Low HR Training

How to properly do a MAF Test? (Read 22 times)

solarisrunner

I am not quite sure I understand how to do a proper MAF test. I've read several articles and have found contradicting information.

My MAF is 145, I am 35 years of age, have been running for three years, have had no injuries. I perform all MAF tests on a treadmill.

I am starting each test with a 15 min warm-up where I slowly bring my heart rate to around 135. This is generally around an 11:00 - 11:30 pace. After the fifteen minutes, I increase the pace on the treadmill to what I think might put me closer to 145, usually around 10:30 - 10:45. Sometimes I am able to run 10+ minutes without decreasing the pace other times I have to decrease it much sooner. I also find that closer to the last mile sometimes last two miles I am able to increase the pace again as my heart rate has settled a bit and come down.  This generally is around 35-45 min in.

Is this the correct method? Or have I been doing this incorrectly.  Have others found a method that seems to work better?

Thanks

SD_BlackHills

I am not quite sure I understand how to do a proper MAF test. I've read several articles and have found contradicting information.

My MAF is 145, I am 35 years of age, have been running for three years, have had no injuries. I perform all MAF tests on a treadmill.

I am starting each test with a 15 min warm-up where I slowly bring my heart rate to around 135. This is generally around an 11:00 - 11:30 pace. After the fifteen minutes, I increase the pace on the treadmill to what I think might put me closer to 145, usually around 10:30 - 10:45. Sometimes I am able to run 10+ minutes without decreasing the pace other times I have to decrease it much sooner. I also find that closer to the last mile sometimes last two miles I am able to increase the pace again as my heart rate has settled a bit and come down.  This generally is around 35-45 min in.

Is this the correct method? Or have I been doing this incorrectly.  Have others found a method that seems to work better?

Thanks

I believe your process is correct as long as you repeat it exactly the same every single time.  You have a very good warmup and are running as close to MAF as possible (increasing or decreasing speed to match that heartrate).

BeeRunB

I agree with SD. Just has to be done the same way every time, keeping your HR at MAF.  To add, tests can be done by duration or distance. For example, I often do 45 minute tests.  If I'm going further at the same HR within the same duration, then I'm improving. I also think a test can be 1 mile long or 10. The first mile pretty much shows the same improvement or regression as mile 5 anyway. If you're getting faster in the 1st mile at 145 bpm, you're getting faster in the 5th.

I've heard it said that if mile 5 is faster than the previous miles then either an external condition has changed, or you didn't warm up enough. Not sure if the latter is true or not.  I warm up 20 minutes for a test, but 15 might be enough as well. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just do the test the same way every time. Treadmill is good as it takes out some variables (like wind, sun, and hills).

You'll know you're getting faster at the same HR from regular runs as well.