Low HR Training

Treadmills, Treadmills... (Read 337 times)

OK, so 3.11 miles into my run this morning my treadmill just stopped. 7.3mph to 0mph in about 3 seconds. Luckily no one was hurt. So want kind of treadmills does everyone have. The El Cheapo's, or some commercial kind...
    BeeRunB

You might be able to get it repaired for way less than a new treadmill. Call the company who made it, or search the internet, and see who fixes treadmills in your area. They will come to your home and do it. That being said, I know that because we've had many visits by the local bike shop to fix ours. We bought a Pacemaster Gold Elite, which is pretty reputable. The first one we had, the HRM didn't work on it, and there was a problem with a roller. After many failed visits, Pacemaster sent us a brand new treadmill. No charge for anything--under warranty. The second one, the running board cracked. They fixed that no charge. No problems since. Getting a little squeaky though. Might be time for a tune-up. Would we buy another Pacemaster? Maybe. They treated us very well, but there were a lot of problems. Took up a lot of my time. Hopefully we won't need a new one. It's better to just repair it I would think. We paid 1800.00, and don't really want to spend that again. --Jimmy
        I have an old Nordic Track (1000EX) that is about 10 years old and have had 0 issues with it. I believe I paid about $1000 for it new. I agree with Jimmy about getting it fixed, unless you really want a new one. Not sure how the Nordic Tracks rate now adays. John
          This treamill is an el cheapo ProForm that has to be maybe 8-9 years old... I'll look under the hood tonight to see if there anything I can figure, but the treadmill has been creaking and making funny noises for a while now. Wouldn't mind replacing it, but with the warm weather coming (hopefully soon), hopefully I won't be using it that much until end of October or November. But.... my wife likes to use the treadmill and for some reason she doesn't like to run outside (plus the fact she has to watch our daughter while running), we might have to replace it. I've been looking at the Pacemaster Platinum Pro VR model..... Just wanted to see what every one else had. Unfortunately, my current dead TM is in the basement so that'll be fun getting it out...
            Try craigslist.org for a used one. People buy super nice expensive treadmills as a New Year's resolution- they never or hardly use them and the spouse just wants it out of the house. You can get a used treadmill much nicer/newer than the one you have for the price of the part/repair you probably need for your Proform. You have to check daily for the good deals-they go quick. The only headache is getting rid of your broken one and getting the used one out of the seller's house and into your house.

Half Fanatic #846

I've had a Pro Form TM (about $700) for 4 years and like it, especially since it has a 2-speed fan. About 3 months ago I had trouble with the belt and found out that Sears (even tho they don't sell 'em) will make a service call and repair it. The service call, check up, & adjustment was $64. He did say that if the motor goes out, the P&L will be about $600, in which case we would buy a new one. Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Ah, cheapest way is to buy winter running shoes and summer running shoes and rain proof clothing. Then just out you go... Or, you can keep your rest days when it's raining. Sorry to hijack the post.
                  My wife and I have a Life Fitness T5. It wasn't the cheapest, but we have no regrets so far. http://us.home.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/t50 I've done tempo runs on this machine and I love the stability of it. The T3 is essentially just as sturday, but with a few less features, and a fair bit less bite out of the wallet. (I don't think it has the HRM, etc. which we definitely wanted) The way I look at it, we used to spend 2K a year smoking. A good treadmill is worth it. Smile
                    just got my first treadmill on Tuesday and did my first run on it tonight, just a no name brand off ebay but all the features, its quite stable, 3 year motor warranty and on site service if needed. Hoping it will keep me going through the winter down here. Is there any similarity running on the treadmill and using a windtrainer for the bike in that they say an effort on the windtrainer is worth longer time wise than an outside ride? Guessing due to constant need to pedal on a windtrainer where as you can roll on a bike outside but suppose thats not really relevant to running where you still have to run the whole time for both... Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

Master of Inconsistency

Just wanted to add that the exact same thing happened to me at work yesterday ! How strange is that. I was 3 miles in, 1 warm 2 Tempo when it shut off. Didn't get hurt ,but it was a hell of a shock to the body. I forget what kind we have at work but it worked great for many years. We put in a requisition for a new one last year but it seems the budget has dried up. Greg

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

For Hank: Running on treadmills stimulates quite different muscles attributes then normal running. You do not that much move your body forward on treadmill, but let your leg slide with the belt. If you run a long time on treadmill, you might be surprised how hard it is to run outside for few weeks. Still, it is better then no run at all.
                          Ah, cheapest way is to buy winter running shoes and summer running shoes and rain proof clothing. Then just out you go... Or, you can keep your rest days when it's raining. Sorry to hijack the post.
                          Well with the warm weather coming I wouldn't be worry about replacing it just yet. Its just that my wife likes to use the treadmill also, and since I'm the one who "broke" it, I feel guilty and just tyring to figure out how to replace it. Also, I'd rather not run outside in the pouring rain and wind when its 35-40F out. If its 55-60F+ and raining I don't mind. I don't mind snow either its the cold rain that is the worst and I'd rather run inside on the TM. Plus we all know that even though it was 20F when I ran outside this AM, it will be a lot warmer when I get to the starting line in Boston in 18 days and running on the TM at 60-67F is at least some warm weather running.
                            What you said is true. My comment was not that serious though I do try to run outside as much as possible, instead of treadmill. In fact I quit treadmill running 5 years ago. If its raining icy rain I keep a rest day nowadays. But, I do love running on/in snow Tongue
                              Well, my first unscheduled day-off due to treadmill broken and cold rainy (pouring grain) morning. Maybe if its not raining too hard when I get home from work I'll head out for a couple.....