Low HR Training

New to the group - Just a brief intro (Read 37 times)

impatient

Hi, I'm Impatient. Very impatient. But I'm going to try the low HR training for the majority of this year to see if that will finally bring my running to a  more respectable for me level. My primary goal is to break 2 hours in a half marathon.   I don't know WHEN I want to do that, the training will have to guide me.

I did the treadmill MAF test to determine my MAF HR and it is 138. I'm a 38 y.o. female who has been running 15-35 miles / week for the last 3 years. I have only had one minor muscular injury in those 3 years, but I run the same pace regardless of distance and I have asthma with a vocal cord dysfunction so the slight decrease in 180-age is not surprising to me. (I also very rarely get sick... like 1 cold over the last 5 years)  BUT, running-wise I have no gears. SO I realized that my method of "just run" training wasn't getting me anywhere. I have a thick skull so it really did take 3 years to come to that conclusion. Blush

I have been walking my 14:38 MAF wogs on the TM for a week now. I just bought an exercise bike too - that is great for keeping the legs turning over and the HR fairly low (I keep it at around 130 on the bike).  I can swing 1-2 hours of training volume a day. I hope to see great improvement on my MAF pace over the next few months. I'm going to stick out the low heart rate thing for as long as I can stand it. I really hope to stay low until June or July and start adding some MAF +10-15 runs in too. My happy place for running is really around 150, but I want to see what I can see at 138 for a good stretch first.

I am a dataholic so when I post, I can post enough detail about the run/wog to make you all warm and fuzzy inside. I like charts and graphs and the garmin splits just make me smile. Now, if I can just see the MAF pace improve, I"ll feel like I fit in around here.

Cool

welcome here, hope you'll enjoy your running and achieve your goals Smile

there's a few more dataholics here (incl. me) Smile

out of curiosity, what's your HM PR now and how long have you been plateauing?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Welcome, you should get hit it off well with jimmyb.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

RunnerGalBeth

Welcome and good luck.

BeeRunB

Welcome, you should get hit it off well with jimmyb.

You can spot a dataholic from a mile away, Ron. I really thought I was hiding it well.Smile

Welcome, Impatient.

Mark Allen called the aerobic base phase his "Patience Phase." Hope you can vibe off of him for strength.

Look forward to your datahol.

--Jimmy

impatient

My HM PR is 2:14Tight lippedx. I typically run at around a HR in the 170s and it gets really uncomfortable in the 180s. Max/Min = 186 / 55 (that was yesterday, not my all time best) Smile

I feel like I have only every plateaued but my numbers speak slightly different. My very first HM (fall 2010) was 2:25 after 3 months of "just run longer" training. I walked a lot during long runs and felt shame for it... kind of crazy, but no one said I was "all there" mentally. A year later I decided I just needed to run MORE so I trained for / wogged a marathon (Spring 2012). It was during that training that the 2:14 happened. My marathon was a (mental) failure.... much warmer than anticipated, asthma stopped me in my tracks, bad case of the nervous pee's, etc. BUT I finished it.  I'm not sure I want redemption for the marathon, but I want to feel the way I would feel after a great long run. I'm chasing that feeling... albeit, SLOWLY....

... so here comes the patience for dividends later!

I love using the bike trainer as a low hr way to keep the legs revving. I work from home, so I can actually to THIS while on the bike which means, I can likely work too. Wink   As long as the rug-rats can keep themselves occupied without gauging each other's eyes out, I might be able to really "pump up the volume" ... Cool

I knew I'd find a place that would be warm and accepting like you all. Perhaps when I settle in a bit, I'll start posting the stats and charts and copious amounts of data I collect in hopes that THAT will show me wtf I'm doing right/wrong/whatever!

Thanks all! <<warm fuzzies>>

Wandering Wally

Hi ya impatient!  Definitely hope we can learn from each other as we go.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

My HM PR is 2:14Tight lippedx. I typically run at around a HR in the 170s and it gets really uncomfortable in the 180s. Max/Min = 186 / 55 (that was yesterday, not my all time best) Smile

I feel like I have only every plateaued but my numbers speak slightly different.

that's interesting. 170's is pretty high for most people. (for me it's medium-ish effort.) do you know average HR  for the half marathon race?

not sure I understood the bolded part... every what? please clarify Smile