Low HR Training

Advice - Same Run, 2 Results? (Read 708 times)

I am wondering if others see as much variation in daily runs at MAF that I do.

For example, last Monday night I ran 6.0 miles at a 10:01 pace.  Last night, I ran in the same area (different route, but same trails) and I ran 7.3 miles at a 10:50 pace.  MAF of 125 on both runs.  Both runs I did a 15 minute warm up.  5 minutes at 100 - 108, 5 minutes at 108 - 115 and 5 minutes at 115 - 122.

My MAF Test results, which I have posted before, and which I do every 2 weeks, show progress.  The daily variation, however, is odd.  Is it normal and to be expected?.  

Chris

SurfNSB

I would assume it has to do with what you've eaten recently, caffeine, sleep levels, stress levels, etc. I see variation on days too.

I would assume it has to do with what you've eaten recently, caffeine, sleep levels, stress levels, etc. I see variation on days too.

This ^^^^^^^^. but add hydration, temperature, humidity.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I noticed a huge difference (10 bpm) between running first thing in the morning and later in the afternoon. The morning has a much lower HR for me.

I noticed a huge difference (10 bpm) between running first thing in the morning and later in the afternoon. The morning has a much lower HR for me.

Both of my runs were in the evening.  Temperature about the same.  Shorts and short sleve shirt here in Dallas.

Chris

Both of my runs were in the evening.  Temperature about the same.  Shorts and short sleve shirt here in Dallas.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Physical training stress could account for it. ANY emotional, mental stresses can be a huge factor. Just keep paying attention to your MAF tests and make sure you track any variables that could affect the actual test. Even then, I think you need to look for trands more then the actual numbers or percentages from between tests.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

I am wondering if others see as much variation in daily runs at MAF that I do.

For example, last Monday night I ran 6.0 miles at a 10:01 pace.  Last night, I ran in the same area (different route, but same trails) and I ran 7.3 miles at a 10:50 pace.  MAF of 125 on both runs.  Both runs I did a 15 minute warm up.  5 minutes at 100 - 108, 5 minutes at 108 - 115 and 5 minutes at 115 - 122.

My MAF Test results, which I have posted before, and which I do every 2 weeks, show progress.  The daily variation, however, is odd.  Is it normal and to be expected?.  

Yup. It's one of the beauties of HRM training, you are never forcing a pace. Some days, all your body has isa 10:50, and others it has a 10:00. Overall, you should see progress, but you will always have this range your body is swinging in.

--Jimmy Cool

Thx for the comments.  With the help of the group, I am learning!

Chris

SurfNSB

Funny for me it is the exact opposite. My morning runs are usually higher HR than if I run late afternoon. Its odd.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Elevations may not be the same going in different directions.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Yesterday I switched from an indoor track to outside (snowy/icy) roads and noticed quite a jump in my pace. Go figure...Smile

It is great having an anchor like HR though. I've actually taken anything regarding pace off of my main display of the Garmin. I only check it after my run.

It is great having an anchor like HR though. I've actually taken anything regarding pace off of my main display of the Garmin. I only check it after my run.

I did the same thing.  Do not look at pace except when my Garmin shows the pace after each mile I run.  The real time pace on my Garmin Forerunner 610 is not accurate anyway.  It varies too much.  I quit looking at it before I started LHR training.

Chris

I did the same thing.  Do not look at pace except when my Garmin shows the pace after each mile I run.  The real time pace on my Garmin Forerunner 610 is not accurate anyway.  It varies too much.  I quit looking at it before I started LHR training.

Instead of instant pace, you should display the "lap" pace. After about a 1/4 mile its pretty much evened out and the pace doesn't jump up and down anymore.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Instead of instant pace, you should display the "lap" pace. After about a 1/4 mile its pretty much evened out and the pace doesn't jump up and down anymore.

Thx BT but how fast I ran 1/2 mile ago does not tell me how fast I am running now.  I guess, however, if I am running a consistent speed it will help.

Chris