Low HR Training

So .... what exactly are You running these days for workouts ? ? ? (Read 1023 times)

C-R

Frances - I get your thought. Let me share something about BQ's. They hurt. 5ks, 10ks, and HMs hurt too. The idea is to learn how to deal with the "pain" and discomfort and push through. You only get this through experience and racing short, medium and long.

If I really understand you want to maximize your performance for the marathon and not for the others. That makes sense and does not require the training for the shorter races. However, as mentioned before, as you get stronger, your shorter race times will drop.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Beginner all over again

Thank you CR

Thank you everybody !!

This topic has taken a turn from its original topic though.

I was really curious about what you other LHR train'ers were training during the weeks, and why.

I am runnning my runs at MAF-15 to MAF -5.  I have doubts about LHT, but will plod away at it. 

I haven't measured distance in a while....just time.  Ran 35 minutes this am. Avg Hr 127. Max was 144 (high) and I slowed down after that.

what doubts do you have about LHR training?

Good question and good point.

Well, I would like to BQ in  a few years, probably four years???

That's really my only goal.

I don't want to run any Fast 5K's other than BQ pace.

I don't ever want to run faster than BQ pace or necessary training for that.

Assumed goal is always to run without injury, and I suppose I'll have to "get faster" in order to eventually BQ of course.  I've never run longer than 2:30 before.

I don't want to "run a marathon" just do it it.

I could probably clock a sub-six-hour marathon with six months of training, but I'd rather stick with the HM distance until I get closer to BQ pace at HM, and then extend my training and LongRuns to train for a full.

Thank you for mentioning this.

Yes, I will certaining consider others's goals as they post their training schedules.

I'd like to do a HM every three months,  even if it's not fast, but I'm willing to go Above MAF once every three months.

again, some of our goals seem quite similar. I don't care about 10K and HM times so much beyond them contributing for the marathon pace.

one difference here is, I do want to race 5K fast. sometime in the future, at some point. I just like the idea and also I just feel the distance I'm most suited for genetically is the middle distances. I think so because I'm a relatively crappy sprinter at 100m but I would always beat people in school at longer distances than sprint distance, i.e. middle distances (nothing long distance). at the same time my long distance aerobic performance is crap by default so at long distances I would have easily been beaten by other people (we didn't have any such longer races in school but someone I always beat at middle distance went for a long race and her time seemed unbelievable to me!). the aerobic ability can of course be trained, thank god!

so uh, what sucks in my case is that mentally I'm born for long distances, very long distances. and the way my body handles long workouts (i.e. very easily, I don't need much food, I don't have any GI problems, in general I just hold up relatively well, etc., and I don't get bored, I love it all) also points me toward long distances. but my legs are not born for long distances. I don't have too much of slow twitchers, I probably have more of the red fast twitchers. :P so I'll have to work really hard to get good at this (this is where LHR training becomes so relevant for me). so I feel for you and the hard work you will need to to achieve your big goal. I have similarly hard goals.

as for doing the HM, I think that shouldn't hurt your base building. I'm still not a great believer of 100% pure base phase, to be honest. I do believe that you got to put in a lot of miles at low HR, but a faster run here or there will not hurt the base. (my opinion is subject to change, of course.) mittleman (whose book you read) also says that if you adhere to 85% of the training plan then that's pretty good already :P I'd go for above 90%, though. so don't take this advice as recommendation to do heavily anaerobic workouts weekly.

Well, every marathon plan that I've come across in my search for a plan that I believe would fit my needs best has LOTS of speed work involved in it. The first 1/4 to 1/3 of most plans is the base phase, then you get into the speed phase, endurance phase, taper and race.

that's all very cool about a lot of speed work, but my problem with it is that the speed work may not train you to be able to hold the pace for a longer distance. I'm not sure if I see this correctly but it seems logical to me. my guess is that it will train your pace to generally become better which of course makes your marathon better but it will not train your ability to hold the pace - what would train your ability to do that would be miles well below and right below your LT but not at or above LT. the MAF training fits in this very well too. and I suppose the long runs also do that too.

so anyway my feeling (I may be wrong) is that these marathon plans may not include a long enough base phase for many people who lack a lot of the aerobic base and I believe most runners are in that category. then you'll go and die at 20miles into the marathon... of course there is always a pace that will not make you die there but it would be a lot slower pace than your HM pace and most people won't realize that.

C-R

The majority of marathon plans "assume" you have a decent base of six months prior to trying or applying them. 90% of runners do not and so end up disappointed, hurt or both.

As for speedwork, it is designed to get your body used to higher leg turnover. Tempos are designed to expand the potential of faster running over distance. Combine the two and you get faster racing. None of it will work unless you have proper strength gained from lots of miles and hill work.

