Low HR Training

Maffetone/Mittleman disciples over 60 years of age (Read 282 times)

2011 Redding (CA)

How many readers from this discussion group... following low HR training methods ... are over 60 years of age? And a further limitation, how many have run more than 5 marathons within the past couple of years? Sharing experiences would be interesting ... since the study groups Maffetone used to construct the "180 Formula" did not include us and he has very little to say about older runner. In fact, I can find no written accounts of "how" Maffetone derived the "180 Formula" other than he worked backwards from athlete results. Not the best methodology for scientific research, but effective none-the-less.

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)

Rudolf

Hi Istvan, I am only 54 this year, but if I tell You I have done Budapest marathon in 80's (Rank Xerox), will that give me entry into this topic ? and my first funrun was Komarom-Komarno 10k. Big grin Evil grin
      lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

How many readers from this discussion group... following low HR training methods ... are over 60 years of age? And a further limitation, how many have run more than 5 marathons within the past couple of years? Sharing experiences would be interesting ... since the study groups Maffetone used to construct the "180 Formula" did not include us and he has very little to say about older runner. In fact, I can find no written accounts of "how" Maffetone derived the "180 Formula" other than he worked backwards from athlete results. Not the best methodology for scientific research, but effective none-the-less.
        Stephen, I'm 59.5 y.o..... but with zip for marathon history. Would like to mention that the demographic you mention exists within this forum. A couple of really bright and experienced gentlemen come to mind. Slogino LongRunNick I'm sure there are others. Wish they would weigh in. Really miss their input. Who knows? They may resurface. Saw your other post regarding your training. You appear to be far more advanced than I. How do you fare within that heart rate band? I've gone down, down, down to an average heart rate whilst maffing of ~100-111 bpm and really enjoy it. Not sure how effective it's been. (Maf test slacker) Will keep my eyes/ears open for developments. Thanks Stephen lg
        ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
        Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
        ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)

2011 Redding (CA)

Thanks Rudolf and lowgear1 ... glad to have you both join the discussion. The Budapest Marathon is a good admission ticket (as if one is needed). Not sure if runners over 55 (say) have different issues relative to LHR training, but thought it might be fun to see. Obviously hope some of those you mentioned join in. Looking back over the past two years of marathoning (14 or so races), I saw a common denominator with rare exception: fading in the last 5-6 miles of the race. That would normally indicate a conditioning (endurance) problem, and that is just what Maffetone and Mittleman confirmed. Not wanting to run more miles per week (now in the 35-45 range) and fearful of running more than 3 days a week (injury free and excellent recovery), LHR training seemed the answer. I've always had a high heart rate (but quick recovery), so average HRs of 150 plus and maximum HRs of 170 plus during marathons was not alarming. However, because of the sugar-burning system working overtime, I did need to ingest GELS every 45-50 minutes. It seems like a silly cycle after reading Maffetone and Mittleman. My current three-week training cycle looks like this ... and I try very hard to stay below 130 at all times: Week 1: Mon (10 miles), Wed (10 miles), Fri (10 miles) Week 2: Mon (10 miles), Wed (10 miles), Fri (15 miles) Week 3: Mon (10 miles), Wed (10 miles), Fri (20 miles) Naturally there is a taper before and each marathon ... and marathons are about all I run each year.

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)