Low HR Training

testing my progress (Read 301 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I am going into week six now of my MAF training and I am really longing to see how my work translates over a 5 or10k. Do I have to wait until I have finished the MAF training to test this? I am really eager to do some faster training. When should I introduce speed work and hills etc?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

run-easy-race-hard

Generally I would just say, "be patient," but given how consistent your progress has been, I don't think you'll do any damage. While I doubt that in this short of a time you'll see any major race time improvements, it would be interesting nonetheless to see some of the effects.

Slow-smooth-fast

I think I will just wait then. How long do you think I should stick with it? I do think however that there will be an improvement. That goes without saying as I now can run a lot faster at MAF so higher HR's would be quicker right?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

run-easy-race-hard

Indeed the higher heart rates will be faster. I don't know - I think it's reasonable to test things with a short race.
            Hi Eddy, In my opinion a race would be fine to test things...gotta have fun right? The mistake many people make is once they see Maff pace improvement, they do a race, see a time improvement, and then keep racing and abandon the Maff training. Next thing they know they're right back where they started and are frustrated again by lack of improvement. I think of Maff training like a diet. Crash diets to lose 20 lbs don't work, and short stints of Maff training don't work. They both have to be treated as a philosophical lifestyle (training) change in order to be really effective. Just one opinion. Best of luck in that race, can't wait to hear how it goes! AH
            www.mnultrarunner.blogspot.com

Slow-smooth-fast

right, I know what I am going to do. I am going to get the christmas pounds off, and stick with the MAF training, and perhaps do a race in feb/March.