Low HR Training

Losing the Blubber...cooling the core... (Read 2314 times)

gregw

Still progressing.  I'm solidly down 3 pounds from my 164, which is remarkable to me considering I haven't increased my mileage and 164 was a pretty hard sticking point.  All I've done is cut back on sugar as much as possible.  My inspiration has been Sugar: The Bitter Truth on youtube.

Beginner all over again

just keep

55% carbs

30% fat

15% protein

with a calorie deficit

=================================================

I'm just reposting that from a post in the other Topic.

I was looking for the ratio and finally found it.

EDIT TO ADD:

Wow, that is Reeeally Tight on protein. 

That's really hard for me to keep under 15%

What are ya'll eating to hit that 15% protein number ? ?

Marylander

Wow, Frances, where are those numbers from? I would reverse the carb and protein numbers if it was me (wait, that is about what I do...). The other way just seems like a recipe for muscle loss.
        BeeRunB

just keep

55% carbs

30% fat

15% protein

with a calorie deficit

=================================================

I'm just reposting that from a post in the other Topic.

I was looking for the ratio and finally found it.

EDIT TO ADD:

Wow, that is Reeeally Tight on protein. 

That's really hard for me to keep under 15%

What are ya'll eating to hit that 15% protein number ? ?

That's just what I do, Francis. And it works for me so far. I'm losing fat and building muscle.

Doesn't mean it will work for you. That's not why I posted that. I was just sharing.

The quote is a bit out of context. The way you quoted it makes it look like I'm suggesting that others

try 55-30-15. I wasn't.

Some people, like elite Kenyan runners, eat 70% carbs and 10% protein, and do rather well. While some like Dean Karnazes eat more of a 40-30-30 type diets, an also do rather well. There are studies that show some of the ratios work for some, and don't work for others. I've tried 40-30-30, and find that my performance suffers. If i eat 70%, or carbo-load, I feel shaky and like crap. This particular 55-30-15 (which if you take out the fiber carbs which don't really count, it's more like 53-31-16) just happens to be working very well for me. It might have to be adjusted in the future if my needs change.

I'm getting at least 90-100 grams of protein a day from mostly whole protein sources. Eggs, beef, chicken, yogurt, pork, fish, etc. Eggs are a constant.

--Jimmy

p.s. Some readables. Lots of different opinions. Probably because a bunch of different diets

work for different people:

http://mattfitzgerald.org/blog/?p=26(The Myth Of The Optimal Diet)

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Dietary-Fat-and-Endurance-Athletes.htm

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19119

http://dean.runnersworld.com/2007/10/the-neanderthal-diet.html

http://www.halhigdon.com/Articles/Diet.htm

http://www.marathon.ipcor.com/Marathon-training-diet.htm

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=3955

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/162.shtml

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0127.htm

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Is_Atkins_for_runners__The_truth_about_carbs_and_protein.htm

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/the-truth-behind-the-atki.shtml

http://www.zonediet.com/Fitness/TeamZone/DeanKarnazes/tabid/190/Default.aspx

gregw

I know it was an outlier, but I saw 158.6 on the scale last night.  Holy crap.  I haven't raised my mileage and haven't counted calories (the only things that have worked for me in the past).  I just made an active effort to avoid added sugar.  I don't have my usual one or two hot chocolates out of the machine at work (70 calories each) and I don't eat sugary cereal or add sugar to my corn flakes.  I put a minimal amount of sugar in my coffee (can't stand substitutes).  I'm sure my calories are reduced and I go through a hungry period around 3 where I'd usually hit the hot chocolate, but I haven't felt like I'm starving myself.  When I get hungry I'll often eat some nuts, which have more calories than the hot chocolate.
            DrPhil

Sounds like you’re headed in the right direction, great job. This is such as common set of clues, and they could help you lose more fat (and weight) faster. The fact that you reduced your sugar and lost fat/weight is significant. It’s not about calories (in fact, people often eat more calories when cutting out sugar and carbs and still lose significant fat/weight. Cutting down on sugar can reduce insulin, enabling your existing workouts to burn more fat calories.

Another clue is corn flakes. Eliminating them could further improve fat burning (and weight loss as long as you’re checking). This is particularly important because the morning meal helps set your insulin mechanism. If I recall, the glycemic index of corn flakes is around 130 (at least in America – in other countries it’s lower). With table sugar being 100, you’ll store more fat by eating the cereal compared to eating the same amount of sugar in calories! You might consider a different option for breakfast, something lower glycemic (long cooking oats?) or switch to eggs.

The bit of sugar in your coffee may or may not be sufficient to maintain an insulin problem. Certainly the chances are it can if you have a high glycemic breakfast and drink coffee through the day.

Mid-afternoon hunger might indicate you haven’t consumed enough quality food at lunch, or it could be your breakfast catching up with you. It could also mean you need another snack, either mid morning or just before you hunger arrives. Either way, it could mean your blood sugar is lowering and the body is compensating by breaking down protein to correct the blood sugar drop. I’ve long observed that those following the Two Week Test rule of not allowing hunger are most successful at burning fat and losing weight (some of these folks each much more calories because they’re eating every 2-3 hours).

Nuts can be a good snack (raw almonds and cashews are best), but avoid the ones containing added oils. Having a much larger lunch, and saving some for your snack, is another option.

158.6? Can you run that out another couple of decimals? ☺

Phil

gregw

Wow.  Dr. Phil replied to my post!  It's an honor to have you on the board.

