Low HR Training

First MAF test (Read 1399 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

MAF test yesterday. I didn't start out with a MAF test in mind but once I got going, I decided to make it a MAF test. I was planning on an easy day yesterday because I did a 10.09 mile (111 laps) run on the same track the day before so an easy day was in order.

This is the first time I have performed the test indoors on the YMCA running track. The track is very short with 11 laps to a mile. Indoor temp 70.

1 mile warm up 10:28 with a Ave HR or 135. I spent some time stretching before the mile run.

Mile 1 = 10:48......Ave HR 139

Mile 2 = 10:54......Ave HR 140

Mile 3 = 10:53......Ave HR 140

Mile 4 = 11:02......Ave HR 140

Mile 5 = 11:00......Ave HR 140

0.36 mile cool down.

Overall the run felt pretty good.

Great numbers. What would they look like if you took a rest day first?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Wow that is great progress! Awesome!

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Thanks Bob

I started swimming about 6 weeks ago and have lost about 10 pounds since my previous MAF test. I found that running fitness does not necessarily transfer over to the swim, but have been told by many triathlete friends that the opposite works out. The swimming fitness transfers over to the running fitness. I've also been biking on the indoor trainer a lot lately to get ready for some triathlons this summer.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

MAF Test today.

I di a warm up run to our fitness center so I could do the MAF Test on the tradmill that I have performed most of my other tests on. My HR dropped a bunch because I had to walk into the fitness center, turn on the fan and get it up to speed. I then ran some to get my HR up to MAF, then started tracking the mile laps.

1.3 miles @ 10:20 pace,  137 Ave HR

Test::

Mile 1 = 10:08......Ave HR = 139

Mile 2 = 10:13......Ave HR = 139

Mile 3 = 10:26......Ave HR = 140

Mile 4 = 10:33......Ave HR = 139

Ave pace = 10:20......Ave HR = 139

1.3 mile run back home @ 10:35 pace,   140 Ave HR

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Sweet! 0:25 drop over the 4 miles.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

*DROOL!*
              Ran_On_Empty

Got some q's on the test.  Did one a few weeks ago at MAF-10.   My pace fell off over 4 miles rather fast. 

I repeated the test last night and got better(?) results.  I ran at the top of my zone  (125-135)  ((Max 173)).  At 135 I am at MAF-4.  After a slow 1.25 warm up I locked in at 7.5MPH 8:00 pace.  at 1Mile I dropped down to 7.4 and each mile or so had to drop .1 until I stopped at 5.5 miles and 7.0 mph or 8:34 pace.

I have been keeping my running between 110 and 135 for my training.  Should I be testing at a higher HR 135 or lower 130 or even lower.125.  The 135 felt good I was not thirsty and did not drink during the test.  It was on a treadmill at the Y.  I ran with sore legs for this test, but they got lose about 20 minutes into the test.

Any suggestions about where my MAF # should be at at what HR I should track improvement??

I did complete a marathon six weeks ago or so.  Ran too fast in the middle (string of 7'30 to 8minute miles) My quads crashed and I limped in under 4 hrs. Last 4 miles average 10-11 min.  Have been back to serious running for about 8 months.

Ran at your MAF HR for every mile you are doing the test. Trying to keep your HR steady will make you slow over time from cardiac drift, thats what you are tracking.

Do them the same everytime. That means keep track of the weather if you are doing them outside. Track the humidity whether your inside or outside. Try to use the same treadmill. You want to be able to cross reference any outside factors that might affect your mile pace to see if you are regressing from stress or other causese.

I keep track of the mile pace, not speed.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

Got some q's on the test.  Did one a few weeks ago at MAF-10.   My pace fell off over 4 miles rather fast. 

I repeated the test last night and got better(?) results.  I ran at the top of my zone  (125-135)  ((Max 173)).  At 135 I am at MAF-4.  After a slow 1.25 warm up I locked in at 7.5MPH 8:00 pace.  at 1Mile I dropped down to 7.4 and each mile or so had to drop .1 until I stopped at 5.5 miles and 7.0 mph or 8:34 pace.

I have been keeping my running between 110 and 135 for my training.  Should I be testing at a higher HR 135 or lower 130 or even lower.125.  The 135 felt good I was not thirsty and did not drink during the test.  It was on a treadmill at the Y.  I ran with sore legs for this test, but they got lose about 20 minutes into the test.

Any suggestions about where my MAF # should be at at what HR I should track improvement??

I did complete a marathon six weeks ago or so.  Ran too fast in the middle (string of 7'30 to 8minute miles) My quads crashed and I limped in under 4 hrs. Last 4 miles average 10-11 min.  Have been back to serious running for about 8 months.

MAF tests should be run at your calculated MAF, which is 180-age plus any adjustments you are taking according to the adjustment list.

If your MAF is 139, then do the test at 139. What I do is keep a small zone around the number of (using your MAF as an example) 138-140. I allow 3-4 second blips of 140. If it lasts longer, I slow down. I allow 138 for longer blips. If it hangs on 137 or lower, I speed up. Averaging MAF.

This page at Dr. Phil's website explains calculating your MAF and the MAF test. Scroll towards the bottom to find the info.

Good luck!

-Jimmy

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

2 mile WU

Interval 1 mi 11:48.88 11:48.88 11:49 124 130  
                      2 Interval 1 mi 12:22.54 24:11.42 12:23 123 128  
                      3 Interval <center>—</center> 0:06.21 24:17.63 <center>—</center> 122 122  

9/18/10

1 Interval 1 mi 10:32.82 10:32.82 10:33 125

Hope to see improvement once the knee completely heals.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter