Low HR Training

Heart-rate Variability and How It Helps with Training and Racing (Read 526 times)

Race Less Train More

Run until the trail runs out.

2013***1500 miles

50 miler

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the article.  Very interesting.

I recall that you have been having a low resting heart rate lately.  Do you think you are a little overtrainined?

It is interesting how we have these two influences on our heart rate - sympathetic and parasympathetic (as the article talks about).  Although the article says we generally get the sympathetic first and then eventually the parasympathetic as stages of overtraining, I find that I experience what feels like parasympathetic symptoms the day after a hard workout.  My heart rate just does not want to come up.  It kind of fights to stay low.  And I feel no energy.  If I ignore the feeling and even try to run at MAF, I could actually do a MAF test that might make it look like I am actually having a better than normal HR for the pace.  This is always an indication that this is a recovery day for me.  I am even questioning whether I should even run at all on these days.  Lately I have been running every other day, instead, on occasions, and I feel more recovered this way.

Sometimes when I do "recovery runs" the day after a hard workout, I find that the following day, I am still not quite fully recovered because the recovery run still took something out of me.  I am still learning my body.

The article mentioned the influence of caffeine on the sympathetic system.  Because I was drinking way too much coffee in the past, I found that my body got used to the caffeine and needed the cafeine to keep the systems balanced.  So, when I tried running without having caffeine, again, my HR wanted to stay very low and it felt like a recovery run.  I recently gave up coffee for good, and now I am able to get right out of bed and run and feel normal.

Thanks for the article.  Very interesting.

I recall that you have been having a low resting heart rate lately.  Do you think you are a little overtrainined?

It is interesting how we have these two influences on our heart rate - sympathetic and parasympathetic (as the article talks about).  Although the article says we generally get the sympathetic first and then eventually the parasympathetic as stages of overtraining, I find that I experience what feels like parasympathetic symptoms the day after a hard workout.  My heart rate just does not want to come up.  It kind of fights to stay low.  And I feel no energy.  If I ignore the feeling and even try to run at MAF, I could actually do a MAF test that might make it look like I am actually having a better than normal HR for the pace.  This is always an indication that this is a recovery day for me.  I am even questioning whether I should even run at all on these days.  Lately I have been running every other day, instead, on occasions, and I feel more recovered this way.

Sometimes when I do "recovery runs" the day after a hard workout, I find that the following day, I am still not quite fully recovered because the recovery run still took something out of me.  I am still learning my body.

The article mentioned the influence of caffeine on the sympathetic system.  Because I was drinking way too much coffee in the past, I found that my body got used to the caffeine and needed the cafeine to keep the systems balanced.  So, when I tried running without having caffeine, again, my HR wanted to stay very low and it felt like a recovery run.  I recently gave up coffee for good, and now I am able to get right out of bed and run and feel normal.

mm, maybe I'm doing something wrong (not working out hard enough?) but after a hard workout I don't feel like this next day. the only one case where I did was after my first half marathon race (this was in full sun, not much shade.. killed me). I did not run the next day, only the day after that and my HR was crazy low for me, MAF-9 average excluding warmup (incl. warmup it was even lower) BUT the pace was around MAF pace or hardly slower! and I felt weird during the run. so the effects lasted for more than 1 day... but anyway after this recovery run, the third day I finally felt fine and everything including HR was perfectly normal.

then I ran my first ~20 mile, not at race pace, but not at MAF either, the avg HR was MAF+22 Smile, I didn't feel tired next day, but when I tried to run 2 days later, HR was normal but my legs weren't. obviously they weren't used to the distance. anyway the point I'm making here is that due to this I was allowing only a very low HR again (but pace belonging to it was realistic). it was MAF-17 (incl. warmup, no separate warmup HR for this workout but excl. warmup I believe it wouldn't have been more than MAF-15 either).

I ran second ~20 mile recently, avg HR MAF+19, the difference is that it was 90% on trails, only 10% asphalt, and my legs felt fine (except my poor quads!), I went for a run next day already, legs fine, HR okay, though a little low perhaps. I planned to run at MAF-10 but in the end I ran this one at MAF-14 average if excluding warmup HR (MAF-16 incl. warmup). 1 full hour and I could have gone on so I don't view this one as a true recovery run as the need for recovery wasn't great either.

so my question is, what HR do you use for a recovery run? in my case, I find it should be at least as low as MAF-10 or even lower.

also, how long are your recovery runs? mine (as above) are 35-40mins, later I read that this is actually the recommended duration, it should be 30-40mins, definitely not more than 45.

with these attributes, I find that recovery runs help me.

mm, maybe I'm doing something wrong (not working out hard enough?) but after a hard workout I don't feel like this next day. 

It just means you are able to recover more easily than I.  I think being younger has a lot to do with it.  I think every body is different in how fast they are able to recover and being younger definitely helps.  I have always noticed this about myself, that I do not tend to recover very fast.

so my question is, what HR do you use for a recovery run? in my case, I find it should be at least as low as MAF-10 or even lower.

also, how long are your recovery runs? mine (as above) are 35-40mins, later I read that this is actually the recommended duration, it should be 30-40mins, definitely not more than 45.

My MAF is 132 and I usually do recovery runs in the 120s and they are not longer than 45 minutes.

I love to run and endurance has always been my weak point.  So, when I do long runs (1.5 hours) that beats me up more than anything.  No matter how slow I do it.  I seem to recover relatively well from shorter, more intense workouts. 

Race Less Train More

run48** I have been showing signs of over training for about six weeks. Cut mileage. Low HR may very will be from over training.Will be checking resting HR first thing in the morning for the next two weeks. From 6/12 - 7/24 I have had six races. I did not realize it was that many until this moment.

cmon2** runs not post. My recovery runs are usually 3 mile walks in about 52:00.HR 90-105

Run until the trail runs out.

2013***1500 miles

50 miler

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

run48:

I don't think I recovered fast from that half marathon.. even when I felt okay on the third day, I was still slightly susceptible to injury.

endurance is also my weak point...I'm slow over longer distances, but I'm working hard on it Smile but if I run 1.5 hours at MAF, that's just an easy regular workout. MAF HR is really easy, even at 2.5 hours or longer (okay, depending on terrain, 2.5 can be a bit bad for the joints but they recover very fast, I feel nothing next day).

runnerclay: I guess recovery method is really individual (walks that slow would bore me. walk at 14mm is slightly less boring.. anything slower than that just kills me! hehe)

btw, what in the training made you overtrained in your opinion?