I'm trying to eat lower glycemic foods as well, but am trying to take it a step at a time and eliminating sugar seemed the easiest.  On the breakfast, I've cut back on the amount of cereal and generally have a hard boiled egg as well.  Since I've started this, I keep a bowl of hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator for snacks.  I tried eating an egg, an apple, and some cheese for breakfast, but it seemed like I'd get tired/hungry and sometimes have a headache mid-morning.

I think the mid-afternoon hunger is just not eating enough.  I generally run 8 miles in the morning and then have a small bowl of cereal and an egg.  With lunch I figure I barely get out of the caloric deficit.  I'll eat some nuts in the afternoon (unless I'm busy), but by the time I get home I'm starving and end up eating a lot before dinner.  Not ideal I know!  I'm working on it though.  Slow Burn is at our local library and I'm thinking of checking it out.

Thanks again for your comments.

BeeRunB

Congrats on your progress, Greg!

Phil,

For me I think the key to my reduction in bodyfat has been the 30% of calories from fat

and shots of raw olive oil before most meals (there's still some high glycemic carbs in my 55%

but most of it comes from medium to low glycemic carbs). I think a good

gauge is if the fat is coming off and you are building muscle at the same time.

If you're losing weight  and you waist-line isn't shrinking (%body fat not getting lower),

then the weight probably isn't fat.

What's your thoughts on olive oil? Have you seen anyone ever have a jump in progress

when they've started to include oils such as olive oil, and as bigger % of macronutrients?

Thanks for popping in.

--Jimmy

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

etc.) that I insert into the workout is: which

Sunday Weigh-in

181 lbs.  (start184 lbs.)

waist 41"  (start 42")

neck 15"  (start 15")

bodyfat  29.2% (start 31%)

fat lbs. 52.85  (start 57.04 lbs.)  loss=4.19 lbs. of lard

lean lbs. 128.15 (start 126.96)  gain=1.19 ibs. of boof

was 170-175 pounds. But I would like to surpass that, as I think that range was running a bit lardy as well.

--Jimmy

weight 161 lbs

waist    34"

neck      15"

bodyfat 17.2%**using jimmy's calulator-- which the Navy uses.

The goal is to get waist down 2 inches w/o losing weight .Add muscle. Junk food is the enemy especially after a long run.

Jimmy , you have set the bar.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Go, Ron!

Sunday Weigh-in

May 23   (start April 19)

179 lbs.  (start 184 lbs.)

waist 39.5"  (start 42")

neck 15"  (start 15")

body fat  26.9% (start 31%) calculator

fat lbs. 48.15  (start 57.04 lbs.)  loss=8.89 lbs. of lard

lean lbs. 130.85 (start 126.96)  gain=3.89 ibs. of boof

Still losing about a pound a week, net. Still losing approximately  1.8 pounds of fat per week, while gaining .8 pounds of muscle, hope, and conceit, otherwise known as "boof." 

Broke through the 170-179 lb door like a hungry cow through the gates of Elsie's Grass House.

Keep going, budding  leanies! Each pound of fat gone means a cooler core, better performance,

and less digging in from the band of the undersized underwear that we refused to give up.

--Jimmy

Can I be Frank

Walk This Way...this way

Broke through the 170-179 lb door like a hungry cow through the gates of Elsie's Grass House.

Keep going, budding  leanies! Each pound of fat gone means a cooler core, better performance,

and less digging in from the band of the undersized underwear that we refused to give up.

--Jimmy

Inspirational, Jimmy!
                        But, underwear??
                        Info-mercials promising "Abs" in three easy payments, in addition to buns of steel?..

I'm Athenian this season.
                        ts

BeeRunB

Inspirational, Jimmy!
                          But, underwear??
                          Info-mercials promising "Abs" in three easy payments, in addition to buns of steel?..

I'm Athenian this season.
                          ts

Thanks, Tom.

Didn't know you were a New York style type of guy. Although, on my end, never with running shorts.

I have abs, just can't see them. Not gonna pay. I have buns of...wait let me check...

popping fresh dough. I go further back. Atlantean.

--Jimmy

jdazzle

Monday weigh in (Week 3)

180lbs (start - 184.8)

Down another 1.2 this week.  Finished three cycling, swimming, and run workouts (even did my first brick workout!).  Biked to work 3 days out of five.  Still haven't made up the swim workout I missed two weeks ago, thinking about doing it today as my rest day activity.  Still on track. 

Body fat percentage as per the calculator is 18.6% but according to my fancy dancy scale at home it is 25.2%.  I'm leaning more towards the 25.2% number, but I know neither of them are particularly accurate.  Not really interested in caliper test at the moment as the size of my rear end is enough indication for me...

Can I be Frank

Walk This Way...this way

Thanks, Tom.

Didn't know you were a New York style type of guy. Although, on my end, never with running shorts.

I have abs, just can't see them. Not gonna pay. I have buns of...wait let me check...

popping fresh dough. I go further back. Atlantean.

--Jimmy

You got it goin on, Jimmy! ..Hail Atlantis!
                              Heck, you're a mere day trip from the Fountain of Youth, to boot.

If you decide to go, please tell Ponce that Swifty said hi!

ts

Ran_On_Empty

My body does not have the same ideas as my brain.  Going in reverse. 

May 24th  202 lbs.

Ran 5 days last week for a total of 23 miles.

new mantra....."Must not finish what the kids do not eat"