Low HR Training

Running in the heat (Read 246 times)

Struck a late summer/early fall heatwave in Melbourne at the moment: Today: Currently 38.3C/101F Friday: 39/102.2 Saturday: 30/86 Sunday: 36/96.8 Monday: 36/96.8 Tuesday: 36/96.8 That's going to make the running fun! It's not even getting cool overnight to run early in the morning or anything like that. Oh well, guess it's just something to train through - you guys can run in negative temperatures, just don't think I'll be joining the 'more miles than degrees' club any time soon! Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

Shiksa

Hank, I'll soon be in the same boat. It will be highs in the 100's, low's in the 80's. By the time I get to run, it will be a "cool" 90 degrees. Fortunately, I love the heat, but I haven't ever done low HR training before so it will be an interesting experiment once our temps change. For me, it is all about shade. If I have shade, I feel cooler. If the sun dips down behind the mountains I feel cooler even if it is still 95 degrees. A nice big swimming pool helps too. We have access to a nice pool one town over.

Stacy
      I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

DaMacca

Hi Hank, Go for a run at midday and pretend that you are Chris Mccormack running in the Energy Lab in the Hawaii Ironman. Make the most of the warm weather - from what I've heard about the Melbourne weather, you will be running in rain and drizzle at 10 degrees C next week. Big grin Make sure you keep hydrated - have you ever used a Fuelbelt or similar product? You hardly notice them running, except the tropical strength one I have when the 6 bottles are full!
          Ah nice comment daMacca, if it means I can be anything like the other Macca, you might have just spurned me to get out there running before it cools down any! Yeah I use a 4 bottle fuel belt and love it, as you say you hardly notice it but it does make a difference and so handy. I actually don't mind the heat, prefer it to be too hot than too cold but this is a little extreme for this late in the summer. And yeah, everything you've heard about the Melbourne is weather probably true - but I can never say its cold again here as we never get below 0C let alone farenheit! Cheers

Just running for the fun of it!

DaMacca

Hank, It took Macca 4 goes at the Hawaii Ironman before he discovered the secrets of running well in Kona. I think he realised that you have to train in the heat to race well in it. I expect your heat wave will be history by the time you run the 14.1km on the 30th though. That's one good thing about Melbourne and Perth - it might get cold in winter, but never below zero. Now Canberra is another matter, however it didn't bother Deek. Speaking of Deek, I highly recommend his 1983 book "deCastella on Running" - you can pick it up off eBay for $10 or so. Even though it's old, the information in it is just as current as anything today. It's really interesting seeing what training the man did to run those great marathons. He used to do 16km runs in 1hr, and consider them 'massage" workouts. His long runs (approx. 35km in 2hrs) were done at an average HR of 120bpm. Given that he was 25 years old at the time, that would put him at MAF - 35 for those runs. No wonder he could smoke at AT HRs!
            BeeRunB

Very interesting about deCastella. Hank, wow. That kind of heat makes the HR go through the roof. I've been doing a lot of treadmill this winter in order to stay acclimated to mid 60's (F) temps. When I do run outside, I pile on the layers to heat up as much as possible. My goal marathon is in May, and the temps most likely will be mid 60's. Although the TM will be abandoned soon, as I have to make sure my downhill running muscles don't turn to mush. --Jimmy