Low HR Training

"Heart TIme" running experiment (Read 1001 times)

Shondek

How does this post relate to my heart time article?

And congrats on the sub13 split! Love those little steps forward. Cool

--JImmy

I just posted up my long run figures and hoped they would convey your theory ,that's all,its your theory not mine...

BeeRunB

I just posted up my long run figures and hoped they would convey your theory ,that's all,its your theory not mine...

Okay. I get you! Cool

Excuse any confusion. I just came back from California, and when I come back from there I am usually spaced-out, coffeed-out, and in la-la-la-land.

I look at your numbers and it doesn't look like you had a major drop off in pace at the same HR from mile 3-7 (about 1:08:15 in duration, 1:36:47 with warm-up miles).  Although, the walking might have affected the presence of one. I haven't walked in any of my heart time runs (I'm one of those freaks who can run at a 17:30 pace if need be). Thanks, Shondek --Jimmy

I had an interesting Maf session on the treadmill yesterday 30 mins to maf -20 .a few weeks ago i was jogging at maf 13min 38pace .This time it was varying from 12 50 to 320...except if I wanted to keep it at maf and under I had to walk at this pace.I kept it at maf for 45 minutes.Stopped at that point so not sure when it would rise but my conclusion is that anything on the treadmill at the moment is walking 13 15 pace isnt fast enough for running and keeping it under maf while walking is.

This mornings run was my best run so far Garmins server is down so I'm just typing my times real time as I look at the .This is a 2 hour run at 350am my body clock is still in summer time.Waliking 1st and last 15 mins.Maf 124

Mile 1.......15:19..............95 bpm

Mile 2.......13:09........... 112

Mile 3........13:23.......... 120

Mile 4........13:20.......... 119

Mile 5........12:50...........121.....MY FIRST EVER SUB 13  @ 121!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mile 6........13:26...........118

Mile 7........13:16...........118

Mile 8........13:58...........113

0.71m........11:25............99..walking

Glad it wasnt a 20 !!

Hope this helps

Shondek

Okay. I get you! Cool

Excuse any confusion. I just came back from California, and when I come back from there I am usually spaced-out, coffeed-out, and in la-la-la-land.

I look at your numbers and it doesn't look like you had a major drop off in pace at the same HR from mile 3-7 (about 1:08:15 in duration, 1:36:47 with warm-up miles).  Although, the walking might have affected the presence of one. I haven't walked in any of my heart time runs (I'm one of those freaks who can run at a 17:30 pace if need be). Thanks, Shondek --Jimmy

Never been in California Jimmy but I've seen Annie Hall and I still have a lot of time for Paul Simon ,great Artist..I could run at 17:30 pace but walking at that pace would give me a lower heart rate..............show off!!

Hi Sean I wonder if you could clarify the above for me does this mean you are doing anaerobic runs all the time at present with no aerobic runs?

Many thanks

Leo

Hi Leo, No I'm still doing about half my workouts at Maf. The anaerobic ones, intervals, tempo stuff, have a minimum of 50% easy Maf also. I find any more than this is too much for me.

I theorized that this point in the run is when the body has reached its limit for the workout, after which I would be doing more harm than good. The training effect would be diminished. I believe this point in the run to be a reflection of exhausted fibers. Dehydration plays a part in heart rate drift (your HR rising at the same pace over time), but that is reflected in the normal rate of drift. At this point in the run, the heart rate is reflecting an increased stress in the body. I have not ruled out that this point might also reflect the engagement of fast twitch fibers as the slow twitchers become fully exhausted.

(...) 

I did have the thought that it could be the anaerobic system kicking in, mirroring that steep rise you see in an RQ test after the MAF point.

my guess would be that your first explanation is the correct one; as long as you hold the same HR, basically the same fibers are getting a workout... but they are getting increasingly fatigued, which means that with the same amount of oxygen and energy they can produce less work/output. and I guess, at a point they get so fatigued that you notice it subjectively too ("armadillo" effect). no anaerobic fibers, it's still the same aerobic fibers but pretty exhausted.

also, over time, with endurance training, they'd get more fatigue resistant and that's why the HR drift would come later...

anyway this is just my take on this based on some things I heard/was told.

rarian

Some fascinating stuff in this thread.

A couple of years ago I did nine months almost daily at about MAF on treadmill and at constant speed.  Durations were from 40 minutes to 120 minutes.  I always saw stepped changes in my heart-rate additional to drift.

The first was when I started sweating at about 10 minutes, the second at about 40 minutes and another at about 80 minutes.