Low HR Training

Humbled, but Enthusiastic, "MAF Walker" (Read 21 times)

Hilltopper72

Hilltopper

1. Ok so my history with running is that I signed up for a 10k about 5 years go.  I am now 44.  I loved it even though I redlined the entire time and couldn't walk for a week.  I did a couple other races, signed up for 3 half marathons but couldn't complete the training and had to drop out of all.  My wife is an ultra-marathoner, and my kids are talented track and cross country runners so for the life of me I am gonna figure this out!

2. I have tried to train repeatedly and always got hurt or frustrated and dropped out.  I threw in the towel and started to do P90X and got hurt many times doing that too, soooooo, I stumbled onto the MAF Method, digested and researched it all and began about a month ago.

3. I started off with the macho approach and rather than taking my medicine and sticking to the 135 bpm, I did 145, dropped it off to 140, but still felt fatigued, tired sore legs, and lower back problems.  So today was truly my first "real" MAF workout, so I am considering the rest gravy!  I feel nothing after at all, almost like I didn't even workout.

4. I am literally a walker.  It is hard to admit that even to strangers, but so be it.  I am at a 16/min MAF mile at the moment.  Truth is I've never had a base in my entire life.  I was a basketball player at 6'2 and beat up my knees and body and back for years before I gave that up.  At 197 lbs, I do plan on dropping 10-15 which has already started.  My body fat is clearly coming off which is fantastic, but I must be gaining muscle in my legs because despite the physical transformation I'm really only down about 5 lbs since I began.

5. My workout schedule is two days on and one day off on the treadmill.   I actually put the incline around 5 degrees and walk at 3.5 mph.  Even if I run flat at 3.5 mph my heart rate still spikes over 135.  There is something about the action of running that makes my heart rate spike so easily, even though I can go 90 mins straight walking uphill with little effort.  So some weeks I work out four times and others five times.  I have the kind of job working for myself where I can put in the time.  Each workout is 90 mins and I can easily complete it with nothing in my stomach but water or a handful of nuts.  So total hours varies each week from 6 to 7 1/2.  I think that is a good amount but tell me if you think that is too much or too little.  Already there is very little to no cardiac drift even near the end of a 90 min workout.

I want to learn and improve so I am open to suggestions.  This is the first time in my life where I feel I am working out within my self and in a healthy way and I am willing to stick through it because I'm so frustrated and tired of the nagging injuries and constant starting and stopping.  I plan on logging this journey here for all to read and to transform myself one step at a time.

SD_BlackHills

This is a very interesting summary of your experience.  I'm no expert.  I've been doing this for about 2.5 months now but I have experienced some of the same things.  My volume is almost identical to yours and I am seeing progress for what it's worth.

I also experience the walk/jog issue that you describe.  Sometimes a very fast walk will result in a much lower HR than a slow jog.  The jog is actually slower than walking pace if you can believe that and still spike my heart rate.  I do not know why but this absolutely happens to me.  A vast majority of my workout is now running but inevitably I'll hit these crazy walk/jog cycles where eventually I just give up and walk.

Based on your current MAF pace of 16 minutes per mile and the fact that you are only one month in, I would wager that you are very close to breaking out of the walk phase and into the slow jog phase.  Or at least jogging some percentage of time.  It will be interesting to see your progress in the coming months!

Hilltopper72

Hilltopper

This is a very interesting summary of your experience.  I'm no expert.  I've been doing this for about 2.5 months now but I have experienced some of the same things.  My volume is almost identical to yours and I am seeing progress for what it's worth.

I also experience the walk/jog issue that you describe.  Sometimes a very fast walk will result in a much lower HR than a slow jog.  The jog is actually slower than walking pace if you can believe that and still spike my heart rate.  I do not know why but this absolutely happens to me.  A vast majority of my workout is now running but inevitably I'll hit these crazy walk/jog cycles where eventually I just give up and walk.

Based on your current MAF pace of 16 minutes per mile and the fact that you are only one month in, I would wager that you are very close to breaking out of the walk phase and into the slow jog phase.  Or at least jogging some percentage of time.  It will be interesting to see your progress in the coming months!

Thanks for the note!  I am glad to hear that things are changing over the course of 2.5 months.  I must say it is pretty frustrating that you put in day after day after day and don't see much results.  At age 44, however, it will take longer I assume.  Today I did my second day in a row at 90 mins straight on the TM at 4.5 degrees about 3.5 mph and burned nearly 1200 calories!  Tomorrow is an off day where I will do pilates and a functional movement workout for an hour.  My legs aren't tired in the least bit, nor are my feet.  Moving from 135 to 140 alone makes my legs ache and my feet hurt so I am pretty sure I found my sweet spot.  As the guy next to me was running at 8.5 mph for a good 45 mins straight I tried not to go jump off a bridge!

