Low HR Training

MAF test today (Read 1090 times)

Have been trying to do a proper MAF test. Made another attempt today, but probably should have done it on Saturday when I have rested well on Friday. Anyway here it is: warm up 0.6 mile Temperature around 50F, minor wind. MAF 150 Mile 1 14:00 AHR 151 Mile 2 15:00 AHR 151 Mile 3 15:07 AHR 151 Mile 4 14:29 AHR 151 Feel loosen up a little more in the last mile, so ran faster than the previous two miles, maybe next time I should do longer warm up. Time is always an issue doing this test.

Happy

Denali, Thank you for sharing your MAF test results with us. I am new to this so I am very curious - learning from everything I see right now. You noticed that you felt more loose on the 4th mile of your test. If you read some of the recent threads and posts about warming up prior to the MAF test you will notice that it is common for this to happen. (Read Shiksa's post about her success with MAF training after having started to carefully warm up on all of her runs.) Warming up should be done gradually starting at a very low HR - much below your MAF. Since people run at different paces it doesn't makes sense to say warm up for 3 miles, rather it should be measured in time. Jimmyb wrote a detailed suggestion for how to properly warm up before a MAF test in a thread I started about my MAF test recently - go back and read it, I think you will be surprised how much better a grip you will get on your MAF test after that. I think you are doing the right thing by performing the test eventhough you are not quite sure how to. Getting your feet wet is the fastest way to learn. It looks like you were very good at hitting a consistent HR AVG for the test - WOW! I think you may have an intuition for feeling your pace; that's going to set you up for success in longer distance races.
      5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
        flower, Thanks for being so kind! I think there are a few things that I can do better in my next MAF test. 1. have enough rest before the test. I recall that I read somewhere in the sticky threads in this forum that you need to treat a MAF test like a race. So I guess no hard work-out one or two days before the test. 2. properly warm up. Like you said, I should gradually accelerate. I usually got my heart rate increased to close to MAF within less than 1 minutes during my runs. Obviously that was a mistake. Properly warm up, then do how ever many miles as time permit, if I can only squeeze 3 miles in, so be it. 3. try not to exceed the MAF, my AHR in last MAF test was MAF+1. I just felt too slow and had to speed up a little bit Embarrassed.

Happy

Oh-Ouh - very embarassing!! Wink Where is the sticky that says to treat the MAF test like a race - can anyone help? I would like to read that. I basically ended up doing my first MAF test as part of a long run - I thought it worked well for me because I had taken the day before the test completely off so I was well rested. LOOOONG WU, MAF test, LOOOOOOOOOOONG Easy COOL DOWN = Long run.
          5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
          BeeRunB

Have been trying to do a proper MAF test. Made another attempt today, but probably should have done it on Saturday when I have rested well on Friday. Anyway here it is: warm up 0.6 mile Temperature around 50F, minor wind. MAF 150 Mile 1 14:00 AHR 151 Mile 2 15:00 AHR 151 Mile 3 15:07 AHR 151 Mile 4 14:29 AHR 151 Feel loosen up a little more in the last mile, so ran faster than the previous two miles, maybe next time I should do longer warm up. Time is always an issue doing this test.
            Maffetone suggests at least a 15-minute warm-up to MAF-10. I do twenty minutes. Then I take a few minutes to get my HR up to the MAF. A test properly done should get slower with each mile, not faster. Although, your test was going fine, maybe the 14:29 is attributable to something else, like an un-noticable tailwind. Keep going! --Jimmy
              I just have that as a vague impression, maybe a wrong impression. Anyway, maybe it is just to save fresh legs to get good MAF test results, or to maintain similar condition for all your tests.
              Oh-Ouh - very embarassing!! Wink Where is the sticky that says to treat the MAF test like a race - can anyone help? I would like to read that. I basically ended up doing my first MAF test as part of a long run - I thought it worked well for me because I had taken the day before the test completely off so I was well rested. LOOOONG WU, MAF test, LOOOOOOOOOOONG Easy COOL DOWN = Long run.
                New MAF test today. MAF test first and then some to make it a long run too. Warm up 1.1 mile, 13:31 Mile 1 12:08 AHR MAF MHR MAF+7 Mile 2 12:27 AHR MAF MHR MAF+8 Mile 3 12:38 AHR MAF+1 MHR MAF+9 Mile 4 12:38 AHR MAF+1 MHR MAF+7 Mile 5 12:42 AHR MAF+1 MHR MAF+8 Added 2.56 miles after to make it a long run. Overall 8.66 mile, 1:50:07, pace 12:43, Average: 150 / Max: 159 Not ideal weather, a little cold, a little windy. 57F, humidity 49%, wind NNE 7mph. This run concludes my sixth week of MAF training.
                  The last MAF test before today's MAF test was on March 15, 2009.

