Low HR Training

Awfully quiet in here... (Read 361 times)

Forever Learning

No new posts in almost 5 weeks? I guess we have all been out there running Big grin

run-easy-race-hard

Hopefully those doing this kind of training are really seeing some pace increase as the dewpoints and temperatures are dropping in most places. Just hit a new 2 mile PR today so now this year, I've PRed in 2, 13.1, 26.2, 50, and 100 mile distances. And I still haven't added any speedwork.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Congrats, Jesse....awfully nice to be running faster and not have to do all that hard, fast training Wink Jeff, I have not been around much because I have just moved back to NH from NM and am buried in new job, new house and getting used to running in humidity again Wink I am still training using this method, although I am slower due to age, last weekend I ran a 4 miler in NH in 27:54, finishing 9th overall, 3rd in my AG. I train at a lower HR than I did when I first started Maffetoning back in 2003, but my daily pace is much quicker than when I began. I generally train between 9-10 mpm on trails and my race average on Saturday was high 6's on a hilly course. A nice test will be the half marathon I'm running on Saturday....only problem is it is supposed to be humid and mid 80's, not what I was expecting when I signed up! I'll just go with the flow, but the final time will be slower. Keep up the low heart rate training, it pays off in time! Like anything good, it does take time to see results, but when you get there, it is a plan for life! Steve
        Life is short, play hard!

Wasatch Speedgoat

1:42:10 for a 7:48 pace...90th overall out of 1200 and 4th in my age group out of 39. 85 degrees and humid, but I felt comfortable and strong the whole time, passing people from the start right to the finish. Most of my training is between 9 and 10 mpm... I attribute this to my low HR training and weekly 5k races since late July. On to the marathon on November 4th in Manchester, NH. I am hoping for a 3:30 to get a BQ. I need a 3:45 at age 56.... Keep up the LHR training, it works! Steve
            Steve, Great job in the half, and good luck with the marathon. Welcome back to the east coast! Carl

Wasatch Speedgoat

Thanks, Carl....I like your Avatar title....is it really here??? I guess it is now. Still haven't decided on the marathon yet, still have a foot ache... ...and I'm not happy about being back here, it was my wife's fault! We will go back to beautiful New Mexico! Steve

run-easy-race-hard

Yeah, it's tough being back in the east after living in the mountains in NM (with dry air) for several years (I've finally gotten used to it)! I'm sure you'll get over your aching feet in time. Good luck!

Forever Learning

I have seen progress. How much came from low HR and how much from weight loss is tough to say. I am in my 11th week of a 24 week Pete Pfitzinger plan. I did roughly 8 weeks of low HR before. All told the "base" portion approaches 14-15 weeks. There were a few tempo runs and strides during the Pfitz base but most miles are near my MAF of 151. Long runs get into the 160 range (75% HRR). In the June timeframe I was running near 11:30 pace to stay under MAF and now can run 10:30 in similar heat/humidity. On the TM I can run 9:15-9:20 pace (with no incline - so closer to 9:50 outside) and stay under 151 HR. During this period I have dropped 15 lbs and that alone will help my pace. I know several people believe the typical weight loss associated with a low HR program (i.e., more time running and more fat burned vs. glycogen) might be one of the causes of improved pace. While I am not 100% sold on exclusively training at a MAF type HR, I do think using that for the base period and certainly during easy/recovery days has helped. No doubt another season of running and building my aerobic base further will only yield more improvements. PS - Steve, welcome back to the humidity. Hope the move and job change are all for the best!

Wasatch Speedgoat

Thanks, Jeff....I'd like to say I'm happy to be back, but I can't Tongue Congrats on the improvements....I'm sure it's due to both losing the weight and training as much as you can at low HR and training at low HR has helped you lose the weight. Running at too fast a pace is stressful and stress beats us up and does not help in weight loss. I am with you about the training....all of your base work should be at a low HR, but you need to occasionally ramp it up or you won't improve...or your improvement stalls. After just running the half, I'll only do low HR training now until the marathon because that's all I feel I need now. Next Spring I'll get back into the hills doing repeats, then tempo runs. As for living in NM...I'll be going back someday. Good luck with it all and hope the improvement continues! Steve