Low HR Training

Newbie question (Read 40 times)

fayewolf

I stumble upon LHR training recently. im a 42 year old female, slowish runner, that started running couple years ago, on and off. I am lucky that I don't get imp juries, but that's prob because my volume is low and I am slow.

I haven't been running for a few months and now I'm wanting to train for a full marathon next year!! Thought this would be a good time to build the base. I usually run 9:30-9:45 on most of my runs, but I'm slow and have no business training at this pace.  Last night, out of curiosity, I strapped on the HRM and ran slower than usual, with DH forcing me to slow down.  avg pace was around. 10:30 and my heart rate avg was 136.   highest was 169, not sure what happened, but nothing unusual , pretty even throughout. That was a flat, evening, 6.5 miles run.

My goal is to build base and to get faster HM TIMEand hopefully PR marathon. My HM PR was 1:56 and marathon (only one) was 4:35

would this be a good training method for me? No speed workout?

Do I need to do the MAF test or the trial was sufficient?

Slow and Steady

Hi and welcome!

First off, have you estimated your target [low] heart rate as determined by Maffetone (or any other method)? That would be the starting point to determine if you are running within your low heart rate zone. But to answer your question, you'd want to stick with low heart rate training for at least a few months, before starting to incorporate speedwork. And yes, I'd recommend doing MAF tests once a month to gauge your progress.

Good luck!

I stumble upon LHR training recently. im a 42 year old female, slowish runner, that started running couple years ago, on and off. I am lucky that I don't get imp juries, but that's prob because my volume is low and I am slow.

I haven't been running for a few months and now I'm wanting to train for a full marathon next year!! Thought this would be a good time to build the base. I usually run 9:30-9:45 on most of my runs, but I'm slow and have no business training at this pace.  Last night, out of curiosity, I strapped on the HRM and ran slower than usual, with DH forcing me to slow down.  avg pace was around. 10:30 and my heart rate avg was 136.   highest was 169, not sure what happened, but nothing unusual , pretty even throughout. That was a flat, evening, 6.5 miles run.

My goal is to build base and to get faster HM TIMEand hopefully PR marathon. My HM PR was 1:56 and marathon (only one) was 4:35

would this be a good training method for me? No speed workout?

Do I need to do the MAF test or the trial was sufficient?

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

fayewolf

Thanks!! I estimated 137 based on my age. So instead of doing it on the track, I did my 6 mile run and it was right on target. I'm a but puzzled because while I'm athletic, I'm not fast or aerobic ally fit, but my 10:30 pace gets me avg of 136 (hr)

am I not suppose to look at average? I have the data from garmin I can copy once I get to my laptop

thanks!!

Slow and Steady

I guess everyone does it differently, but I have alarms set to keep me from going above my top end (131 bpm). So my average usually ends up being a couple/few beats below that. Sounds like you're on track, though! (Uh, figuratively.)

Thanks!! I estimated 137 based on my age. So instead of doing it on the track, I did my 6 mile run and it was right on target. I'm a but puzzled because while I'm athletic, I'm not fast or aerobic ally fit, but my 10:30 pace gets me avg of 136 (hr)

am I not suppose to look at average? I have the data from garmin I can copy once I get to my laptop

thanks!!

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

This is because your LT HR is probably not really that high. (Or your HR average was very different from what your HR actually was most of the time for the run.. do please give us data on that when you got it from your garmin.)

The 180-age formula is too generic, thus it gives different kinds of intensities to different people, for some it will be very much fat burning zone, for some it will not be.

Anyway, if you'd been running 9:30-9:45 until now then slowing down to 10:30 does sound like a good new stimulus for your body to train your fat burning more. Do make sure to increase your running mileage though.

I am not quite convinced that it's necessary to forego everything faster than that, or foregoing that for longer than 6-8 weeks.

A schedule of LHR runs with a couple of days where you run faster but not faster than ~10K race pace - with the exception of a few quick strides - can be a pretty good, sustainable and effective schedule to build aerobic fitness.

If you want to only do the LHR runs, make sure to do a higher mileage but of course without overloading yourself too much.

