Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

5 mile run with HR monitor but no watch.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Hi.  Ended up with 44 miles for this week.  I was rear ended on Friday on my way to a deposition and the asshole almost left.  All worked out and although the car didn't have much damage, I had to fix it because of the back up camera sensor.  Should be ready by Tuesday.  My knee is achy and now I panic since last time when someone Tboned me I ended up with my meniscus tear. Sigh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SD_BlackHills

Hi.  Ended up with 44 miles for this week.  I was rear ended on Friday on my way to a deposition and the asshole almost left.  All worked out and although the car didn't have much damage, I had to fix it because of the back up camera sensor.  Should be ready by Tuesday.  My knee is achy and now I panic since last time when someone Tboned me I ended up with my meniscus tear. Sigh.

Holy cow.  That's not cool.  Unfortunately staying healthy involves relying on others not making stupid driving mistakes around us!

72.5 miles last week.  Very humid over the weekend.  I looked like I came out of lake on Sunday despite running an easy effort.  Humidity was 90% during that run.

Docket_Rocket

Ran 7 on the TM yesterday and lifted.

SD, nice miles!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Ran 7 on the TM yesterday and lifted.

SD, nice miles!

How's the meniscus tear doing?  Anything you need to get looked at? (hopefully not)

SD - +1 on the nice mileage.  I've had a couple runs so far this year when the humidity is so horrible that I'm totally soaked head to toe.  Since I usually have to drive an hour home after my run, I'll have to wrap myself in a towel and drive au naturale.  Just hope I don't get into an accident or pulled over. 

I'm flip-flopping on if I should do a 30 hour race on June 30.  I won't go for the full 30 hours, but see if I can hit 100 in 24 hours.  The weather so far is mid-80's during the day, which makes it much less appealing.  Still thinking.....

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Docket_Rocket

How's the meniscus tear doing?  Anything you need to get looked at? (hopefully not)

SD - +1 on the nice mileage.  I've had a couple runs so far this year when the humidity is so horrible that I'm totally soaked head to toe.  Since I usually have to drive an hour home after my run, I'll have to wrap myself in a towel and drive au naturale.  Just hope I don't get into an accident or pulled over. 

I'm flip-flopping on if I should do a 30 hour race on June 30.  I won't go for the full 30 hours, but see if I can hit 100 in 24 hours.  The weather so far is mid-80's during the day, which makes it much less appealing.  Still thinking.....

Shudder!  I had meniscus tear surgery and it is at 100%.  Don't jinx it!  Smile

I do panic of course because the last tear happened during the last accident.  May the asshole gets his karma.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

4 miles in <1 hour.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Hi, all!

New to the group, MAF training, and running in general. I ran for about 6 months back in 2015, but that was it, and it didn't go well. Improvements during that time were minimal, if any, and I started gaining weight the more I ran. And it was not muscle, it was fat. Not the desired effect.

I'm 53 with a little bit of hypermobility issues, so this seemed like the way to be able to keep running for many years without turning hypermobility into immobility after a while. So here I am!

Weather is hot right now (predicted high for tomorrow is 111F) so I just signed up for the gym at my work. It has an indoor track, so I'm avoiding treadmills. I hate them with a passion.

Anyway, Monday's run was slow because I'm new. My pace averaged around 17:20 for 2.76 miles, mostly due to heat and just plain being new to running and MAF. It really does take a whole lot of patience. I never was fast (14:15 - 15:00 pace) but this slow is ROUGH!

Trying out the indoor track tomorrow, but still plan on running outside Sunday mornings.

"You should wear a helmet."

Newbie runner, so be patient.

SD_BlackHills

Hi, all!

New to the group, MAF training, and running in general. I ran for about 6 months back in 2015, but that was it, and it didn't go well. Improvements during that time were minimal, if any, and I started gaining weight the more I ran. And it was not muscle, it was fat. Not the desired effect.

I'm 53 with a little bit of hypermobility issues, so this seemed like the way to be able to keep running for many years without turning hypermobility into immobility after a while. So here I am!

Weather is hot right now (predicted high for tomorrow is 111F) so I just signed up for the gym at my work. It has an indoor track, so I'm avoiding treadmills. I hate them with a passion.

Anyway, Monday's run was slow because I'm new. My pace averaged around 17:20 for 2.76 miles, mostly due to heat and just plain being new to running and MAF. It really does take a whole lot of patience. I never was fast (14:15 - 15:00 pace) but this slow is ROUGH!

Trying out the indoor track tomorrow, but still plan on running outside Sunday mornings.

Welcome and good luck!  Geez, I feel for you guys that live in hot areas.  I wouldn't worry about running slow.  None of us here are going to the Olympics any time soon (unless there is someone lurking that is!). 

I wonder if the reason you gained fat was because you were eating more.  I've found that it's pretty common for my weight to fluctuate up when I increase mileage and down when I decrease mileage.  This is probably due to the fact that when my mileage goes up, I'm much hungrier and tend to pig out.

SD_BlackHills

I've had a couple runs so far this year when the humidity is so horrible that I'm totally soaked head to toe.  Since I usually have to drive an hour home after my run, I'll have to wrap myself in a towel and drive au naturale.  Just hope I don't get into an accident or pulled over. 

HAHAHAHA.  The towel story is hilarious.  I didn't drive anywhere so I just got in the shower immediately when I got back to the house.  Otherwise, what do you do?  You don't want to ruin any upholstery.

30 miles on the 30th of the month.  Nice.  100 miles in 24 hours is a major milestone for many very good ultra runners.  It would be a cool accomplishment.  I wouldn't fault anyone from passing on that opportunity though!  

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Docket - My mouth is shut. 

Clay - Nice work.

DennyB - Welcome!  Don't worry about weight right now.  And how do you know it's fat and not muscle?  Also, when you exercise more and use more glycogen, your muscles will want to replenish and store more of it, which requires retaining more water weight with it.

Since I like to quantify everything, I count my daily calorie intake and burn.  So far this year....

424,654 calories consumed

129,483 calories burned via running

327,000 calories burned not running (assumes 1,900 calories per running day and 2,000 calories per non-running day)

----------------------------------------

-31,829 calories NET

According to this, I should have lost 9 pounds so far this year based on 3,500 calories per pound of fat.  I've lost only 1.5 pounds.  Go figure.

3/17 - NYC Half

Welcome and good luck!  Geez, I feel for you guys that live in hot areas.  I wouldn't worry about running slow.  None of us here are going to the Olympics any time soon (unless there is someone lurking that is!). 

I wonder if the reason you gained fat was because you were eating more.  I've found that it's pretty common for my weight to fluctuate up when I increase mileage and down when I decrease mileage.  This is probably due to the fact that when my mileage goes up, I'm much hungrier and tend to pig out.

Thanks!

No I wasn't really eating much more. I have a feeling it was stress in a lot of areas in my life that had my cortisol elevated 24/7. Then when I started running, my body basically wasn't having any more of it and rebelled.

My life isn't perfect now, but it's a whole lot less stressful, and I think MAF is going to help keep it that way.

DennyB - Welcome!  Don't worry about weight right now.  And how do you know it's fat and not muscle?  Also, when you exercise more and use more glycogen, your muscles will want to replenish and store more of it, which requires retaining more water weight with it.

Since I like to quantify everything, I count my daily calorie intake and burn.  So far this year....

424,654 calories consumed

327,000 calories burned not running (assumes 1,900 calories per running day and 2,000 calories per non-running day)

----------------------------------------

-31,829 calories NET

According to this, I should have lost 9 pounds so far this year based on 3,500 calories per pound of fat.  I've lost only 1.5 pounds.  Go figure.

I'm a bit of a data junkie too, so I can totally relate. There's security in numbers!

I wish the extra was muscle, but my bodyfat % went up with my weight, and my clothes were getting tighter.

I do log my food on My Fitness Pal, and it always cracks me up when I wrap up a day and it says how much I'd weigh in a month if I ate like this every day. Except that's what it said last month, and any progress I'm making is MUCH slower. Which is fine. Progress is progress.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I'm a bit of a data junkie too, so I can totally relate. There's security in numbers!

I wish the extra was muscle, but my bodyfat % went up with my weight, and my clothes were getting tighter.

I do log my food on My Fitness Pal, and it always cracks me up when I wrap up a day and it says how much I'd weigh in a month if I ate like this every day. Except that's what it said last month, and any progress I'm making is MUCH slower. Which is fine. Progress is progress.

I agree that progress is progress.  Typically, if I start running from zero, I will see weight gain for a while before I start to see weight loss.  The body does quite a few things as it starts to adapt to the stressors of running.  Also, don't worry about pace in this hot and humid weather... it's just the nature of the beast.  Keep at it and you'll be speedy when the cool fall weather hits. 

3/17 - NYC Half

Allan Olesen

Be careful not to count the same burned calories twice. For some reason, many running trackers (including my Garmin watch) will include the calories from the metabolic rate in the calories from the run.

Example:

My Garmin watch has set my metabolic rate to 2088 kcal/day, equal to 87 kcal/hour.

I do a 1 hour run as a logged activity in the watch, and the watch reports that I have burned 287 kcal during the activity.

When the day is over (and we assume that I have stayed inactive for the other 23 hours), the watch will report this:

Resting: 2088 kcal

Active 200 kcal

Total 2288 kcal

So the activity where I apparently burned 287 kcal, actually only added 200 kcal for that day.

Anyway, perhaps you have already countered this by lowering you metabolic rate from 2000 to 1900 on running days.