Low HR Training

My MAF UGH (Read 491 times)

I just got home from a run and thinking of my decline over the past year and figured I would post it here just to get it off my chest.

Last year, I ran the NYC Marathon in 3:24, which was 11 minutes faster than my first marathon.  I was quite excited and in pretty good shape.  A week or two after the marathon, I did a MAF Test.  In that test my times were:

Mile 1  8:17

Mile 2  8:25

Mile 3  8:33

The temperature was 54 and the dew point was 53 according to wunderground.com

The past 9 months my running has greatly suffered for numerous reason.  Yesterday, I did a MAF Test and my times were:

Mile 1  8:43

Mile 2  9:06

Mile 3  9:13

The temperature was 84 and the dew point was 66.

On the bright side, I have had two weeks of great runs.  Right now, I am registered for NYC and will see how I improve over the next two months to decide if I should defer or run it.

In looking at my past records (not as well kept), I ran a MAF last summer @

Mile 1 8:32

Mile 2 8:38

Mile 3 8:43

So, I am not as good of shape as I was a year ago, but... 

I just got home from a run and thinking of my decline over the past year and figured I would post it here just to get it off my chest.

Last year, I ran the NYC Marathon in 3:24, which was 11 minutes faster than my first marathon.  I was quite excited and in pretty good shape.  A week or two after the marathon, I did a MAF Test.  In that test my times were:

The past 9 months my running has greatly suffered for numerous reason.  Yesterday, I did a MAF Test and my times were:

On the bright side, I have had two weeks of great runs.  Right now, I am registered for NYC and will see how I improve over the next two months to decide if I should defer or run it.

Can I be Frank

Walk This Way...this way

K,
        Just off the top of my head, I'd say you haven't given yourself enough credit for the difference in temp/dewpoint.
        I wish I had a conversion chart handy, or a link to one, but don't beat yourself up on the pace difference.
        Those elevated conditions can really take a toll! You're probably doing much better than you realize!
        Maybe someone can post a link, or give you the conversion figures?
        BTW, 3:24 In NY is pretty darn nifty. Nice job!

MTA, Hope this helps.
        Pace conversion for heat/humidity
        Maybe not the most accurate, but gives a general idea of these factors.

ts
          It also appears that you haven't been running a lot lately compared to last year. The lack of mileage will affect your fitness. The work you did three weeks ago will show up today.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

TS, thanks for the link.  Yea, I was thinking about the temp and dew point...I think in the back of my head is more the "what if I kept running?"

Thanks for the complement on NYC.  I was very excited.  The final two miles got the best of me, but I think that might be due to the crowd at mile 4 and mile 17...PURE EXCITEMENT.

K,
            Just off the top of my head, I'd say you haven't given yourself enough credit for the difference in temp/dewpoint.
            I wish I had a conversion chart handy, or a link to one, but don't beat yourself up on the pace difference.
            Those elevated conditions can really take a toll! You're probably doing much better than you realize!
            Maybe someone can post a link, or give you the conversion figures?
            BTW, 3:24 In NY is pretty darn nifty. Nice job!

MTA, Hope this helps.
            Pace conversion for heat/humidity
            Maybe not the most accurate, but gives a general idea of these factors.

ts

uh, I'll take 8:43 for now =).