Low HR Training

new MAF-er (Read 249 times)

Hi All ! Started serious MAF training this week. It's working well; I'm even able to speed up a bit. Very impressed with the ease of the workouts. Just the rest I needed. I'm 54 and started running 14 months ago. I've worked out with weights nearly all my life, so I was able to keep relatively trim. However, my weight would vary by about 10 pounds between bouts of dieting. Decided I'd had it with the yo-yo effect. Enter running. Always hated it, but I hated my fat pad more, so I reluctantly started plodding. To my surprise, after a few weeks I found I liked it. Entered a 10k after 6 months of training (PR 1:03:05) and was hooked. I continued training the "traditional" way, but apparently I was training too hard and probably too often. Haven't had any injuries, but was getting progressively more tired and less motivated to work out. LHR training is like a breath of fresh air for me. Sure, I feel like a dope plodding along. So what! From what I've been reading on the forum and elsewhere (Slow Burn), the benefits of this training are enormous. So if I must run like a 90 year-old arthritic for awhile, so be it. And since I don't care about running fast, this type of training suits my temperment well. I'd like to thank you all for your great contributions. I would never have discovered LHR training if not for this forum. <now> Paul</now>
    C-R

Welcome aboard and you hit a great forum. Lots of helpful folks here. LHR training has helped me in '08 and I'm a firm proponent. Don't lurk as we all learn from each other's experiences and trials. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

A hearty welcome aboard Capt'! Nice to see a fellow boomer giving LHR training a go. You appear to be doing quite nicely. I took the liberty to click some of the links in your blogs. Fascinating stuff. Love "Dr. Brain Murphy", especially, but i've only just begun to peruse. A real treat so far! Thank you. lg
        ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
        Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
        ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
        Shiksa

Welcome! These folks know so much it will make your head spin.

Stacy
          I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

BeeRunB

Welcome, Paul. Like your blog. Good News: The slowness is temporary. If done properly you will become an aerobizilla. Bad News: You are now on the far reaches of the running universe--where massive clouds of fat collide with spinning spheres of oxygen and specks of glycogen to produce energy that will bring you experiences that the general running population will label "weird" and attribute them to running in slow motion too much--be prepared for the isolation, the snickers, the bumper stickers ("Hey Maffers, Fat-Burn This..."), and the scarlet M. Good luck. Keep goinng! ---jimmy
              Welcome, Paul. Like your blog. Good News: The slowness is temporary. If done properly you will become an aerobizilla. Bad News: You are now on the far reaches of the running universe--where massive clouds of fat collide with spinning spheres of oxygen and specks of glycogen to produce energy that will bring you experiences that the general running population will label "weird" and attribute them to running in slow motion too much--be prepared for the isolation, the snickers, the bumper stickers ("Hey Maffers, Fat-Burn This..."), and the scarlet M. Good luck. Keep goinng! ---jimmy
              Weird experiences? You mean like Altered States? Hey, I lived through the 60s! You can't get any weirder than that. Big grin So let the masses laugh. I'll just shake the dust off my bare(ly) running feet and wiggle my sleek aerobizilla butt at them. Or something like that. Very impressive profile, jimmy! I'll be checking out your plays. Another writer, awesome! Lowgear-- Glad you like my stuff. The Faxer is going to be a trilogy. Working on books 2 & 3 now. As Chris Farley might say, "So frickin' what?" Like the world really needs more crappy books. Well, at least my wife knows where I am at night--in front of my typewriter. (That's right, I work on a manual typewriter. Curiouser and curiouser). Thanks for the welcome, guys! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. Paul