Low HR Training

HR Monitors (Read 477 times)

My Hero

Trying to hit my target HR without a monitor and I'm not gifted enough to accomplish that on the run... I do have the Garmin 205, but don't have the $$ for the 305 right now. After reading that article Mark Allen wrote on LHR training, there was an ad in the article from Cat Eye. Does anyone have any feedback on the MSC-HR20 model? I'm seeing this advertised new from around 50-75 bucks. Generally, you get what you pay for, but this looks like it might be ok as an entry level heart monitor. Thanks in advance!

run-easy-race-hard

the nike triax c8 is pretty good, too, and they are very cheap on ebay, less than that.
      GMoney

Right now I am using the Oregon Scientific SmartHeart HRM. It doesn't store HR data, so you can't get an average, but it does have an audio alarm and stopwatch. It's about as bare bones as I've been able to find, and the price was definitely right. The battery on the chest strap is user replaceable too. If you don't mind (or, like me, don't want) a lot of bells and whistles this one may work for you. P.S. Oregon Sci. also offers a "talking" HRM, but I avoided that one like the plague. An audio alarm is bad enough. I didn't want to hear HAL talking to me throughout my run.
        labhiker

Does anyone have any comments or feedback on the newer Garmin 405? It won't belong before the battery in my older Polar S210 expires and Im thinking of modernizing my HR monitor so I can pick up live GPS splits and distance. I have no complaints with my Polar S210 other than it does not provide distance which makes it difficult to record split times. No complaints with Polar other than Im interested in GPS. Being plastic is the Garmin chest strap comfortable? My Polar uses the fabric wearlink and has never been an issue.

labhiker

Does anyone have any comments or feedback on the newer Garmin 405? It won't belong before the battery in my older Polar S210 expires and Im thinking of modernizing my HR monitor so I can pick up live GPS splits and distance. I have no complaints with my Polar S210 other than it does not provide distance which makes it difficult to record split times. No complaints with Polar other than Im interested in GPS. Being plastic is the Garmin chest strap comfortable? My Polar uses the fabric wearlink and has never been an issue.
            I own a 405....been using it for about a month. No complaints so far. I got it for free, or I'd still be using my trusty Polar RS200SD. I wore both for a 4 mile run. They both recorded the 4th mile within 2 seconds of each other. I definitely prefer the Garmin, however. The one complaint is that I can't wear it mountain biking. It keeps the signal in the woods, but doesn't catch every tight corner. I guess that's what the bike computer is for. Running in the woods would probably be fine, since you aren't going as fast. ETA: Yes, the Garmin chest strap is comfortable. I was skeptical of this as well. Actually, it stays in place better. The Polar strap has a tendency to slide down.

Future running partner.

I find the garmin looses accuracy, with the more turns you make. I did a workout on the track of about 4miles at a 7:30 pace. It actually recorded 4 miles about 150m before the end of the 16th lap. When I imported the workout, I was expecting to see a near perfect oval, but just the opposite. GPS points veried by probably about 20 to 25 feet to the left or right.

run-easy-race-hard

I find the garmin looses accuracy, with the more turns you make. I did a workout on the track of about 4miles at a 7:30 pace. It actually recorded 4 miles about 150m before the end of the 16th lap. When I imported the workout, I was expecting to see a near perfect oval, but just the opposite. GPS points veried by probably about 20 to 25 feet to the left or right.
                My guess is that you need to update the firmware and GPS chipset then by installing the garmin webupdater. There's no reason your GPS should exhibit significant errors, especially ones that grow for each subsequent run.
                  My guess is that you need to update the firmware and GPS chipset then by installing the garmin webupdater. There's no reason your GPS should exhibit significant errors, especially ones that grow for each subsequent run.
                  Jesse, have you used your Garmin on tight, twisty off-road trails? If so, has your Garmin measured the distance accurately? I've only biked the trails with mine. It measured at least 10% short. I'm guessing it's because the Garmin records your location every second or two and draws a line. When you have a lot of tight corners, much of the route gets missed. I'm just curious if the same thing happens while running.

run-easy-race-hard

I have used it on trails with tight turns, but not a lot of continuous zigzag. There is no doubt that on such trails, the real-time measurement will be off, but as long as there wasn't a lot of multipath or signal outages, you should be able to get an accurate post-processed measurement if you use the motionbased gravity correction or one of the other download sites that maps it to the accurate terrain maps using the GPS lat/lon. You should be able to look at the map it produces and tell if there were outages or multipath.
                      This is the nature of GPS in general. It tracks points of data, and has no idea of the exact arc you took around the track, but rather it approximates the distance between the data points. I lose about 0.01 per lap on a track, which is still pretty accurate when it comes down to it. Smile

Future running partner.

I have used it on trails with tight turns, but not a lot of continuous zigzag. There is no doubt that on such trails, the real-time measurement will be off, but as long as there wasn't a lot of multipath or signal outages, you should be able to get an accurate post-processed measurement if you use the motionbased gravity correction or one of the other download sites that maps it to the accurate terrain maps using the GPS lat/lon. You should be able to look at the map it produces and tell if there were outages or multipath.
                        Thanks for the heads up. I just updated.