Low HR Training

Progress above anaerobic threshold (AT) from aerobic base training (Read 29 times)

BeeRunB

From January 29 thru August 8th this year, I trained 99% of total volume at MAF heart rate or below, much of it well below. I went above just a few times at one point. I not only made progress in aerobic speed,  but also in anaerobic speed.

My last set of 4x4:00 intervals was performed in late January, and started up with some 4x.50 mile intervals last week. The heart rate ranges

were about 178-188 bpm for each workout. 176-178 bpm is my AT heart rate:

date distance time pace weight temp
     1/28/16  1.84  16:00  8:41  190 74º 
     8/21/16  2.00  16:36  8:18  196  83º

I improved by 23 seconds per mile in pace since January from a diet of aerobic work, despite the extra weight and stress from the extra heat (I'd be much faster at 190 and 74ºWink. My volume was not super high during the base period.

So often I've read from online running gurus that in order to get faster the only way is to workout as near your AT (or lactate threshold) as possible for everyday aerobic runs and tempos, or above for speedwork (intervals). Dr. Phil Maffetone has said all along you can get faster from a healthy diet of running at MAF or below. While intervals and working out at threshold help immensely, this shows that you don't have to bust your gut year round to maintain speed. The MAF base period will improve your speed at threshold.

Currently, I've entered the anaerobic phase and am focusing on what is called "polarized training." Basically, it's 80% of total duration at MAF and below with 20% intervals at 90-95% MHR.

That's it! 

Shondek

Hi, Jimmy, long time.I find it interesting that with polarized training you chose an 80/20 ratio as going by the rules of intervals you'd only get improvements for approximately 6 weeks, fine for peaking I imagine. 90/10 i feel would be more appropriate until improvements stop then move to 80/20.

I asked SS via twitter and he said after the study with the blokes on stationary bikes doing 4x8mins at 90% with 2 min recovery they were shagged out after 6 or so weeks.Do you have any data for us 

SD_BlackHills

Awesome, jimmyb! There is no doubt you can get faster with lots of super easy effort workouts. This is really strong evidence to support it. I do have a stupid question. How do you know that your aerobic threshold HR is 176-178? I just have assumed that lactate threshold was a function of time. For example, it might be 180 bpm for 60 minutes, something less than that for 2 hours, something even less than that for the marathon, etc. Keep up the good work!