Low HR Training

Slow Jogging - Dr. Hiroaki Tanaka (Read 29 times)

mw71

Hi there, I came across the work of Dr. Hiroaki Tanaka via the links below and wondered what the good people of this forum thought of same? Dr. Tanaka seems to recommend a very slow jogging pace.

Although he does not primarily use heart rate; he does, in his book, suggest "138 - (age/2)" as a HR guide. Significantly lower than MAF HR.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

BeeRunB

Thanks for the links. Running 2.5-5.0 kph is the equivalent of 1.5-3.1 mph. This is indeed slow. I can maintain a jog down to 2.5, but 1.5 is a speed that's hard to walk at. Still, these speeds for most will be burning nearly 100% fat and will be good for aerobic development, if the training load or volume is high enough.

138-(age/2) would put me at 115 bpm, which is about MAF-15 for me, and a range in which I often run these days--as it feels right in terms of stress (during the summer). My fuel mix is about 90% Fat/10% sugar. Very aerobic.

Dr. Tanaka seems to convey that one should get faster at the same perceived effort or in the smiling "niko niko" range. The HRM is an easier way to bring it along. One should get faster at the same HR as time goes on.

He insinuates that he cured his Type 2 diabetes from running long distances in this range. Interesting, and entirely probable. Not the first time I read something like that. Maffetone talks how we can shift our metabolism to burn more fat at rest from MAF training. Must have a positive effect on the body in terms of diabetes.

All in all, I think he and Maffetone are on the same page.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

A few passages from the book on determining niko niko pace ...

By lactate measurement:

In scientific terms, niko niko is the pace that one can keep without significantly exceeding one’s lactate threshold, or the point when lactate starts to accumulate dramatically. And that’s the pace we recommend for slow jogging...

By perceived effort:

While repeating short runs at different speeds, the participants are asked to listen to their bodies, and together we try to estimate what pace will be their optimal slow jogging pace, which is equivalent to an effort level of 10–12 (between “very light” and “light” ) on the Borg scale. It’s best to start with several 1-minute trial runs to find the optimal speed, and at the end try keeping the same pace for 4 minutes to make sure you still feel comfortable. For those with the lowest fitness level, it’s usually around 2.5 miles per hour.

By heart rate:

Another popular way to estimate exercise intensity is by measuring heart rate. We don’t particularly recommend this method, due to big individual differences, but if you want to try, use the following formula: 138 – (your age divided by 2).

If you are thirty, that would be 123 beats/minute, 118 beats/minute for a forty-year-old, 113 beats/minute for a fifty-year-old, and 108 beats/minute for a sixty-year-old. Again, though, it’s a formula for beginners, and there can be individual differences of up to 10 to 20 beats per minute. If you’re going to estimate niko niko pace by heart rate, bear all of this in mind, and if the formula gives you a target heart rate that feels harder than a light effort level, use a lower target heart rate.

Also:

If you use this formula, but the exercise intensity feels like 13 or more on the Borg scale, try to recalculate using 128 - (your age divided by two).

On the contrary, if the original formula feels too easy (9 or less on the scale) change it to 148 - (your age divided by two).

Liz

pace sera, sera