My best races in 2009 were a 51'22 10K on 06/06/2009 and a 23'59 5K on 05/03/2009.  I haven't been keeping up with my running the second half of 2009, logged almost nothing.

In 2010 I have been running minimum mileage, averaging less than 10MPW until recent few weeks.

So while following a build-up plan, I did a MAF test while running a 1 hour easy run prescribed by the plan.  Just to see where I am.

Warm up .5 mile.  Probably should have done more warm up, like 1-1.5 mile but oh well.

MAF test 08/21/2010, 7:10 am
                  77F.  After first mile, sun was out of morning cloud, feel much hotter

Mile 1 - 11:52
                  Mile 2 - 12:39
                  Mile 3 - 13:26
                  Mile 4 - 14:06

MAF test 03/15/2009, 7:58 am
                  43F.  Overcast, rained during mile 3, and mile 4, somehow made it easier to maintain the pace

Mile 1 -11:27
                  Mile 2 - 11:53
                  Mile 3 - 11:59
                  Mile 4 - 11:59

Comparing the first mile, taking into account the temperature difference, I am not much slower.  But the pace dropped much faster in the next few miles, I think partly due to the temperature, and my aerobic fitness is simply not as good.
                    The last MAF test before today's MAF test was on March 15, 2009.

My best races in 2009 were a 51'22 10K on 06/06/2009 and a 23'59 5K on 05/03/2009.  I haven't been keeping up with my running the second half of 2009, logged almost nothing.

In 2010 I have been running minimum mileage, averaging less than 10MPW until recent few weeks.

So while following a build-up plan, I did a MAF test while running a 1 hour easy run prescribed by the plan.  Just to see where I am.

Warm up .5 mile.  Probably should have done more warm up, like 1-1.5 mile but oh well.

MAF test 08/21/2009, 7:10 am
                    77F.  After first mile, sun was out of morning cloud, feel much hotter

Mile 1 - 11:52
                    Mile 2 - 12:39
                    Mile 3 - 13:26
                    Mile 4 - 14:06

MAF test 03/15/2009, 7:58 am
                    43F.  Overcast, rained during mile 3, and mile 4, somehow made it easier to maintain the pace

Mile 1 -11:27
                    Mile 2 - 11:53
                    Mile 3 - 11:59
                    Mile 4 - 11:59

Comparing the first mile, taking into account the temperature difference, I am not much slower.  But the pace dropped much faster in the next few miles, I think partly due to the temperature, and my aerobic fitness is simply not as good.

you really mean 08/21/2010, don't you?

btw, interesting you were able to do a 51:22 10K on 11:27 MAF 1st mile, with 11:27 I would do faster 10K, clearly either you have less imbalance between systems than me, or you didn't warm up too long.

the pace dropping stuff, with training it will fix itself pretty soon. I don't think your fitness is totally gone, just needs to "remember" lower HR intensity.

you really mean 08/21/2010, don't you?

btw, interesting you were able to do a 51:22 10K on 11:27 MAF 1st mile, with 11:27 I would do faster 10K, clearly either you have less imbalance between systems than me, or you didn't warm up too long.

the pace dropping stuff, with training it will fix itself pretty soon. I don't think your fitness is totally gone, just needs to "remember" lower HR intensity.

You are right, I corrected the typo.  With my 23'59 5K in 2009, my 10K should have been about 50'.  But I had not done much  tempo run or LT interval at that time, had done mostly 400m VOMax type intervals.

I will be working on my 10K now mostly.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

You are right, I corrected the typo.  With my 23'59 5K in 2009, my 10K should have been about 50'.  But I had not done much  tempo run or LT interval at that time, had done mostly 400m VOMax type intervals.

I will be working on my 10K now mostly.

The  RA predictor has you at 50:43 for a 10k. 8:11 pace. You ran  51:22 at 8:18. 39 sec off pace. Great job for some one doing 10 miles a week.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

The  RA predictor has you at 50:43 for a 10k. 8:11 pace. You ran  51:22 at 8:18. 39 sec off pace. Great job for some one doing 10 miles a week.

When I ran 51:22 10K in 2009, I was running 20-30MPW for a few months though.  Will run a 10K in this October, by then I will know for sure where I am.

C-R

When I ran 51:22 10K in 2009, I was running 20-30MPW for a few months though.  Will run a 10K in this October, by then I will know for sure where I am .

That's still pretty darn good for such mileage. You should be encouraged.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

That's still pretty darn good for such mileage. You should be encouraged.

If I can keep 30 MPW up for a year, I will be proud of myself .  If I can do that, I probably won't stop at 30MPW.

If I can keep 30 MPW up for a year, I will be proud of myself .  If I can do that, I probably won't stop at 30MPW.

what does that depend on? not enough motivation to go out?