Low HR Training

Stationary Bike (Read 562 times)

I would think that it would be easy to keep a consistent heart rate on a stationary bike.  If I ride a stationary bike in a spin class at 24 Hour Fitness for an hour does that give me the same MAF aerobic workout as running for an hour?

If my heart rate is 125 is that all that matters regardless of which exercise I use to get it there?

Chris

I would think that it would be easy to keep a consistent heart rate on a stationary bike.  If I ride a stationary bike in a spin class at 24 Hour Fitness for an hour does that give me the same MAF aerobic workout as running for an hour?

If my heart rate is 125 is that all that matters regardless of which exercise I use to get it there?

Yup, according to Maffetone.

I know Maffetone doesn't really consider Max HR in his method, but it still seems kind of weird to me that  you can use the same HR. Its said that your MaxHR for cycling is about 10 beats lower then running because it has a limited weight bearing component and swimming is another 5-10 lower then cycling because it has nearly no gravitational compnent. So if you have a MAF of 125 and a running Max HR of 160, then a 125 HR for swimming is a higher percentage of a Max HR of about 140-145 for that activity and is most likely a pretty hard workout. Btut who am I to question such things?

And as a plus, cycling fitness crosses over to runninig fitness quite nicely where as running fitness doesn't help your cycling much. I would try to cycle at the same if not a higher cadence as you run.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

And as a plus, cycling fitness crosses over to runninig fitness quite nicely where as running fitness doesn't help your cycling much. I would try to cycle at the same if not a higher cadence as you run.

Thanks for the info but I have no idea what my running cadence is!

I will just ride at 120-125 heart rate with medium intensity.

Chris

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I have a really hard time getting HR near MAF on recumbent bikes. Haven't done a spin class since blowing my knee in one about 8 years ago so don't know if that would get me to MAF, probably could. For me it would be a really challenging workout since my measured max HR is 137, if on bike that would be 127 and with MAF of 106-112 range would be 84% of max which is on the high end.

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

I ran instead.  My dog said he would not do well in spin class!

I am sure though that I could ride at a constant heart rate of 120-125.  If I try it I will let you know.

Chris

if it's a spinning bike then I think you'll be able to reach MAF HR without too much effort.

if it's just plain stationary bike then you'll probably have a hard time to maintain MAF HR, you'll probably want to use some lower HR. at least that's how it is for me and the people I asked. muscles go *anaerobic* at a pretty low-ish HR. maybe the body itself doesn't have much stress but the muscles sure do. and that in my opinion matters a lot.

Did the spin class this morning for an hour.  After warm up it was relatively easy to keep my heart rate at MAF 125.  I did not do the workout the teacher was leading as I just rode constant.

Good workout and a good break from running.

I think I will do this once a week.

Chris