

I was just a bit curious if a 12 second spread between my first and fifth mile was narrow, or within reason?  Thanks,

Tim

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

Happy

Greetings all, 

So I'm back on the MAFwagon again.  I've decided to commit a minimum of one year to it.  I ran my first MAF test today.  Five miles on the track under a light early morning overcast, a slight breeze, and cool temps - very nice.  At 42 y.o., I have my MAF at 138 plus 5 for running several years with no injuries and moderate improvement last year at the 5 and 10k distance.  So I set my limits on my HRM for 142-144.  A progressive warm-up lasting 15 minutes, then 5 x 1 miles on the track.  My paces were 9:08 min/mi, 9:08, 9:17, 9:17, and 9:20. 

I was just a bit curious if a 12 second spread between my first and fifth mile was narrow, or within reason?  Thanks,

Tim

Tim, Welcome  - you've obviously been her before judging by your comment; at that time I was not here.

About your MAF test:

When you post your data here and ask questions it is good to provide as much info as possible because otherwise we will be guessing and not using the facts. In this case, it would be nice to know your Average HR and Max HR in each of the miles that you gave us your pace for. If your AHR was up and down from mile to mile it would/could explain the paces or help to understand the narrow drop in pace as your test progressed. So let us know your AHR and MxHR for each of the miles.

If your AHR was the same or within 1-2BPM of each other and your mile splits were done precisely (Garmin or other device taking the splits automatically is more precise than you taking them manually) we can compare the mile paces very nicely. If your AHR was up and down by more it's a different story.

Did you stop and rest between each mile or did you run continuously? 

(You are supposed to run continuously for the test).

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
      BeeRunB

Greetings all, 

Tim

Hey Tim,

Wow,  Nice test.

Excuse me for a moment as I go wipe the drool from my chin, and go mafferbate.

12 seconds is almost even splits in an MAF test. Normally, there is a bit more slowing per mile, but you might be in fine shape coming in to this base phase. Most of the time, I'm coming into a base phase off a vacation from running. Just do the test the same way every time. You have a nice test to start with as a benchmark. Although, depending on how often you do the test, you will see some fluctuations up or down as you go. Don't freak if you slow some at first, it turns around.

Just a reminder, you can keep the same MAF of 143 for the next five years, as long as you keep seeing progression and stay healthy.

Keep going!

--Jimmy

Misplaced runner...

Thanks to the two of you for your responses.  Flower, I don't have a Garmin; just a very basic Polar HRM, so I don't have an avg and max HR for each mile.  I did do the run continuously, despite my posting as a 5x1 mile.  Overall it indicated that my avg was 143, with a 150 max.  It did indicate that I was "in zone" for 44 minutes of the 46+ it took me to do the run.  Without stopping/starting the HRM at the end/beginning of each segment, which would mean slowing or stopping for a bit, I'm not sure how I could get an avg/max HR for each segment.  I am hoping to get a Garmin 305 soon though.

Jimmy, thanks for the advice.  Yeah, I'm not really concerned with fluctuations over next several tests, or if the conditions/environment change.  I was just wondering if the 12 second spread seemed within "tolerances" for most folks using this training regimen.

Again, thanks for your feedback.  I hope to post here more consistently and frequently as I move more into training.

Tim

Marysville, WA

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

Happy

Tim,

It sounds like you did the test right - your AVHR is right on your ageMAF+5 for being fit and healthy. You do seem to be fit - like Jimmy said in his posts, you are running a very good MAF-time/pace. How long have you been training with a HR monitor?

It can be really hard to stay exactly on your MAF during a 5 mile test and there is always going to be some up and down - the ideal is to stay as close to the MAF as possible at all times during the test, which usually involves making small adjustments to the pace during the test. 

It is my understanding from reading Phillip Maffetone's book on the Method that having the narrow gap or the relatively small HR drift that your test indicates should be a sign that you have good endurance. 

Keep posting and asking - soon we will be learning from you!!

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB