Low HR Training

My first MAF test (Read 351 times)

Happy

My MAF is 131 = 180-age (no adjustments made for anything) Temperature felt good -warm- probably 55F, no humidity to speak of, partly Cloudy, 4pm to 6 pm Warm up 3.14 miles = 38 min 54 sec MAF Test: 4 miles Mile 1: 10:54/mile, AVG HR 129 Mile 2: 10:56/mile, AVG HR 129 Mile 3: 11:15/mile, AVG HR 130 Mile 4: 11:12mile, AVG HR 130 Cool Down 4.20 miles Total run time: 2:21:06 Total miles 11.59 (this is according to my antique Garmin Forerunner 301), when I add the numbers above it doesn't exactly make 11.59, but whatever, I used to round up or down to half miles anyway before LHR training. Maximum HR today was 135 - I immediately slowed down whenever the HR snuck above 131 - my test "track" was a little tricky, while almost flat there were a few minor elevations and the declines - thus due to running so close to MAF I had quite a few alarms go off on me during the test. After the test I had more trouble with uphill running than during a normal easy run in terms of the HR becoming elevated very easily - I guess my entire aerobic system had been stressed during the test and was a little more sensitive toward the end of the run. All in all it was a good experience Smile I am running at a faster pace thatn I thought I would be. Maybe the pace slow as I move into MAF training, maybe not - we will just have to wait and see. It was in some ways a welcomed relief to be pushing the pace a little during my MAF test - I have become so used to running slowly and easily that my body is not used to the faster leg turnover. With Stu Mittleman in mind, I pictured myself as a Dinosaur running a tempo run - not a pretty sight, folks Big grin
    5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
      Looks good to me - I'd throw a party if a broke 12:00 these days. I'm sure when you do your second one (4-6 weeks) you will see a great improvement. A

Recalculating...

Happy

Thank you, A I am happy to have found a way to put new life into my running - I would love to see the progress you are talking about Smile I know one of the main keys to seeing progress with this style of running is to be diciplined and patient - the weather here is so cooperative most of the time that I enjoy myself very much while "working" out. I look forward to following your progress as well. I have seen your avitar in a few places on the forum but I still don't know you very well. Thanks again for your encouraging words!
        5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
          I like it. Pace is about the same as mine right now. 11" miles is a nice easy jog. I find that I run at about 9-10 then with the walking it drops my pace down to 11 or whatever. Very cool. Keep it up.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Happy

Thank you, Buddo Smile I ran for a little over and hour tonight on the treadmill (24 hours after yesterday's run); yesterday's run was not only intense - the test portion of it - but also long. I felt relatively beat tonight when I started warming up - still a bit stiff, sore, and heavy legged, not fully recovered from last night's run. Running past 2 hours in a single run is relatively long for me. When I get all of my January workouts entered into the log you can view it but for now, I can say, I am getting to a point where running 100-110 minutes every second day and 65-85 minutes on alternating days is not only possible but actually going quite well. I am building mileage. It is my goal to be able to run consistently 60-70 miles per week in my base building phase. I think it is going to be manageable with LHR trainining - it keeps me healthier while running high volume (I have been running 50-58 per week for the last 4 weeks now - it is kind of my max limit so far). Recently I read Tom Osler and Van Aaken and both inspired me tremendously. I see that you like Van Aaken as well. One of the things both gentlemen made me realize is that slow running with walk breaks not only is allowable it can even be very beneficial and desirable. Walk breaks can make it eaiser for the body to recover from long runs. Walk breaks also makes possible running further. Before I read their books I had not allowed myself to walk at all Embarrassed Neither had I understood how good running aerobically (for most of us it means slowing down) is for you and how it can directly enable one to run faster later, after having properly trained the aerobic system. Phil Maffetone and Stu Mittleman both have opened my eyes to understanding how I can take control of my own training by using a simple, inexpensive device, the HRmonitor. I don't need to rely on any self made or certified running coach to set up a program for me or a marathon training plan complete with times and paces I have to run on certain days. Now, I can take control and feel much more confident that I know if I am training at the right pace. This is so simple yet really wonderful.

Happy

Addition to MAF test: I didn't eat or drink anything during this run. I didn't eat anything for at least 3 hours prior to the run. I felt very good during the run and had a great appetite after the run. Food or drink didn't cross my mind during the run. During the run I was focused on monitoring the HR monitor Big grin and visualizing how my fat was literally melting away from my body. It was shocking afterwards to read on the Garmin how many (read FEW) calories I had burned. Maybe that explains why I still have any body mass left after running so many miles day after day Surprised Of course, the Garmin is quite the antique piece of equipment so there is no reason to believe it counts my calorie consumption correctly, is there???!!!! Those 57 calories burned during my first mile better have been 99% derived from body fat Wink Bon Appetit
                Flower, Good on you - 50 miles per week is not on my schedule for this year. I'm slowly working my way up to 40 mpw before some HMs in the fall. If it all goes well, I could imagine a couple of 50 weeks in 2010! I believe that the more miles put in is to your advantage. I hang around here, in the half marathon training and LLR forums. A PS After much procrastination, I cleaned (the left side) of my office and discovered my copy of Maffetone's "Training for Endurance" under a pile of dusty books. I wonder what's under all of the crap on the right side...

Recalculating...