Low HR Training

Just Getting Started (Read 365 times)

db7

Alright guys, I need some advice. I just got started training with HRM. I know everyone says it is hard the first few weeks because of the slow pace. My pace is really SLOW. I used 180-age(34) and then added 5. That seemed really low so I set my max at 160. I have a hard time staying under that especially if I am fatigued from working. I guess my questions are: 1) Is my max rate right for me? I can easily run under 10 min miles. 2) Am I just like everyone else starting out and just need to be patient? 3) Also, is there a minimum mileage that I need to be doing in order to get max benefit? I am planning to run a 5K on the 28th and was thinking of trying to get a max HR like has been discussed on previous threads. Is that what I need to do? Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Forever Learning

DB, I am 35 and had been running for about 16 months (more seriously since the beginning of the year). I use 151 as my MAF and yes my easy pace went from a VDOT table of 9:45 (based on a 23:01 5-K) to around 11:35 to keep my HR under 151 in the later miles of runs over 6. I wish I could claim my pace is improving - it isn't. I have been logging over 35 mpw since the first week of May and thrown in a 5-K and one tempo run. Also one day a week 6x100 strides. I was hoping to see my pace more into the mid 10's after 8 weeks but that doesn't seem to be happening. That said, I will be transitioning into my marathon program at the end of the month. After my marathon (in January) I will probably come back to another 12 week base building season hoping to work more towards 50 mpw at a lower HR (~70%HRR).
      db7

JWU I wonder if you are putting in too many miles per week to see you rate drop and your speed increase? That may not be the case. I am waiting for someone with more knowledge than me to chime in. Your monthly mileage is impressive to say the least. Do you have any problems with recurring injury? If you are not fatigued and not getting injured frequently, I would say just keep working and good luck with your training. Again, I hope some of the guys give us both some advice. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Forever Learning

DB, That thought had crossed my mind... If you read HADD he suggests a base of 50 mpw. Many of the marathoners I speak with say you can "run" a marathon with a base of 40 mow but really need closer to 60 mpw to really race a marathon. For my first i will be somewhat in between... I have been slow to ramp it up - following the Daniels' suggestion of 1 mile for every workout per week. I had be doing 20-28 for most of March/m-dMay. Went to 32-35 in late May and then up to 40 mpw in late June. What is tiring, especially running in the Houston, TX heat, is the additional ~90 minutes per week on the roads due to the slower pace. I now do my mid-long 8/9 miler on Thursday on the TM to help. While I do get sore from time to time I am losing weight (about 10 lbs over the last 8/9 weeks) and getting stronger. That has been the biggest benefit thus far.

Prophet!

DB I'm 30, started running about a year ago..my MAF is 180-30+5 = 155... but i'm doing all my runs pretty much at an average of 140, which is a lot lower hr than my MAF...since i started about 8 wks ago i've improved my easy pace from 9:45 average down to about 9:15 pace now...the first few weeks i didn't see much pace improvements but there was noticeable improvement in my endurance..i felt fresh after a 14 miler with just water and no gel or gatorade. so hang in there...if you read any of Jesse's (formationflier) posts on MAF running at CoolRunning or his FAQ, you'll see that his pace at the start of the program was a lot slower than yours... it just takes time and make sure all your running is strictly below MAF during the base period.
            db7

I feel good when I run. My long s far with the HRM is 8 but I feel like i can easily go 16. It's just frustrating going so slow. It takes so much longer. JWU I feel for you with the heat. It could be that it is harder for you with the heat so your body is even more stressed. Hopefully you picked a nice and cool Mthon to run and you will get a big boost from that. DB

run-easy-race-hard

Yeah, nothing unusual there. I was at 17 min/mile starting out (just over 2 years ago), on treadmill even, at a HR of 145. I was in horrible aerobic shape and I knew it. (I could run a 5k in 21Tight lippedx and a marathon in the low 4s at the time). After many months of exclusively low HR running, I got to the point where I could run 6:55/mile on the treadmill at a heart rate of 139, below my MAF. It took a lot of brutal patience, patience that many don't have. If you really want it, you've just got to stick it out. By the way, starting in the summer is the hardest time because it can have you going 2 min/mile slower than usual, or more! Perhaps you can get a few treadmill runs in, just to get some faster paced runs at the same heart rates. It helps. Sometimes, the lack of improvement is due to the warmer weather, and sometimes it's because there's not enough of a downhill running component to get some faster turnover to maintain running economy. Some have trouble with the process of slowing down a lot going up hills and speeding up a lot going down. It can be an important part for some.