Low HR Training

Maffetone Method (Read 692 times)

Hawt and sexy

Wow. I missed this. Um, yeah a bunch of us here do this method. As the crew pointed out, you are doing it wrong if this is the approach you are willing to try. The results can be phenomenal if you stick with it. I need to visit here more often. Got any candy Jimmy?

I'm touching your pants.

... Anyway, is something like 30mpw too little for this approach? Is something along the 40-50mpw more appropriate? I'm sure it is not something set it stone (and includes a host of variables) but I would sure love to hear some opinions and/or gross generalizations about this...
      Just a data point, not enough for a generalization: Last year at this time I was doing maybe 30 mpw, probably less, at HR 125 +/-, which I thought was right. This year I'm about 50 mpw at HR 117 (training HR determined by my VO2 test last Fall.) It has been very easy to up the mpw from <20 in feb to about 50 now. both years i did a mid-june half marathon, "medium" effort. this year i ate a worse dinner the night before, got less sleep, and had worse weather (a bit hotter.) nevertheless, i felt better throughout, stronger at all heart rates, my legs felt great at the end (no soreness, unlike last year), and i beat last year's time by 21 minutes with a good negative split (last half of race 1:30 min/mile faster than first half.) i attribute this to the proper lhr training heart rate and the increase in mpw. as usual, ymmv (hopefully upwards :) ) in="" feb="" to="" about="" 50="" now.="" both="" years="" i="" did="" a="" mid-june="" half="" marathon,="" "medium"="" effort.="" this="" year="" i="" ate="" a="" worse="" dinner="" the="" night="" before,="" got="" less="" sleep,="" and="" had="" worse="" weather="" (a="" bit="" hotter.)="" nevertheless,="" i="" felt="" better="" throughout,="" stronger="" at="" all="" heart="" rates,="" my="" legs="" felt="" great="" at="" the="" end="" (no="" soreness,="" unlike="" last="" year),="" and="" i="" beat="" last="" year's="" time="" by="" 21="" minutes="" with="" a="" good="" negative="" split="" (last="" half="" of="" race="" 1:30="" min/mile="" faster="" than="" first="" half.)="" i="" attribute="" this="" to="" the="" proper="" lhr="" training="" heart="" rate="" and="" the="" increase="" in="" mpw.="" as="" usual,="" ymmv="" (hopefully="" upwards="" :)="" )=""></20 in feb to about 50 now. both years i did a mid-june half marathon, "medium" effort. this year i ate a worse dinner the night before, got less sleep, and had worse weather (a bit hotter.) nevertheless, i felt better throughout, stronger at all heart rates, my legs felt great at the end (no soreness, unlike last year), and i beat last year's time by 21 minutes with a good negative split (last half of race 1:30 min/mile faster than first half.) i attribute this to the proper lhr training heart rate and the increase in mpw. as usual, ymmv (hopefully upwards :) ) >
        welcome. Coolrunning? Oh yeah, a good ol' friend. May it rest in peace. Race results and calendar is still worth it, for my area anyway. --Jimmy
        Speaking of the old Coolrunning site, it really amazes me how much information is contained in those old discussions. Whenever I am doing a search on this topic in google, the old discussions come up a lot. Below is a link that I have found really interesting. It is a link to the beginning of a very long thread called "Maffetone low heart rate training - progress and observations (long!)". It is great that Cool running has decided to archive this discussion. I have found it interesting because it has answered many questions that I have had. The flow of the discussion is great. It sort of shows the evolution of Jesse's FAQ. What I also found interesting is that I recognize a lot of the people from that discussion group as people who participate a lot now in this group. I recognize a lot of the names, because many use the same or similar names. It contains a wealth of great information, but it takes a some patience to wade through it all. http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Archives/Archive-000003/HTML/20060330-6-014522.shtml
        BeeRunB

Wow. I missed this. Um, yeah a bunch of us here do this method. As the crew pointed out, you are doing it wrong if this is the approach you are willing to try. The results can be phenomenal if you stick with it. I need to visit here more often. Got any candy Jimmy?
          ere, have a movie-sized box of snowcaps. Sprinkle the left over snowflakes on a black table top, crush them with a spoon and watch how creativity and destruction go hand in hand, and how with each crush of the spoon, you enter a new probable universe. Horton Hears A Hoo fantasies can come into play --Jimmy