IMHO.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Beginner all over again

from lots of miles and hill work.

All these training methods are making me think of going back to Couch Potato-ville !

haha

I'm jogging slow...and it's enough workout for me already !!

~wink~

Ran_On_Empty

Frances--

I like your thinking.  I was there once as well.  Thought process was to run at nice pace and do it regularly.  Eventually you will get faster at that nice pace feeling and run longer.  Some want to get results sooner than others.  I switched to results sooner and had a painful marathon.  I really don't want to do 10K or other either. 

Just run.

If your time horizon is in yrs your technique is golden.  Just run a little bit longer each wk.  It is a great plan.  I would measure time on running than distance.  What I am focusing on is frequency.  Trying to run six days a wk.  Later I will try to run more.  I need to think in terms of yrs,  like you. 

Keep your miles happy!

The majority of marathon plans "assume" you have a decent base of six months prior to trying or applying them. 90% of runners do not and so end up disappointed, hurt or both.

As for speedwork, it is designed to get your body used to higher leg turnover. Tempos are designed to expand the potential of faster running over distance. Combine the two and you get faster racing. None of it will work unless you have proper strength gained from lots of miles and hill work.

IMHO.

ok then there's the problem, 90% of runners don't realize this assumption :P

as far as I understand currently, speedwork is good for getting your paces lower in every HR zone but it will not make the difference between paces for various distances smaller i.e. not going to improve your aerobic conditioning so well... so you can't hold the great pace for long. however, what you can hold is a better (than previous) pace due to speedwork. and yeah I guess tempos help with that a bit (holding it).

so, sure, speedwork has its own benefits, and I agree with you that a base of lots of miles is needed first... ah, hill work is great! Big grin

Frances--

I like your thinking.  I was there once as well.  Thought process was to run at nice pace and do it regularly.  Eventually you will get faster at that nice pace feeling and run longer.  Some want to get results sooner than others.  I switched to results sooner and had a painful marathon.  I really don't want to do 10K or other either. 

Just run.

If your time horizon is in yrs your technique is golden.  Just run a little bit longer each wk.  It is a great plan.  I would measure time on running than distance.  What I am focusing on is frequency.  Trying to run six days a wk.  Later I will try to run more.  I need to think in terms of yrs,  like you. 

Keep your miles happy!

whatever feels nice pace to you..... for me it was at a HR over 185bpm... wasn't good long term

but yeah, years to get there...!

jdazzle

Frances -

Back to your original question, what are some of doing for training these days.

Base (MAF) schedule (hit it around 80% of the time)

Monday - rest

Tuesday - 3 mile run (35 min), 1800 yd swim (70 min)

Wednesday - 1 hour bike (distance depends on whether I am on a trainer or not)

Thursday - 5 mile run (1hr), 1800yd swim (70 min)

Friday - 1 hour bike

Saturday - 6 mile run (1hr 15 min)

Sunday - 1hr 30min bike, 1800 yd swim (70 min)

Anaerobic schedule is the same as the base, just subbing speedwork/race for 3 mile day.

Goals:  2-3 sprint tri's this summer, two half marathons this fall, maybe one more sprint tri as well.

Quick thought on shorter races in prep for longer races:  I am trying to hit a sub 2 hour half marathon, which would put me at 9:09 min/mile.  I'm running 5k's currently at an 8:40 min/mile pace.  I think that running at this pace (and faster) for shorter races will make my half marathon pace seem easier, or so I hope....

Beginner all over again

LHR Training since April 10, 2010

(...with the excepting of racing my first HM May 2010...)

Thanks, Everyone, for sharing your workout plans with me.

I enjoyed reading them and it helped to see what others are doing.

I still only run 3 days a week, coming off my year of Galloway Jog/Walk intro to Running.

I'm at the point where I am trying to decide whether to XT Bicycle twice a week

or whether to add in that 4th running day (walking only at first, then very mild jog segments, Gradual..)

My holding pattern that I just reached is

WU :15 minutes  HR 95, 105, 115

CD : 15 minutes, slow walking

---PLUS--

150 minutes

90 minutes

60 minutes

And I do

:05 minutes of HR 120

:05 minutes of HR 125

:05 minutes of HR 130

and

then the remainder of the Jog/Walk at HR MAF 133

I'm going to keep my Holding Pattern for One Month, and then decide what to "add in" next.

My Long-Term goal is to build aerobic base so that I can run a Full Marathon and towards a BQ.

But in the meantime, I'm running Five HM's in 12 months, about one every three months, the First and Fifth being the same race a year apart.

The 3 HM in the middle can just be "Long Runs" training Runs.  I have no time goal for those.