Low HR Training

Losing the Blubber...cooling the core... (Read 2314 times)

gregw

I'm down about a pound in the last two weeks.  I try to weigh everyday Mon-Fri, so there's quite a bit of noise, but the oscillations are heading in the right direction.  My big change is avoiding sugar.  I think I need a 12-step program for this!
      I'm down about a pound in the last two weeks.  I try to weigh everyday Mon-Fri, so there's quite a bit of noise, but the oscillations are heading in the right direction.  My big change is avoiding sugar.  I think I need a 12-step program for this!

My challenge is avoiding pizza. Once I start in on a piece, I can't stop until its gone.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

I'm not avoiding anything. Just keeping to a 55-30-15 and making sure their is a caloric deficit almost every day. When I get into avoiding, my Twinkie Desire Meter goes through the roof and suddenly I find myself getting cozy with a half-gallon of ice cream, instead of just having a cup when I want it. I am eating out less, and cooking more. I've never seen so many good, cheap restaurants within 10 miles of my house; the first year here in Atlanta, the thought of making a meal seemed like punishment.

The day after my long run, on my rest day, I was craving carbs, and ended up not having much of a deficit. I think I'm going to adjust what I eat after, and on the same day as, my long run. I don't think I ate enough, which set up a ravenous appetite the following day.

--Jimmy

Beginner all over again

......I'm not avoiding anything.......... making sure their is a caloric deficit almost every day...

This is my plan

And doing some XT -- which I had been doing None of

And I'm taking several days off after some Hard Effort at the HM, so I'll begin my Calisthenics/Pilates type routine today.

And the calorie deficit goals will require making some Wise Food Choices

Keep up the effort, Everyone...it can be tough to change, even a bit !

jdazzle

it's time for me to switch to training for my tri's coming up, so losing the blubber is paramount!  i know no one really looks good in tri shorts, but i want to reduce the muffin top to something that won't send children screaming.  first stop - 16 lb. loss.  maybe it's achievable in 8 weeks, but we'll see how performance suffers...  i think the cross training will be good for me knee as well.  i'll be checking in weekly!
            BeeRunB

it's time for me to switch to training for my tri's coming up, so losing the blubber is paramount!  i know no one really looks good in tri shorts, but i want to reduce the muffin top to something that won't send children screaming.  first stop - 16 lb. loss.  maybe it's achievable in 8 weeks, but we'll see how performance suffers...  i think the cross training will be good for me knee as well.  i'll be checking in weekly!

JD,

LOL

You might try measuring your %body fat, then keep tabs on that. It can help you

keep tabs on how much fat you are actually losing as opposed to other parts of

your body

("honey, the doctor just called and said his worst fears are true, my body ate my left nut during the diet.").

I've read in several places that aprox. 1.5 pounds of fat loss is about what

is possible for a normal body to metabolize in a week's time. I'm going with that,

figuring if I'm dropping 2 or more, I'm losing muscle and should increase calories

and protein.

--Jimmy

gregw

Someone came by my office offering free cookies left over from a meeting and I said "no thank you."  I want a gold star!  They are very good.
                BeeRunB

for Greg W

"W is for Willpower"

gregw

Thanks Jimmy!  That really brightened my day.

okay...just being a little mean now, OK? so uh, why does everyone in the USA have these cravings for pizza and cookies and ice cream??!

I'm not saying I never eat pizza or cookies but it happens quite rarely and not out of craving. pizza is best when I'm really too lazy to make food and just order food but even then I usually go for other things many times. cookie/donut is best when I'm frantically searching for something loaded with calories to make up for the calories lost in training run so that I don't lose any muscles (I don't have fat to lose from so I'm afraid about my muscles coming next). I was already lean enough before this stupid MAF but I since then managed to lose a couple more lbs without asking for it... because I'm never hungry after the runs :O

MAF running doesn't have this effect for you all?

ok, I know what it is... I must be an alien. :P

BeeRunB

I'm not hungry after a run, but I eat about 400-500 calories within a half hour after

the run--for recovery purposes.

The sweets thing is cultural for sure. My wife grew up in Hong Kong and

her desserts were fruit and red bean paste concoctions.

Me, I grew up with sugar cereals for breakfast (Quisp, Quake, Capt. Crunch,

Count Chocula, Sugar Belly Buttons, Sugar Poops,  Honey Comb, Lucky Charms, etc.). Lunch

was a sandwich, Cheezits, and for dessert: Twinkies, Devil Dogs, Oreos,Suzy-Q's

RIng DIngs, Chips Ahoy, etc.

For supper--it was whatever, followed by dessert: all of the above, and sometimes

bundt cakes, brownies, pudding, ice cream, ice cream sandwiches, etc.

During summer the ice cream use to come by "ding! ding! ding!" --salivation

at the sound of the bell.

Despite all this sugar, very few in my school or kids in my family were overweight. Back then

kids were active. We didn't have video games, and only watched a little TV every week. Always

outside playing, riding, running and walking.

Something changed along the way. Advertising got better, ingredients got worse (in the junk food),

kids started staying inside more, video games, portions got larger in restaurants....

Not many of us could keep those diets we had when we were kids. I tried to hang on, but blew up to

230 pounds by 1997.  I dropped to 175 in a few years, then took up running in 2003. I still have to watch out

with stress eating and overdoing the desserts. I can't shake dessert. I don't even bother trying anymore.

Instead, I eat healthier sweet things and on occasion some honest to goodness heaven like ice cream, chocolate cake, corn bread....

--JImmy

Ran_On_Empty

Me, I grew up with sugar cereals for breakfast (Quisp, Quake, Capt. Crunch,

Count Chocula, Sugar Belly Buttons, Sugar Poops,  Honey Comb, Lucky Charms, etc.). Lunch

was a sandwich, Cheezits, and for dessert: Twinkies, Devil Dogs, Oreos,Suzy-Q's

RIng DIngs, Chips Ahoy, etc.

Despite all this sugar, very few in my school or kids in my family were overweight. Back then

kids were active. We didn't have video games, and only watched a little TV every week. Always

outside playing, riding, running and walking.

Something changed along the way. Advertising got better, ingredients got worse (in the junk food),

kids started staying inside more, video games, portions got larger in restaurants....

--JImmy

Oh man you had to bring up Suzy-Q's, didn't you.

You missed scarfing down at the daily buffet in college. Put your 4$ down and eat all your 4500 calories in one sitting.....until you go to the bar and drink another 4500.

I blew up to 230 before I started to run again six yrs ago.  took some time off and am back at it.  Down to 197...stuck at 197.  Oh well, I will keep plugging along and try not to run into any Suzy-Q's. 

BeeRunB

ROE,

for people who just don't know the what the passion was about. I had a love affair with things in my teens. And as a bonus, Mr. October is on the box! I wonder how much the Suzy-Q trading cards trade for now. I'm sure they looked really great when cut out with scissors.  --Jimmy

P.S. Look at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any binges.

Ran_On_Empty

LOL....I can taste them now.  I was a sack lunch kid.  Mom would freeze the Q's and by lunch the filling would still be a little cold.   On a good day I would sneak another one in the lunch and trade for some 'hot lunch' dinner rolls.  Forgot about the cards.  See if you can round up some Twinkie the Kid videos.  What was it, King Ding Dong?  Did they print the ingredients back then?  

Found one Twinki The Kid

Ran_On_Empty

My challenge is avoiding pizza. Once I start in on a piece, I can't stop until its gone.

The Pizza or the piece???  For me, it's the pizza.