PS: Yes I am the heretic here Smile

fayewolf

Hi!! Is this graph sufficient? I've never used HR function before so I' not sure if it's good enough! What is lactic threshold HR for? Is that the same as the pace I run at 10k pace? But that heart rate?

Whats the relevance? I don't know what my max hr is but I do have a relatively low restinghr In the 50s.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg614/wolfgangchu/636159520412db5e967302bea086b591_zps0db89ffc.

yeah that graph is fine. I mean it has enough HR data. Did you have hills in the route or why did the HR go up so much at one point (and then go so low afterwards)?

LT HR is elicited at slightly slower than 10k pace for most people. When I mentioned LT HR I was referring to the idea that your calculated MAF HR may not be too much below your LT HR. For some people the calculated MAF HR is way below and for some other people it's not below by that much.

So, I meant this as a crude approximation of your HR profile but it's guesswork without more data... I was simply guessing here from your paces (pace at this supposed "MAF" run and your HM PR pace). But who knows if you are in the same shape now as you were for the HM PR. If you had data on your average HR for a half marathon race that would be more telling.

I mentioned 10k paced and/or somewhat slower than 10k pace intervals and tempos not because of the above but because those are pretty nice workouts without going way too anaerobic (like you would at faster paces), meaning it's more sustainable training, as long as the volume is not overdone either (intervals not too long for your fitness, and especially not too many repeats and not done too often). It is so easy for most people to run intervals too hard or too many of them and then screw up their training...

Hi!! Is this graph sufficient? I've never used HR function before so I' not sure if it's good enough! What is lactic threshold HR for? Is that the same as the pace I run at 10k pace? But that heart rate?

Whats the relevance? I don't know what my max hr is but I do have a relatively low restinghr In the 50s.

...I noticed now you said in the first post that it was a flat route and an even paced run?!? In that case your HR monitor is unreliable and forget about evaluating this data.

...let me know if that's not it. 

Btw, I assumed you meant that you expected some much slower pace than 10:30. That's why I was explaining about the LT HR stuff. Let me know if you meant something else in this post.

fayewolf

So here is a picture with my pace graph.  at least i think it's pretty even pace. Yep, cool evening, no hills.

Please tell me those heart rate spikes are just glitches or i'm crazy.  Ive only used the HRM (the one that goes with my garmin)...

Yes, i was a little puzzled why fitter people struggle to keep HR low but i didn't have much trouble (unless my HRM is crap..)  I expected mine would be like 13mm at the very least Smile

did you stop at some points in the run? that's what the pace graph seems to imply and it would explain some of the lower HR part. though not all of it...

btw I wouldn't say it was even pace, the pace graph doesn't have good resolution so it's hard to see it well and it's misleading; it does seem somewhat even - hard to see well as I said - but you did seem to speed up when your HR went up a lot. and then stop for some time (?).

why don't you try another run and see if that makes more sense. try to look at your watch and always keep under that 137 heart rate and see what happens. (set an alarm for 137 if that helps.) also, for the first 15minutes of warmup, keep it as low as possible, but at least under 130.

So here is a picture with my pace graph.  at least i think it's pretty even pace. Yep, cool evening, no hills.

Please tell me those heart rate spikes are just glitches or i'm crazy.  Ive only used the HRM (the one that goes with my garmin)...

Yes, i was a little puzzled why fitter people struggle to keep HR low but i didn't have much trouble (unless my HRM is crap..)  I expected mine would be like 13mm at the very least Smile

fayewolf

Thank you !! I'm horrible because I have no self control,I ran with my DH and he would have to ask me to slow down a lot.  Maybe that's why.  I stopped to tie my shoe laces and for traffic lights.

Will try again. I ran with my friend and dog today for 11 miles, and I wasn't able to keep it under 137. I could if I slow down, but I didn't want to make my friend wait, so I will try again next week Smile

Thank you !! I'm horrible because I have no self control,I ran with my DH and he would have to ask me to slow down a lot.  Maybe that's why.  I stopped to tie my shoe laces and for traffic lights.

Will try again. I ran with my friend and dog today for 11 miles, and I wasn't able to keep it under 137. I could if I slow down, but I didn't want to make my friend wait, so I will try again next week Smile

ok let us know next week