Low HR Training

VO2 Max Test (Read 297 times)

Well, my pulmonologist was able to schedule me for a Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test, aka VO2 Max test. I took the test today, and while I was told that it looked good, I didn't get a full explanation of the values. I'll get them in two weeks when I see my doc. But, the tech did tell me that my Anaerobic Thershold was 111 BPM. Can that be right? Could it be that it's 111 + my HRR of 56? God I hope so, because if it's really 111, I'm going anaerobic walking up a good hill. Has anyone here had the test? If so, do you have any input on this, or resouces for explanations. I can tell you that it appears they used the UCLA method of gathering the data. At least that's what the monitor showed.

run-easy-race-hard

Well, my pulmonologist was able to schedule me for a Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test, aka VO2 Max test. I took the test today, and while I was told that it looked good, I didn't get a full explanation of the values. I'll get them in two weeks when I see my doc. But, the tech did tell me that my Anaerobic Thershold was 111 BPM. Can that be right? Could it be that it's 111 + my HRR of 56? God I hope so, because if it's really 111, I'm going anaerobic walking up a good hill. Has anyone here had the test? If so, do you have any input on this, or resouces for explanations. I can tell you that it appears they used the UCLA method of gathering the data. At least that's what the monitor showed.
      111 certainly sounds ridiculously low and I've never heard of subtracting RHR to get it. It even sounds especially low for an aerobic threshold, which should be roughly MAF, and far less than anaerobic threshold. Here are some quantities you should ask for: 1. The profile of RQ (aka RER or R) for each increment of the test. 2. Heart rate at an RQ of .78 3. Heart rate at an RQ of .85 4. Heart rate where RQ just reaches 1 (this should be the anaerobic threshold). 5. Heart rate at vo2max (assuming you ever reached it - it's possible that you didn't) 6. max heart rate
        111 certainly sounds ridiculously low and I've never heard of subtracting RHR to get it. It even sounds especially low for an aerobic threshold, which should be roughly MAF, and far less than anaerobic threshold. Here are some quantities you should ask for: 1. The profile of RQ (aka RER or R) for each increment of the test. 2. Heart rate at an RQ of .78 3. Heart rate at an RQ of .85 4. Heart rate where RQ just reaches 1 (this should be the anaerobic threshold). 5. Heart rate at vo2max (assuming you ever reached it - it's possible that you didn't) 6. max heart rate
        Thanks Jesse, I thought that sounds REALLY low also. I should be able to get a copy of the data tomorrow, and I'll post what I can find. I do know that I did reach my VO2Max, which was 2.7 liters. Not too great, but not couch potato range either. The doc was there, and didn't seem too alarmed about anything, so I don't think my AT could really be that low without throwing some sort of flag. In fact, he said that I did better than most of the people that go through the lab. However, after the doc left, the tech did admit that they don't see many athletes. The ususally get the asthmatics, COPD, etc. patients. So, there may be a bit of a "curve" for the interpretation. Thanks again!

run-easy-race-hard

Ok, let's see what they say. It's hard to interpret an absolute value for vo2max as it's normally normalized by mass and specified as a rate with respect to time. It doesn't really matter much anyway except as an interesting factoid and vague predictor of performance.
            Hers's a great article about VO2 max. http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/VO2max.html "VO2 Max as a Predictor of Performance In elite athletes, VO2 max is not a good predictor of performance. The winner of a marathon race for example, cannot be predicted from maximal oxygen uptake (15). Perhaps more significant than VO2 max is the speed at which an athlete can run, bike or swim at VO2 max. Two athletes may have the same level of aerobic power but one may reach their VO2 max at a running speed of 20 km/hr and the other at 22 km/hr. While a high VO2 max may be a prerequisite for performance in endurance events at the highest level, other markers such as lactate threshold are more predictive of performance (3). Again, the speed at lactate threshold is more significant than the actual value itself. Think of VO2 max as an athlete’s aerobic potential and the lactate threshold as the marker for how much of that potential they are tapping. "