Low HR Training

Garmin 305 HRM Hell (Read 867 times)

About a week ago my HRM stopped working.  I changed the battery and still no signal.  I made sure the software and firmware was up to date.  I tried positioning the strap so the I was wearing it on my back instead of my front.  I also cleaned it really well.  I used water, then aloe gel, still no dice.  I soft-booted it and then I hard-booted it, bringing it back to factory settings. I read that there's a gold contact that touches the top of the battery in the battery compartment and I bent that out slightly to make sure the battery was seated correctly.

Now I'm just pissed and frustrated and redundant in the way I describe my emotions.

Any suggestions on getting this damn thing to pick up a signal?

Runner and writer with a pesky day job. http://memoirsandhalftruths.wordpress.com/ "Don't ask yourself what the world needs - ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -- H. T.Whitman

I think you have tried this already, but just in case,

did you do a rescan and also disable/enable the HRM from the 305?

BeeRunB

rescan by going to setting/ GENERAL / accessories / heart rate monitor

click rescan

--Jimmy

posted: 4/7/2010 at 9:40 PM

Re:  rescan and also disable/enable the HRM from the 305?

Thanks, I did this.

I've done the rescan too after disabling and re-enabling.  I've rescanned a bunch.  

Runner and writer with a pesky day job. http://memoirsandhalftruths.wordpress.com/ "Don't ask yourself what the world needs - ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -- H. T.Whitman
          BeeRunB

There is a possibility that your transmitter is kaput. I remember Jesse (who logged tons of time) going through a few of those. If the battery is good, properly connected, and your watch is intact and working, and isn't picking the transmitter up. It's probably the case. 35.00 on Amazon. I'm not sure about repair and warranty. If the new strap doesn;t work, you know it's the watch. At least you'll have a backup strap.

--Jimmy

Yip, sounds like it,

mine stopped working completly, I tried everything,

eventually I bought the new soft strap version (which is a lot nicer IMHO) and that worked immediately (well, after a rescan)

There is a possibility that your transmitter is kaput. I remember Jesse (who logged tons of time) going through a few of those. If the battery is good, properly connected, and your watch is intact and working, and isn't picking the transmitter up. 

gregw

Garmin's reliability is not their strong suit.  They're customer service is good though -- after you get through to a human.  They replaced my 305 (wouldn't turn on) even though it was a couple of weeks past the 1 year warranty.  I would call.  I emailed and explained my situation, but after no response for two days I called and they gave me an RMA for a free replacement.  The next day I finally got an answer to my email and they said they'd replace it for $99.95.  Glad I called!

When mine dies again, I'm thinking about trying to let go of distance and just use time and HR with my Suunto T6.

I went out at lunch and bought a new heart rate strap thingy, the soft one.  My garmin picked it up right away as soon as I turned it on.  Went out for about 1.5 miles barefoot to see how that would feel and it felt pretty good.  It's warming up here in Colorado and I'm loving it.  Thanks everyone.

Hawt and sexy

I think I need a new HRM.  Batteries are lasting all of 2 days in the thing.  sigh. My polar is 4 years old, no bells and whistles, but still works great. The Garmin?  One year this month. Ugh.

I'm touching your pants.

Beginner all over again

My 305 is at and/or passing the 1-year mark.

I hope it lasts another month or more !

Mine is 3.5 years old and this was my first problem!  
                        Anne47

Tallchick, I wonder if you'd mind telling us how the new soft strap is working out for you. I bought my Garmin watch and strap secondhand and I'm finding the strap to be too big. I twist it to try to make it fit but it usually slips down regardless. It's very uncomfortable as the hard bits poke into my skin. I would gladly buy the soft strap if it was more comfortable and worked well.

I also have the soft strap and I find its a lot more comfortable.

The old one used to give me spots/rash  where it rubbed against me.

Tallchick, I wonder if you'd mind telling us how the new soft strap is working out for you. I bought my Garmin watch and strap secondhand and I'm finding the strap to be too big. I twist it to try to make it fit but it usually slips down regardless. It's very uncomfortable as the hard bits poke into my skin. I would gladly buy the soft strap if it was more comfortable and worked well.

rescan by going to setting/ GENERAL / accessories / heart rate monitor

click rescan

--Jimmy

yo! Thank you! You just saved me from buying a new strap. I was really frustrated after having bought new batteries twice without it working to restart the hr monitor function. This did the trick. Thanks!!

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I also have the soft strap and I find its a lot more comfortable.

The old one used to give me spots/rash  where it rubbed against me.

A know this sounds strange but the strap only bothers me if I have the short (not adjustable side) side on the left part of my chest. Try flipping the strap/

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/