Low HR Training

Now it sometims doesnt feel easy. Normal? (Read 448 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Hi there, hope you can help. Now I have reached the end of week 3 of my MAF training and I am able to go at a much better pace now to keep my hr at MAF. The thing is, in order to keep it at maf now it feels as though I am working a lot harder - I am going fast in order to get my HR up, but running faster makes me feel like I am working harder even though I am still at the same HR as when I started, when it felt so easy. Is this normal? I have just got back from a run and the first 2 miles were done below MAF in under 15 minutes, compared to the same route first 2 miles weeks ago when I did them in 17:39. I am at the same hr but my breathing is more pronounced. How is this so if I am still at the same HR? I thought this would mean I am working just the same as I was 3 weeks ago? As I am getting faster at this HR, does this not mean that I should start cranking up my HR by say 5 beats and train at this new pace? or should I stick at 157 as my MAF for longer?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

run-easy-race-hard

It sounds as if you're making very fast progress, which means that you had pretty good aerobic conditioning to start. What you're describing is exactly what's supposed to happen - I've just never seen it happen so quickly. Eventually, it becomes labored to keep the heart rate up at MAF. That's ok. And there's nothing wrong with doing a good percentage of your runs at much less than MAF. I probably do about 50% of my mileage at 20-25 beats below MAF heart rate. It does feel harder because you've got faster turnover, but the difference is that you are using a higher percentage of fat for fuel and lactic acid is accumulating at a much slower rate. These equate to being able to hold a pace for much, much longer.

Slow-smooth-fast

That has answered my question, I thank you. I think I will try my runs next week at less than MAF, and build up angain from there. Its ironic, just after posting this question, Maffetones nook arrived in the post, so I have read it already. He advocates, changing the HR target nearly every run just as long as it is below MAF.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Prophet!

this happens to me also where breathing becomes more laborious at increased pace at the same HR. Do a lot of you experience the same thing ? This makes me wonder about the perceived effort run because if i go by the breathing test, i would run at a much lower HR and probably never know that i can run at higher pace at relatively low HR.

run-easy-race-hard

yup - that's one reason perceived effort is on my list of things I don't believe in! (not to say that some people don't do very well with perceived effort)

Prophet!

any scientific or physiological stab at why this happens ? Something to do with us using an inefficient fat fuel-line ? Does HR and perceived effort ever come together as you become more efficient in using fat as fuel ?

run-easy-race-hard

any scientific or physiological stab at why this happens ? Something to do with us using an inefficient fat fuel-line ? Does HR and perceived effort ever come together as you become more efficient in using fat as fuel ?
                Maffetone talks something about it in his book, but I don't really think it has anything to do with fat burning. I think PE does start to become effective once you have developed fat-burn efficiency.

Slow-smooth-fast

I have become more efficient with my breathing as I am working harder by using mathetones techniques- breathing from the diaphram. Envisage every breath you take there is a ball inflating at your abdomen, push out your gut and then as you breath out envisage it deflating. It really works and stops you from breathing entirely from your upper chest.