BeeRunB

Hilltopper, welcome to the forum! 

What you're looking for is to get faster and faster at MAF heart rate, while maintaining health. Make sure to do an MAF test for walking and running, so you can have a benchmark. Anything from 1-5 miles will do, or you can test by time. Whatever works. The faster you get at MAF, the greater your endurance.

Good luck, and come on over and hang in the daily thread. A lot goes back and forth there.

--Jimmy

SD_BlackHills

Thanks for the note!  I am glad to hear that things are changing over the course of 2.5 months.  I must say it is pretty frustrating that you put in day after day after day and don't see much results.  At age 44, however, it will take longer I assume.  Today I did my second day in a row at 90 mins straight on the TM at 4.5 degrees about 3.5 mph and burned nearly 1200 calories!  Tomorrow is an off day where I will do pilates and a functional movement workout for an hour.  My legs aren't tired in the least bit, nor are my feet.  Moving from 135 to 140 alone makes my legs ache and my feet hurt so I am pretty sure I found my sweet spot.  As the guy next to me was running at 8.5 mph for a good 45 mins straight I tried not to go jump off a bridge!

I'm glad you mentioned the 8.5 mph treadmill guy.  I've found that when you are first starting this training (as we both are), that you really need to check your ego at the door.  It's tough when you see someone on the treadmill next to you going fast, you're feeling particularly energetic and you know that you can "compete" with his workout.  Resisting the urge to actually do so is not easy to do!

In the last 2.5 months I've walked down my HR on a treadmill next to that guy going 8+ MPH.  I've been passed by numerous runners out on the bike path that I could have easily outpaced.  I've passed runners only to have to start walking and then get passed by them.  As far as they know, I got tired and gave up!  Nope, just staying under MAF.  No one wants to look like a quitter but they don't know that.  The other day, I was passed by an 80 year old woman walking a dog.

So I totally get your "go jump off the bridge" comment!  So I figured I'd add some color to it for your entertainment and benefit.

Also, I don't think your age will slow your progress that much.  It's not uncommon at all for people in their late 40's and 50's to come out of nowhere with proper training and do very, very well.  I personally know 3 such people who didn't even start running until their late 40's and all posted Boston Marathon qualifying times recently.

BeeRunB

I'm glad you mentioned the 8.5 mph treadmill guy.  I've found that when you are first starting this training (as we both are), that you really need to check your ego at the door.  It's tough when you see someone on the treadmill next to you going fast, you're feeling particularly energetic and you know that you can "compete" with his workout.  Resisting the urge to actually do so is not easy to do!

In the last 2.5 months I've walked down my HR on a treadmill next to that guy going 8+ MPH.  I've been passed by numerous runners out on the bike path that I could have easily outpaced.  I've passed runners only to have to start walking and then get passed by them.  As far as they know, I got tired and gave up!  Nope, just staying under MAF.  No one wants to look like a quitter but they don't know that.  The other day, I was passed by an 80 year old woman walking a dog.

So I totally get your "go jump off the bridge" comment!  So I figured I'd add some color to it for your entertainment and benefit.

Also, I don't think your age will slow your progress that much.  It's not uncommon at all for people in their late 40's and 50's to come out of nowhere with proper training and do very, very well.  I personally know 3 such people who didn't even start running until their late 40's and all posted Boston Marathon qualifying times recently.

Great post, SD.

After awhile, I learned to stop competing with other people on the bike trail while I was training, whether they be runners, walkers, or people pushing baby carriages. Save it for the races.

I know of several runners who started in their 40's and progressed up until 65 years old or so. One competed nationally in his 60+ age group.

A comic I once drew depicting something I experienced on the bike trail that challenged my runner's ego:

Hilltopper72

Hilltopper

Too funny!

Great post, SD.

After awhile, I learned to stop competing with other people on the bike trail while I was training, whether they be runners, walkers, or people pushing baby carriages. Save it for the races.

I know of several runners who started in their 40's and progressed up until 65 years old or so. One competed nationally in his 60+ age group.

A comic I once drew depicting something I experienced on the bike trail that challenged my runner's ego:

SD_BlackHills

Hahah!  Great comic.  So true.

edithevans

Great comic. I really like it. pizza tower